FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 6:36 pm   Permalink

Mike, great idea! Love where this is headed (so to speak). Can you poke a small hole through to allow any air to escape (to prevent it from going boom?

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2013-07-14 03:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-13 15:44, MadDogMike wrote:

Because of the potential leverage involved, it will require some "mud engineering" and some serious reinforcement. ...the risk of trapping air between the slabs then it goes *BOOM* in the kiln

MDM - Please remember, when working in a potentially dangerous mud-based environment, always consult with your local Society of MUDMEN Professionals, Asaro Clay Chapter, PNG.

Safety First!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-14 08:32 am   Permalink

Jones - That video was very interesting and nicely done. Tasteful (no pun intended ), culturally sensitive, not sensationalized, informative ~ well worth the 45 minutes. I have also been looking for pictures/footage of the facial features of PNG tribesmen, this will do nicely. I used to belong to the Society of MUDMEN Professionals but they want payment in live chickens and shipping was killing me!

Quote:

On 2013-07-13 17:46, poptiki wrote:
Right on Mad Dog! I like the way you think.

Pop, that's because I stole most of my inspiration from YOU
(the least I can do is give you some free advertising)

TikiAno - The 2 slabs are pretty big, about the size of the palm of your hand. A single hole wouldn't stand much chance of randomly hitting a hidden air bubble and lots of holes would weaken it. I put lots of very liquid slip between the slabs and pressed out the bubbles, working from the center. It should be OK.

More work in progress:
Cowrie shells for eyes

The keyway makes sure the lid goes on the right way and doesn't move around, but it doesn't look very organic

So I am covering it with a fruit bat skull

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 12:58 pm   Permalink

MadDog- looking freezing sweet dude....
TravJones- u 1 funny mo fo

Getting close to the end

Ill finish mine in next few days

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2013-07-14 2:31 pm   Permalink

Carving deeper and DEEPER...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-14 2:52 pm   Permalink

Thank you Jon.
Jones, thin enuf to let the light thru! Very nice. It would make a cool night light!

My trophy skull won't stand on it's own so it is going to need a base. This slice of eucalyptus may be too big though. Working on ideas to add a splash of color - maybe a big blue polymer clay rhinoceros beetle on the base?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-07-14 14:54 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-14 3:21 pm   Permalink

Lookin' Guud Mikey.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-14 4:35 pm   Permalink

He's gonna need some legs.

There are rhinoceros beetles in Papua New Guinea, unfortunately they are an imported species and are killing the coconut palms

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 4:53 pm   Permalink

Mudmen from the future?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 6:50 pm   Permalink

Such inspired work showing up, I'm impressed!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 8:29 pm   Permalink

TravJones- man that's looking good
MadDog- sweet fix, me like
ATP- always thinking

GROG- still not to late to jump in
I know, I know, "Not Gonna Happen"

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-14 20:32 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 9:56 pm   Permalink

Dexter just got his first CANNIBAL...

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 3:14 pm   Permalink

Love, love, LOVE the art that everyone is producing! I'm amazed at everyone's creativity!

Now, back to work for me...
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-15 7:52 pm   Permalink

I wasn't happy with my Rhinoceros Beetle ~ the shape was alright but I didn't like the color and the texturing I did on the face was all wrong. So back to Michaels for TWO packs of polymer clay this time, black for the head and pearl green for the body. My gut told me to "go big or go home". And since I have been accused of thinking with my various "organs" rather than my brain, I decided to go for it. The resulting beast is 3 1/2 inches long.

I keep a can of Raid nearby in case he gets unruly or tries to escape!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-15 8:35 pm   Permalink

You guys rock. Those creations are over the top. When we are back home I'll get to work. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation