[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fancy-ass juicer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Fancy-ass juicer
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 11:08 am   Permalink

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough . . . with the "Fancy Ass" after inserting the lime half with one hand while holding the "Fancy Ass" with the other. . . it takes both hands to begin to squeeze the handles because they are too far apart for one hand. . . once you get it started using both hands, you can continue the action with one hand.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:57 am   Permalink

Does anyone have experience with this fancy-ass juicer? Its a KitchenAid attachment for their very powerful and top-end mixer.

It gets good and bad reviews on the KitchenAid site. I'm thinking of buying one and seeing how it goes for me since I'm pretty decent in the kitchen. This would be much easier to use and clean than any of my other juicers. And since my KitchenAid mixer is always on the top of my kitchen counter, it would be very handy. I'm expecting another bumper crop of limes from my tree this fall, so I'm thinking ahead. Thanks.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 1:00 pm   Permalink

Chelsea got me one of the KitchenAid attachments a few weeks ago after we ended up with a surplus of limes that we needed to squeeze and freeze. My feelings are mixed on it. It's quick and powerful, and without too much effort pulverizes every imaginable bit of juice out of the fruit but man does it leave pulp behind! The built in trap isn't all that effective because much of the juice ends up rolling down the side of your hand and into your bowl or measuring cup, missing the screen altogether, so extra straining is required. I've got a nice mesh strainer that does the trick, but it is an extra step that makes the process seem more tedious than it needs to be. Maybe my technique just needs improvement but I managed to squeeze 90 ounces of lime in not that much time compared to a hand juicer or one I have exactly like this that I was using anytime I was making more than a few drinks at time:

Also, I've only done limes with the KitchenAid and not larger citrus so I don't know if lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc would be better or worse.

It is very easy to clean up.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2016-07-25 13:01 ]

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 1:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike, you've echoed some of what I read online, especially about the pulp. Didn't see any reports about juice running down anyone's hand, but it makes sense that would happen. So, if I bought this, I'm thinking I would remove the built-in pulp strainer (I saw that for sale separately as a replacement part, so thinking that it pops out) and then put a sieve on top of my container and let the sieve do the straining. Or I would just make a ton of juice, and strain it separately later. I may go ahead and give it a try. What the hell - another experiment for my bar, right?

Thanks for answering. I'd love to hear from others on this as well. Then I'll post my results here too. I have a desire to try it and then also figure out how to overcome some of the problems.

Dang, those KitchenAid mixers rock! Got a refurbished "Pro 600" model on Overstock.com for about half the price of a new one, which, depending on which color you choose, is still way less than the price of a new basic home model. It looks and acts new, no scratches or dents or dings, just an all-around good deal. Can't beat that!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:24 pm   Permalink

Yes, the pulp strainer is detachable. I ended up rigging mine where the sieve was sitting atop my measuring cup so the KitchenAid strainer would catch some of the pulp and my strainer would get the runoff. Still, I think every 16 ounces or so I'd have to rinse off the sieve so the juice could seep through easier. Like I said, I can't give a full endorsement but if you do get it, I'd be curious to see how it works for you.

We just recently got a Sam's Club membership and they had the bigger, pseudo-industrial mixers for like $250 which is an amazing price. Not sure if they're the Pro 600 model, but they're bigger than our standard one which is $300 most anywhere. This one has the mechanism where you can raise and lower the bowl. And they had some nice colors. We were tempted to upgrade.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 8:49 pm   Permalink

I bought this, the Don Beach (which is to say the very best) of Citrus Juicers a couple months ago. I've always wanted this model, but at $200 it was just too expensive. I was shopping in a local Cincinnati area liquidation chain (Tuesday Morning) in May and found it on clearance for *$35.00*. I should've bought two of them. It's hands down the finest juicer that I've ever owned, effortlessly gets every last drop of juice out of the fruit.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-800CPXL-Stainless-Steel-Motorized-Citrus/dp/B00B5G92IO

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation