FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which uke for beginners?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Which uke for beginners?
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 9:55 pm   Permalink

On my honeymoon in Hawaii a few years back I dropped some big coin on a beautiful pineapple Kamaka.

I was looking for something a little less precious to drag around in the car (I play on the way to work) and after doing a bunch of research, picked up a Flea model uke made by the Magic Fluke Company. These are available from
www.fleamarketmusic.com, but I bought mine from [url=http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=fluke&x=15&y=7Elderly Instruments[/url] since they had them for about $24 cheaper, with bag.

The Flea sounded surprisingly good considering its small size and plastic fretboard. The tuners can be tightened, so when you get the instrument in tune you tighten up the tuners -- lo and behold your uke doesn't go out of tune while you're playing it. It wasn't quite as loud or resonant as my Kamaka, but for a $400 difference in price, who cares? As a starter instrument, you can't go wrong with it.

For a little bit more, you can go with the larger Fluke model. I eBay-ed the Flea recently and upgraded to a special concert-sized Fluke with a 16-fret, rosewood fingerboard and a Fishman pickup so I can inflict aural damage on bigger crowds in the future -- the larger size projects more volume and the instrument is especially resonant: strings played near the top often sound as if they are being 'doubled' or run through a chorus pedal.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-13 02:03 am   Permalink

anyone knows beside flea market where can I get the King Kukulele's album ??
I've never seen it here, and it's not on Amazon.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Kukulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-13 03:19 am   Permalink

Oh Virani you're making me feel bad. I think I should have done a better job of making it available...all you need to do is follow these instructions: Send $15 US and 1 round trip ticket to Paris to me and I will hand deliver the CD and perform it live in your living room...I'll even perform it in your salle de bain. Petetre dans mon deuxieme CD j'ecrite une chanson en Francais pour vous? J'aime beaucoups Paris!! (pardon, ma Francais est pauvre mais c'est la vie)
I will be happy to mail you our CD if you send me 10euro or $15 US or 75 French francs to:
King Kukulele
c/o Denny Moynahan
1415 1/2 Lemoyne St.
Los Angeles, CA. 90026
USA

I hope someday soon I can hear you strumming your new Tahitian ukulele.
ALOHA!

View Profile of King Kukulele Send a personal message to King Kukulele  Email King Kukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-13 03:24 am   Permalink

aren't there a way to send it through paypal, well, if not, I can still find some francs in my grandmother mattress and send it to you, even if I don't know what you would do with it...

Your french is really good, and I'd love to hear you live. Come to Paris, even if I can't pay you the plane, I can find you a bed, and I can let you play my uke
Hey, and I saw you in a surf magasine about hawaii yesterday !!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Kukulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-13 03:36 am   Permalink

Hey Virani,
I am sorry but I don't have the paypal set up yet, I don't want you to ruin your Grandmas mattress (you might put a lump in it) but if you sent me some of her francs it would remind me of one of my favorite places on Earth. Paris and France are wonderful, save me place to sleep and I will be there soon. We are taking good care of our French friends Vincent and Katell and they are getting a nice suntan before returning to Nevers. Sorry about the paypal.
King

View Profile of King Kukulele Send a personal message to King Kukulele  Email King Kukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-13 03:45 am   Permalink

Allright, no problem... take good care of Vincent & Katell and remind them to bring me some tikis.

I'll send the euros for you if you don't mind, and you could use those on your next visit.
Thanks a lot, king.

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-14 2:34 pm   Permalink

This CD is a blast, and I've only listened to it while sober. Wait 'til the rum starts flowing...

I drove one of my teenage daughters nuts this morning playing it on the way to school. The other daughter joined me in singing the "Luau" chorus.

Here's the direct link to buy the CD with regular credit cards:
http://www.flea-mkt-music.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=163

Tiki Farm just had a great splash page on KK, but it just got replaced with the Ape splash. Haven't seen the KK page moved to the Tiki Theatre section yet.

All Hail the King!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation