FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-28 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 17:01, hang10tiki wrote:

I'm making a second cannibal tiki to give away to one of the cannibals attending Oasis....

VERY COOL!!!!!

Jon, ZeroTiki usually attends Oasis, we'll see if he replies.
TikiAno, the regular Amaco Velvet underglazes come in pint bottles but most of the Designer Velvet underglazes only come in 2 ounces.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-07-28 21:00 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 05:40 am   Permalink

Got mine pretty much done... but I am not sure if I should just leave it as is for an art piece, or make it utilitarian by turning it into something like a caddy to hold stuff. Let me know what you guys think?

Meanwhile here are a few pics of it now...

I ended up doing a sort of scrimshaw effect where I carved decently deep lines then rubbed watered down paint into the grooves. I like the effect. Too bad it doesn't have a waterproof inside it would make a nice beverage cup. It may be too tall for a caddy even after I cut the ends off a bit to make them even unless someone has mighty big paint brushes or something. I dunno... thoughts? Ideas? Anyone?

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 07:31 am   Permalink

Mike
Tiger- I like it as is! Way cool.

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:09 am   Permalink

Creepy cool Tigertail, the trophy skull is great Mike and Lori looking forward to seeing your happy cannibals complete.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:59 am   Permalink

Sweet Tiger! I say leave it too.

For some reason the spots didn't show up on my glaze. This type of spotted glaze usually has crystals in it that settle to the bottom, I stirred and shook it well but didn't see any crystals. I don't know if I did something wrong or if they forgot to put crystals in this batch? Still a cool color that should look interesting with the Moss Green Opalescent over it. Maybe I will mask off everything but the skull and do some spots using the trusty old toothbrush method. The skull color and the bamboo pole color are very close now but I have a plan for that too

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 10:53 am   Permalink

Mike- Daaaaaaaaaang, that came out sweeeeeeet

Here's the start of the "Oasis Cannibal Crew Extra Tiki"

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 12:46 pm   Permalink

Sadly, financial difficulties make Oasis impossible... But I will be there in spirit.

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 1:02 pm   Permalink

Dam Mike you are very creative!!
Your mugs are always so one of a kind.
Great job.
Love yer work.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP "Go to the light"¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 2:58 pm   Permalink

Tiger, looks great as is- carving and painting came out perfectly!

Mike, that is looking awesome now- but there's MORE happening to it? Wow.

If everyone's making extra cannibal pieces to exchange as Oasis... uh oh. Have to hurry up- or, since I have two pieces already, will one of those work?

One of employees just surprised me w/ news that she was going to be out of town that weekend, when I told her it was Tiki Oasis she got slightly nervous and may rethink her plans... ha! I'll still be there, probably a bit less if that happens....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:23 pm   Permalink

I don't even know where to start.
Everyone's work is so amazing!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:35 pm   Permalink

Tigertail, I like it as is.

Mike, can't wait to see finished. Weird about the missing crystals.

Thanks Cy, I need to carve more deeply. Since I now have until the 10th instead of the 1st as I had in my head I'll have plenty of time. As usual, I'm learning a lot with this project like - 1) a dremel is harder to control than one might think and 2) I should have watered down my black paint or used stain instead of paint in the carved areas. My husband thinks it looks drawn on instead of carved. I agree. I'll try to rectify that.

Thanks for looking,

Lori

Edited to lodge my protest again jon that I am ineligible for the potential bonus carving!!!

[ This Message was edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-07-29 17:36 ]

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:35 pm   Permalink

Ano- sorry for the confusion
You don't have to give anything away
I thought I'd make a 2nd piece to give to someone at Oasis
Not a swap
Just a lil cannibal gift
Looks like 4 of u going so far
In a few days we can pull a name out of a mug
And that person gets it

Jon

Update

Lori- we were posting at the same time
Looking good.....
Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-07-29 17:38 ]

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-30 02:09 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the input! I will leave it as is. It does have a crack lengthwise in the back but it doesn't go all the way through to the interior thank goodness. I guess it just adds to the primitive "charm".

And Lori... Amen to the fact that dremel tools are a lot harder to manage than they seem. I found that out as well. Can't tell you how many times my hand went numb working on mine. I will have to invest in that flexible shaft that someone mentioned on here. Looks like you got more control over your line carving than I did though, mine look like they are scribbled by a three year old.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-30 08:12 am   Permalink

July is almost over. I am so happy that my piece is finished and can be added to this really cool page of wonderful art. I'm boxing mine today so that it can be mailed on the 10th or taken to Oasis.

hang10tiki I'm so happy to have my name go into the hat for your tiki carving, my fingers are crossed.

My poor hula woman boiling in the pot. I wish I had some dry ice.

I'll have more photos on my "other crafts" thread. The bending part of the straw has to go in first.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-30 08:18 am   Permalink

Tiger, I think your piece looks great. I went with the "primitive-as-design-aesthetic" argument myself.

Wendy, wow! Looks perfect! Hopefully.... I can see it in person at Oasis! (Since Jon usually receives all Art Swap items, perhaps he'll let me have a look). Ha.

Clock is clicking away.... look forward to seeing everyone else's last second additions.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation