FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Bali Hai - San Diego Monthly Monday Meetups
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Bali Hai - San Diego Monthly Monday Meetups
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-24 1:57 pm   Permalink

Hello Bamboo Bev,

Not really any other tiki bars in San Diego, but there are plenty not too far up north. Are you heading to Tiki Caliente? That is the weekend after those dates you posted. Or are you headed up to LA to check out some other tiki bars on your visit?

I am happy to give you any advice on things to do in San Diego, there are lots of fun things to do. Bali Hai is the only tiki bar, but there are plenty of craft cocktail bars and brewerys in the area.

On Tuesday evening, the first date you listed you will be in town, a few bars offer a Tiki Tuesday. Bar Pink is my favorite, but that is only on Tuesday.

Feel free to PM me with any advice you might need about San Diego or the whole of Southern California, I am happy to help. I hope you have a fun visit!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 10:34 pm   Permalink

The Cat Eye Club in the Gasslamp District is moving towards tiki. I don't know if it's only on Thursdays or if it's going to be every day. My wife knows one of the owners and got me a menu. The ad card says Tiki Thursday, but I think it will be tiki every day in the near future. They owners are making the bartenders take mandatory classes, like the history of tiki, rum classes, etc... They are re-decorating a bit too. I don't know when they will be finished, but it sounds very promising!

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bev
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-26 01:18 am   Permalink

Thank you for the info, from San Diego we head to Vegas then back to Palm Springs then heading up to Santa Maria its a shame we will miss that event in Palm Springs by a day, but we are trying to make the most of our trip

View Profile of Bamboo Bev Send a personal message to Bamboo Bev      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 09:24 am   Permalink

This is the first time Ive heard of the Cat Eye Club. (I do not get out much) Im glad they are taking the time to pursue tiki drinks. It looks like they have a strict dress code.

Id check out their dress codes many restrictions before heading there. Have a safe and fun trip.

http://cateyeclubsd.com/dresscode.html

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jolly Roger

Posted: 2014-04-26 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-26 09:24, Sofa King wrote:

This is the first time Ive heard of the Cat Eye Club. (I do not get out much) Im glad they are taking the time to pursue tiki drinks. It looks like they have a strict dress code.

Id check out their dress codes many restrictions before heading there. Have a safe and fun trip.

http://cateyeclubsd.com/dresscode.html

Patrons must have two forms of photo ID? Seriously? My California Driver's License would not be enough and I would have to dig out my passport to go to a bar in San Diego?

View Profile of Jolly Roger Send a personal message to Jolly Roger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 11:11 am   Permalink

Good catch about the dress code! I just asked my wife & she says they aren't strict anymore. They need to update their site.

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-27 1:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip on this place. We'll have to check it out next time we're downtown (though that probably won't be til Comic Con!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Angel

Posted: 2014-05-03 10:18 pm   Permalink

Creepxotica was awesome in April! Will there be a meet up on Monday May 5th?

View Profile of Aloha Angel Send a personal message to Aloha Angel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slinger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-03 11:15 pm   Permalink

Yes, there will be a Cinco de Mayo Monday meet up.

Aloha John

View Profile of Tiki Slinger Send a personal message to Tiki Slinger  Email Tiki Slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-20 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-24 22:34, Kiwi Steve wrote:
The Cat Eye Club in the Gasslamp District is moving towards tiki. I don't know if it's only on Thursdays or if it's going to be every day. My wife knows one of the owners and got me a menu. The ad card says Tiki Thursday, but I think it will be tiki every day in the near future. They owners are making the bartenders take mandatory classes, like the history of tiki, rum classes, etc... They are re-decorating a bit too. I don't know when they will be finished, but it sounds very promising!

I went downtown to check the tiki night out last thursday. Not busy and lots of seating. Patrons had broken every dress code restriction within the first hour I was there, so I think they just want people to come down no matter what they are wearing. Also I never got ID'd nor did I need 2 forms. Talked with David the bartender for quite some time. Sounds like they are getting more and more into rum and tiki drinks. They had a full menu of tiki drinks and you can order them any day, not just thursday (although they may be more strict on attire on Friday and Saturday nights). They are making a newer menu as well and refining their drinks. They also sponsored a room party at Caliente, so I think they really want this to work. It would have been nice if they had more tiki decor, but all and all it is worth seeing for yourself. We all know SD needs more tiki!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-20 12:03, lunavideogames wrote:

I went downtown to check the tiki night out last thursday. Not busy and lots of seating. Patrons had broken every dress code restriction within the first hour I was there, so I think they just want people to come down no matter what they are wearing. Also I never got ID'd nor did I need 2 forms. Talked with David the bartender for quite some time. Sounds like they are getting more and more into rum and tiki drinks. They had a full menu of tiki drinks and you can order them any day, not just thursday (although they may be more strict on attire on Friday and Saturday nights). They are making a newer menu as well and refining their drinks. They also sponsored a room party at Caliente, so I think they really want this to work. It would have been nice if they had more tiki decor, but all and all it is worth seeing for yourself. We all know SD needs more tiki!

Lunavideogames, thank you for your service. Here's an article about the tikification of Cat Eye Club:

http://sandiego.eater.com/archives/2014/05/15/east-villages-cat-eye-club-takes-itself-towards-tiki.php

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 9:29 pm   Permalink

Hmm. Well, I guess we better hurry:

"Managing partner Frank Miller says that Cat Eye will remain in tiki mode through the summer but come fall, the menu and theme may stay within the era but make a seasonal shift towards aperitif cocktails and fondue."

In other news, a week and a half til our next Bali Hai meetup!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiModa

Posted: 2014-05-31 11:46 am   Permalink

Aloha! We had a great meet up in May!
An added surprise was meeting the former Miss Aloha Maui, official hostess, (Lei) and her husband Don.
This sweet couple, married 60 years, comes to the Bali Hai as often as they can from their home in Carlsbad. They say it reminds them of Hawaii.
They were both very interested and pleased to hear about our SD Monday Tiki group. Lei and Don Met while Lei was touring with the governor of Hawaii, and vice president Nixon and his wife. They were engaged 12 hours after their first meeting. (see pic) If you happen to see them in the Bali Hai lounge, stop by and say, "Aloha!". One more cool thing about this couple, they gave one of their two sons the middle name "Tiki".
(photos courtesy Lei's wallet-thank you Lei!)
Take care everyone! See you next month on June 2nd!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiModa 2014-05-31 11:58 ]

View Profile of TikiModa Send a personal message to TikiModa  Email TikiModa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-31 12:02 pm   Permalink

Looks like you Tikiphiles have a blast. I may not make it down to San Diego till next year, but surely want to schedule so I can take advantage of your meet-up at my favorite place in San Diego. Named my dining room the Bali Hai. CHEERS

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 05:46 am   Permalink

Look forward to seeing all tomorrow....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation