FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 10:14 pm   Permalink

Mike- that looks awesome
Wendy- welcome home

Been staining and putting the "shine" on mine
Pics soon

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 10:31 pm   Permalink

Mike, looking great. Didn't know you were a "Beetles" fan....

Jones, great shot- and great lighting. Everyone's work is looking fantastic, going to be a good Swap.

Update: glazed up the Skull and Cutlery Wall Tile- working on glazing the Anthropologist Kettle later this week- fingers crossed the glaze repair will fix things right up (or together).

I vote for an Oasis in-person Swap, if that's possible. I understand that a good number of folks will not be coming out, but would be a good reason for a mini-TC meet up for those in town...? Mike, thoughts?

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-16 3:17 pm   Permalink

TikiAno, I don't think it would work out to have 2 Swaps with separate drawings for the Oasis attenders and the Oasis non-attenders. But I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a Art Swappers Git-Together and Hoedown at HulaBilly Oasis! I count 14 projects that have been started at this point and it looks like at least 6 of those people will be at Oasis (TikiAno, Cy, Wendy, ZeroTiki, Hang10Tiki, and myself)

The surprise exchange worked well for the last winter Swap. But if no one objects, I'd like to go back to a paired exchange for this summer Swap just to increase the odds that someone will be able to Swap at Oasis

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 3:45 pm   Permalink

Mad dog- paired exchange sounds good to me. That way if two people happen to be going to Oasis, easy hand delivery.

Done with mine.
2 more coats of 2 different stains and 3 coats of gloss.

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 9:51 pm   Permalink

Mike, sounds good- dig the "git together" idea. I'll be around for TO weekend- except for ducking out for work here and there. In any case, this Swap is looking great.

Jon, killer carve and, yes, it looks sweeeeet.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-17 05:54 am   Permalink

Jon that is some sweet mesquite! Love that you were able to carve thru the sapwood to expose the heartwood. Nicely done cannibal.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 07:30 am   Permalink

Ok, the party is over and it's time for me to get to work! I don't have access to clay and a kiln so I need to venture out of my comfort zone and create some art in another medium. Yikes.

I started some sketches this morning and they look like they were done by a 5 year old. I'm embarrassed to show them! I've been envisioning a 3 part-er cannibal with his "mini-me" in his hand, going into his mouth and then in his bigger belly. I have some nice looking wood so I may try my hand at some kind of carving or if that's a bust, 3 small paintings.

I'm going to do my best to not humiliate myself in the presence of you fantastic tiki artists on TC!

But I wanted everyone to know I hadn't given up on the swap. Yet.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-17 07:58 am   Permalink

You can do it Lori!!!!!

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 11:30 am   Permalink

Mike, You're the world's best cheerleader! Thanks, as always, for your support!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-17 6:24 pm   Permalink

This is about as exciting as watching ice melt. I want it to hurry up and dry so I can start firing and glazing. But if I let it dry too fast it will crack
Patience young grasshopper, er ... middle-aged grasshopper

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 6:42 pm   Permalink

Mike from that angle it looks like you made a bong from the Temple of Doom. You got some special herbs to go with that?

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 7:25 pm   Permalink

Ano- thanks
Mad Dog- thanks
Lori- go girl go...
Mad Dog- I like it, a lot

This swap kicks ars...

Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-17 19:28 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 4:41 pm   Permalink

Jon, no pressure there w/that graphic. Lori, go go go!

Tigertail, now that you mention it....

Update: so, if you may or may not remember, the original Cannibal tile cracked. I tried to use supercharged vinegar slip to re-attach it, but it didn't quite work. I decided to progress w/ the project (w/o posting photos along the way). I glazed both pieces, fired them, then used twine to tie it together- I felt it make it look "modern primitive"- perhaps something found at a nice cannibal casual restaurant? (I had drilled out holes before bisque firing it).

I used a metallic glaze for the knife and fork, and white for the skull. I left the black clay unglazed. Instead of twine I used a red line to tie everything together. It was still missing something, so I added acrylic paint for a bloody finish on the knife. A little more gore than I had initially planned, but am happy w/ the final look.

Wide shot: I used a bit more of the red line as two hangars- tried to use the red to tie the piece together:

Close-up:

Extreme close-up:

Hopefully this is still within the realm of good (TC) taste. The Cannibal Kettle Bowl should be getting fired as I write this. I'll post photos of that one, including the glaze mishap that happened, as one post when I have the final version (w/ the hand hopefully reattached).

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's pieces! It's not too late to join in.... and I'm not just talking about Grog.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2013-07-18 16:43 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 6:34 pm   Permalink

Nice save TikiAno, just like you planned it that way. Yes, I'm feeling the pressure too I like that black clay! Maybe you already said but what is it called?

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 9:50 pm   Permalink

TikiAno- dude that looks cool
Grog- see, the peps of TC are still calling out to you, make something, we know you could draw a killer pic in like 3 minutes...I hear drawing helps the heart recover...

Jon

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation