FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served
TravelingJones

Posted: 2013-08-10 9:49 pm   Permalink

presenting...

KHAKHUA FETISH
[A sor­cer­er dis­guised as a male hu­man. The kha­khua ass­as­si­n­ates peo­ple by ea­t­ing out their guts, re­pla­c­ing them with ash, as vic­tims sleep.]

SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE, SEP 2006
For days I've been slogging through a rain-soaked jungle in Indonesian New Guinea, on a quest to visit members of the Korowai tribe, among the last people on earth to practice cannibalism.

And about cannibalism: A local guide with "dark eyes" explains:

It's because of the khakhua, which comes disguised as a relative or friend of a person he wants to kill. "The khakhua eats the victim's insides while he sleeps," Boas explains, "replacing them with fireplace ash so the victim does not know he's being eaten. The khakhua finally kills the person by shooting a magical arrow into his heart." When a clan member dies, his or her male relatives and friends seize and kill the khakhua. "Usually, the [dying] victim whispers to his relatives the name of the man he knows is the khakhua," Boas says. "He may be from the same or another treehouse."

I ask Boas whether the Korowai eat people for any other reason or eat the bodies of enemies they've killed in battle. "Of course not," he replies, giving me a funny look. "We don't eat humans, we only eat khakhua."

The killing and eating of khakhua has reportedly declined among tribespeople in and near the settlements. Rupert Stasch, an anthropologist at Reed College in Portland, Oregon, who has lived among the Korowai for 16 months and studied their culture, writes in the journal Oceania that Korowai say they have "given up" killing witches partly because they were growing ambivalent about the practice and partly in reaction to several incidents with police.

(...)

Still, the eating of khakhua persists, according to my guide, Kembaren. "Many khakhua are murdered and eaten each year," he says, citing information he says he has gained from talking to Korowai who still live in treehouses.

The travel writer even meets "true cannibals":

Two men approach through the gloom, one in shorts, the other naked save for a necklace of prized pigs' teeth and a leaf wrapped about the tip of his penis. "That's Kilikili," Kembaren whispers, "the most notorious khakhua killer." Kilikili carries a bow and barbed arrows. His eyes are empty of expression, his lips are drawn in a grimace and he walks as soundlessly as a shadow.

The other man, who turns out to be Kilikili's brother Bailom, pulls a human skull from a bag. A jagged hole mars the forehead. "It's Bunop, the most recent khakhua he killed," Kembaren says of the skull.

...strange but true. Boogedy-boogedy BOO!

[ This Message was edited by: TravelingJones 2013-08-11 06:18 ]

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 9:55 pm   Permalink

Wowwee wow wow wow! Its all so gooooooood....

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 10:08 pm   Permalink

TJ-
A+ brother.....

1:52 to go......
Mike- u awake?

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 10:14 pm   Permalink

Seeing as how Oasis is just around the corner, I decided to style mine after the cannibal carvings in the courtyard of the hotel (only with my own coloration):

IN UNDER THE DEADLINE!!!

Woot!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 10:28 pm   Permalink

Wow! Great job everyone! Here's the cannibal Moai! Kind of reminds me of Pac-Man with the bite size nugget Moai.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-10 11:08 pm   Permalink

Got some great last minute additions! Here's the line-up, drawing in an hour

AlohaStation

AnthonyMaye

bbMoondog

Cy - "Cannibalooza"

DanLovesTikis

Hang10Tiki

Little Lost Tiki - "Closer to the Bone"

LoriLovesTiki - "The Happy Cannibal"

MadDogMike - "Ndaokus"

Pikey's Dog

Polynesiac

TigerTail777

TikiAno - "Anthropologist Stew/What's for Dinner?"

TikiPops

TikiRootsRocka

TravelingJones - "Khakua Fethish"

Tu - "Fiji Fish Fry"

WaikikianMoeKele - "The Cannibal Hut"

ZeroTiki

Since we have an odd number, participants will be paired as they are drawn. Last 3 drawn will exchange in a circular fashion: A sends to B, B sends to C, and C sends to A

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 11:39 pm   Permalink

Mike, sounds great. Thanks for posting all of the photos- as well as for organizing yet another great Swap!

David/ Tiki Ano

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 12:38 am   Permalink

Miiiiiiiike...we're waiting.... my cannibal is waiting to eat.. erm, meet... his new friends!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-11 12:50 am   Permalink

OK Zero, here ya go!

In order of drawing, partners will be:

Little Lost Tiki & MadDogMike
LoriLovesTiki & TikiRootsRocka
TigerTail777 & Tu
Polynesiac & DanLovesTikis
bbMoondog & Aloha Station
TikiPops & Hang10Tiki
Kele & Pikey's Dog
ZeroTiki & TikiAno
Cy will send to Traveling Jones
Traveling Jones will send to AnthonyMaye
AnthonyMay will send to Cy

Here is video of the drawing featuring the lovely Teresa!

(edited to add video link)

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-08-11 01:10 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 06:55 am   Permalink

Wow
Amazing swap everyone

Big "top knot " off to Mad Dog Mike
Thanks for a kick ars swap Mike...

Sweet, I get a TikiPops lamp for my bar
And you will be at Oasis (no shipping)...
See you then TikiPops.

Again I will have my second lil cannibal to give away at Oasis
for those of you going. We can iron out the details soon.
Ideas welcome (time and place to meet).

Jon

Ps- Mike cool video...

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-11 07:44 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2013-08-11 06:57 am   Permalink

SsweeeetT Cy! Winner, winner 'Cannibalooza'dinner!!

Cy - Mahalo'z cuz, your painting brings back memories of Zombie/Voodoo Oasis 2008...Good Times, DYN-O-MITE!!!

AnthonyMaye - I'll get KHAKHUA FETISH packed up & shipped out this week, just PM your addy. (BTW, bitch'n lamp!)

EVERYONE - Stellar work'z by all! TCAS is a blast and always too coool to see what's rollin'n around in yer noggin'z!! Tender and DELICIOUS!!!

MDM - Chokest mahalo'z for hosting yet another fab TCAS bradah! YOU da kane!! Shaka shoootz!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 08:38 am   Permalink

Yes! Another Art Swap has come to an end- I'm excited for Zero's painting! Thanks.for all for coming up with some amazing work, and huge thanks to MDM for organizing.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 09:21 am   Permalink

BRAVO! BRAVO!
another great Swap!
Soooo much great work!

Mikey,I'll see you at Oasis!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 09:43 am   Permalink

Great job MadDog, thanks so much for organizing! I've got a spot picked out in my bar for AnthonyMayes delicious lamp, can't wait to see it in person! Cool video and music also Mike.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 10:52 am   Permalink

Thanks for hosting another fantastic swap, MDM! Looking forward to my tikiano bowl! It IS beverage ready, I hope.... I am formulating my new cocktail, the screaming anthropologist, as we speak. ⊙●⊙
~Zero

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation