FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Bali Hai - San Diego Monthly Monday Meetups
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Bali Hai - San Diego Monthly Monday Meetups
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 1:27 pm   Permalink

Wow, I completely messed up. I guess all the talk of "tiki Tuesdays" made me think it was tonight instead of last night. Oh well, I've put July 1 on my calendar.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-04 4:14 pm   Permalink

Arriano, you will have to make the next one! We missed you!

Very fun monthly meet up. I got there at 8 as well, and a bunch of people had already left, but it seemed like everyone I know got there around the same time as me. It was a good turnout. Thank you to Tiki Slinger for putting this together for us! We need to keep the SD tiki crew together. It was fun meeting new people and as always, great food and drinks!

Here are some pics from my phone. I think others have some better pictures, hopefully they will make their way to this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-06-05 00:39 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 4:19 pm   Permalink

Makin it happen! hope you cats had a good time & keep it going!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 7:47 pm   Permalink

Sorry to have missed it ( that darn 4 letter WORK word messed up my plans). I hope to make it next time!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slinger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-04 11:03 pm   Permalink

Well, we did it. We had a great turnout. Thanks to all that came out. Lots of new friends were made and it was good to see all our old pals too. Many traveled a fare distance to join us, thanks for making the trek.

I tried to get pictures of everyone, but I missed Steve and Anders. Sorry guys. Thanks Atomic Tiki Punk for the encouraging words, maybe we'll see you on the 1st.

We look forward to seeing those who couldn't make it last night at the next one on July 1st.

Mahalo

The Group. Mark, Jenette, Mark, Cynde, Nathan, Michelle, John, Chandelle, Elena, April, Me, David, Michelle and Derek.

Michelle and Derek.

Treg and Emily.

Derek and David.

Chandelle and John.

Michelle and Nathan.

Mark and Cynde.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-07-02 00:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-07-02 07:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-01-06 10:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:02 ]

View Profile of Tiki Slinger Send a personal message to Tiki Slinger  Email Tiki Slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 4:30 pm   Permalink

Just chiming in late to say sorry we missed this one. Looks like a great turnout, glad it was a success. We hope to be there next month!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maitai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-18 3:43 pm   Permalink

Darn, I will be in SD in July and September but unfortunately not the first Monday of either month. Love the Bali Hai. It is my Mecca.

View Profile of Maitai Mike Send a personal message to Maitai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-18 3:51 pm   Permalink

Let us know when you want to go. Maybe we can meet up anyway. We need more excuses to go to Bali Hai!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 7:35 pm   Permalink

That's awesome!
I was bummed that I would be missing Tiki Oasis by a few days. My family and I will be vacationing in San Diego during the first week of August, and we'll be staying just across the street at Humphry's Half Moon Inn. Thanks for filling a tiki shaped hole in my heart! See you on August 5th.

Do any of you S.D. natives know of any other tiki happenings in the area? We'll be in town from Aug 3-8. We plan on getting as far North as Trader Sam's, then heading back home to Colorado (Maybe stop at Frankie's in Vegas on the way). Any info would be greatly appreciated!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTie 2013-06-19 19:53 ]

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-23 1:33 pm   Permalink

Not too much tiki in SD. A few places have tiki Tuesday, High Dive, Bar Pink and Nobel Experiment.

Trader Morts and Freaky Boutiki are good stores to check out.

Also just got a hot tip from OB Tiki, Raglan in OB he's a new rum drink! There first one I wouldn't have served to my worst enemy, but this new one is from a bartender who used to work at Tikis bar and grill in Waikiki. There they have a drink called the 1944 Mai Tai. At Raglan it is called the Rum Drink 2.0. I don't want to say it is exact in fear that they might take it away from me, but it is the best Mai Tai in SD besides Bali Hai IMHO. Although, I cannot vouch for the music or menu metaphors here.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 2:03 pm   Permalink

Looks like you guys had fun
Wish we were there

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 6:05 pm   Permalink

Oh, wow, we really liked the Tiki's 1944 Mai Tai. That would almost entice me to go to OB.

[ This Message was edited by: bamalamalu 2013-06-23 18:18 ]

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-23 13:33, lunavideogames wrote:
Not too much tiki in SD. A few places have tiki Tuesday, High Dive, Bar Pink and Nobel Experiment.

Trader Morts and Freaky Boutiki are good stores to check out.

Also just got a hot tip from OB Tiki, Raglan in OB he's a new rum drink! There first one I wouldn't have served to my worst enemy, but this new one is from a bartender who used to work at Tikis bar and grill in Waikiki. There they have a drink called the 1944 Mai Tai. At Raglan it is called the Rum Drink 2.0. I don't want to say it is exact in fear that they might take it away from me, but it is the best Mai Tai in SD besides Bali Hai IMHO. Although, I cannot vouch for the music or menu metaphors here.

Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely plan on going back to Trader Mort's and Freaky Boutiki again. I've been to Bar Pink before and, between the drinks, the crowd, and the band, I had a great time. Now, here's a loaded question... Are High Dive and Noble Experiment "fun"? What I mean to say is are they frat boy/Jimmy Buffet bars or pretentious cocktail snobs, respectively? Not to be an unyielding tiki purist, but I'll only be in town for 1 Tuesday, and I wouldn't mind going back to Bar Pink if it is the best choice.

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-24 12:16 pm   Permalink

Just my opinion but...

Bar Pink is my favorite of the 3. Although I haven't been to the High Dive on a Tuesday yet, but people seem to like it. Nobel Experiment definitely caters to hipsters, but they have guest bartenders from some cool places from time to time. You might want to check out who the guest might be that week.

As far as drinks go, I would say Nobel Experiment is the best choice. At Bar Pink it depends who is bartending for drink quality. Nobel Experiment seems to have a large drink menu, and most that I tried were good. The crowd seems to just drink beers, although they just started the tiki Tuesday, so it may bring in a different crowd as it evolves.

None are very tiki, but Bar Pink usually has some good bands to go along with your drinks. High Dive also has a pinball tournament, so they have a lot of vintage pinball machines, but that is not tiki either.

I hope that helps. At least you have some information to better form your own opinion. Have a great time in SD!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-24 1:17 pm   Permalink

One week til the next Monday night meet up! Hope to see some friends and new faces!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation