FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Silverlake Tiki Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Silverlake Tiki Island
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-03 12:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-03 10:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-06-03 10:01, Hale Tiki wrote:
Good luck on your projects, to be sure. I'm about to be interviewed for a piece that will be on Spiegel News. Perhaps you'll catch it while you're over there!

What is the subject of the interview? Is it gonna be in the mag, on TV, or online only?
Tell them that it is a real shame that they had to take down their original 1969 Werner Panton cafeteria when they moved headquarters 2 years ago :

http://derstandard.at/1315005488207/Museumsreif-Der-Spiegel-zieht-um-und-mit-ihm-die-legendaere-Panton-Kantine

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from lip. It's for the TV. There's some time constraints as they're shooting today, the crew showed up very late, so we'll see what happens.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 1:36 pm   Permalink

Awesome home Sven...layer upon layer of amazing. I have loved the home ever since I spied it way back in '08 in Atomic Ranch Magazine. Great abode. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 3:27 pm   Permalink

"Smokey Links"
Nuff said!!!
Good times at the chateau by Sven!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-15 11:57 am   Permalink

Sven's place can make you head spin, there are so many amazing things to see in every square foot! Here's some photos I snapped with my phone last Traveling Rumpus:

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 05:10 am   Permalink

Thank you Eric for those cool artsy "texture" photos, almost psychedelic depictions of the mood at Silverlake Island.

Here's a little history on some of the lamps around the house:

Resin flower lamps like this...

...were used in the Tropics Motel lounges and at Tiki apartment buildings:

The two floats here are from Kelbo's, and the rattan basket lamp I got from Exotical:

...this type of lamp was used in many Tiki temples:

And this ol' chunky resin lamp:

....once hung at The Tikis in Monterey Park, CA:

One more photo of some of the illustrious guests at my house:

For being interviewed for "Plastic Paradise", on my front porch are Kevin Kidney, Otto, me, and Josh Agle
(all the guys that are missing in that shot of Tiki Greats on my Witco couch on page 2 of this thread )

And for further historic goings on in my bedroom (drum roll!), here is the rinky dink set up...

...which yielded this famous tome's cover :

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-06-17 19:35 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 07:38 am   Permalink

Love the photos from Eric and the fact that you can tie your existing lamps and furnishings directly to historic photos showing the objects just blows my mind. That is the kind of history I love. It makes the items in your home more than just a collection, it has history and life.

Not everyone can look at a book cover and say "Hey, that was taken in my bedroom." Fun!

Thanks for sharing photos of your collection and home.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 08:27 am   Permalink

Some pics I took during my visit in November 2011:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 09:59 am   Permalink

Those are some great shots Big Kahuna.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 2:08 pm   Permalink

Now here's one of my favorite vintage Tiki lounge lamps, a classic 3 resin float bamboo fish trap light! It is so big and my ceiling so low, I had to hang it in a spot by the entrance door where most people miss it:

It still has its original plastic vine and a decrepit Toucan on the edge. I found it in a Pasadena store in the 90s.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 2:51 pm   Permalink

You're right, Sven. I definitely missed that one. What a killer lamp!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 7:36 pm   Permalink

Well, ya just gotta drop by again!

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 9:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-16 14:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Now here's one of my favorite vintage Tiki lounge lamps, a classic 3 resin float bamboo fish trap light! It is so big and my ceiling so low, I had to hang it in a spot by the entrance door where most people miss it:

It still has its original plastic vine and a decrepit Toucan on the edge. I found it in a Pasadena store in the 90s.

Wow Sven!!! That Fish trap lamp is cool.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 06:01 am   Permalink

There's just so much cool stuff to look at. I could spend days there, just looking.

Thanks for more photos. I loved seeing the behind the scenes stuff for Remixed. Did you do the sculpts for the tiki tourists? Or are they just clever hodgepodges?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 11:32 am   Permalink

Bosko, as an old friend of Jeff's and an artist who has done many diorama pieces, fabricated all the sculpts and environments for Beachbum Berry's book covers. The miniature Beachbum Berry mug he did for Taboo Table of his own mug design is one my faves. I just light and photograph them, I did that for three of the four covers.

Addendum: The fantastic Labor-of-love intensive dioramas INSIDE Jeff's "Remixed", I have to add, are sculpted, assembled and lit by another true lover of Tiki, the talented Cass of Oceatica!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-06-17 20:17 ]

tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 12:54 pm   Permalink

Epic! love the vibe and story telling

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation