FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fancy-ass juicer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Fancy-ass juicer
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-04 04:48 am   Permalink

That's a sweet cartoon site! I've been following it for a while. Not much tiki there though...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 09:06 am   Permalink

That's a beauty, tikiskip. I have a modern one that pales in comparison. And the hand juicers are nice if you have to make one, maybe two drinks. Beyond that, however, this is my go to:

http://goo.gl/a6WaI

This one, however, is what I REALLY want.

http://goo.gl/9KXFg

Make a batch of 10-20 painkillers and juice by hand, and you'll understand how important a motorized one is.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-04 09:06, Hale Tiki wrote:
That's a beauty, tikiskip. I have a modern one that pales in comparison. And the hand juicers are nice if you have to make one, maybe two drinks. Beyond that, however, this is my go to:

http://goo.gl/a6WaI

This one, however, is what I REALLY want.

http://goo.gl/9KXFg

Make a batch of 10-20 painkillers and juice by hand, and you'll understand how important a motorized one is.

For limes maybe, but for oranges, unless you actually want a pulp filled drink, no.

We were gifted an electric juicer. Used it once and went back to manual.

I use m y fancy aluminum crank juicer with smaller navel oranges and it works great.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 10:04 am   Permalink

Here is what I recommend for the big jobs. I got one similar at a thrift store for $10 and it has made life easier. Best for limes, but smaller navel oranges will work too.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 10:33 am   Permalink

Also, be sure if you do get an electric or other juicer it has the larger top or an attachment to make the top bigger to accommodate large oranges and grapefruit. If it just lime sized, it will make you crazy working with bigger fruit.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-04 10:04, Swanky wrote:
Here is what I recommend for the big jobs. I got one similar at a thrift store for $10 and it has made life easier. Best for limes, but smaller navel oranges will work too.

Link is borked. Try again?

Edit: Apparently Amazon sneezed and that made the link bork. Everything is full snozz now.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-06-04 20:54 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 1:27 pm   Permalink

Works for me (the link). And I don't have a problem with pulp with that particular juicer. Just set it to the no pulp setting. You juice it without the lid, then use the lid to really get the last of the juice from the pulp.

Maybe I'll have to make a video. I'm telling you, I swear by this over my hand press. Though the hand press is nice, and less annoying while entertaining.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-04 13:27 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-04 10:04, Swanky wrote:

This used to be my go-to, until I lost the seed trap, rendering it useless. If only I could find a replacement... Since then however, I've switched to a CitriStar, and can't imagine anything beating a good electric reamer

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 11:42 am   Permalink

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2013-06-06 14:29 ]

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 07:45 am   Permalink

I let that one go - it was just too easy to make some sort of follow-up remark!

I pity the future TC'er or Googler who runs into this thread for serious research purposes.

"Tiki Central... Let's not go there; it is a silly place."

Ha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 1:10 pm   Permalink

Please, by all means, fire away! Reamer? Why I hardly know her!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 8:57 pm   Permalink

dag, Ace, you chagrined Longboard into editing.

me, i'm pretty sure a bunch of mid-century tiki dudes would guffaw over this thread as well...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-08 3:49 pm   Permalink

Just ran into the aforementioned "fancy-ass" juicer being sold at the Publix supermarket about a mile south of the Mai-Kai on US Federal Highway 1. Cost was $18.99 and they had it in several colors. I remember both yellow and white.

I think the white one is for cauliflower. I seem to remember hearing that the green one works well with broccoli.

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-09 06:40 am   Permalink

I have both the "Fancy-Ass" juicer and another - a "Normal-Ass" juicer in stainless steel. Admittedly, the "Fancy-Ass" does extract slightly more juice, but you have to start it using two hands (Unless you're a Gorilla) and then get it to where you can use one hand as the extra ratchet mechanism forces the handles very far apart initially, but does allow extra pressure to extract slightly more juice from your lemmon or lime. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with both hand held juicers.

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-06-09 06:41 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-09 06:56 am   Permalink

Both require two hands - one to hold the tool and one to insert the lime and close the juicer. But on the fancy ratcheted tool you continue closing and begin squeezing the fruit all in the same motion. I also find it very helpful that the ratcheted tool has slightly larger handles than the other less-expensive versions. I agree that for squeezing small amounts of limes both tools work just fine, although I don't use the smaller versions at all anymore.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation