FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is the quintessential tiki movie?
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 8:23 pm   Permalink

So what is the quintessential tiki movie? What makes it tiki movie?

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 8:53 pm   Permalink

Before John-O names off a bunch of 1940's crap we'll never get around to watching, I cast my vote for:

Bikini A Go Go!

Plot is basically a guy who owns a bikini shop finds a magic tiki pendant in a shipment of bikinis

Coolest part is they use a HIP Originals God of Wisdom as the magic tiki

The guy leaves the bikini shop with the tiki to meet his fiance. He plans to give it to her as a gift, not yet knowing its magical powers. Back at the shop, his two female employees disrobe and engage in a romantic interlude for several minutes. At dinner, he gives the tiki to his lady:

Suddenly, the tikis magic powers kick in

The tikis effects are soon evident, as his once fridgid wife seems to loose all inhibitions:

Then a bunch of other stuff happens with some secret agents and spies and the woman ends up with the Bikini store girls:

Still under the tiki's influence, they have hot tub relations:

I don't really remember what happens after that scene, but I'm sure all the plot lines are resolved satisfactorily in the end.

I never get tired of this movie! Best thing: NO exotica!
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-05 9:08 pm   Permalink

What about the " House of Buzz??"

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-06 10:10 pm   Permalink

Wild pictures. That is my friend Stacy Burke in the first picture with the movie title, and again in the girl 3-way (the blond on the right). I'll have to ask her about this movie sometime!
Unfortunately I don't think there is a SINGLE movie out there I would consider the definitive "Tiki" movie. If anything comes close, it would be the promotional film made in 1963 for Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. I don't know where or if it was show, but I know part of it was shown in the 1965 special celebrating Disneyland's 10th anniversary. I have reason to believe that the film was much longer as I've seen so many Disneyland attraction promo films get re-used (and re-edited) for Disneyland TV specials. I've seen examples of these rare, longer films, but not the Tiki Room one unfortunately.

Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 12:25 am   Permalink

I have always maintaind that the one film that best captures the spirit of Tiki (though ethnographically not 100% Tiki) is "I am Cuba":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-IGICoMOso
(beginning at 00:55, but don't skip the opening camera move - a classic)

...and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPTu7gAYxo

Here I mention the connection to Trader Vic's:
Havana Before Castro

It stands as a great irony of 20th Century pop culture that the film that best portrays the look and atmosphere of the late 50s/early 60s Tiki lounge is a movie that was directed and shot by RUSSIANS in CUBA as an ANTI-CAPITALIST propaganda film condemning the colonial chauvinism of American tourists

The thing is, one can tell how much FUN the Russian artists had shooting these scenes. The result was that in Communist Cuba and Russia the film was a flop: The Cuban critics deemed it too cliche, the Russians too seductive. Decades later, after the miss-understood Russian director and cameraman had passed away, Francis Ford Coppola re-discovered it as a cinematic gem. When I first came upon the nightclub scenes, I thought I was seeing an artfully styled contemporary music video, not something shot in 1964 !

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-06-08 14:53 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 04:50 am   Permalink

That was interesting . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 05:56 am   Permalink

"Interessante? No es interessante, Senor..." AMAZING! FASCINATING! ...just like the city of Havana, used as a playground for so many different political and cultural currents of the 20th Century:

Spanish colonialism, descendants of African slaves, American capitalism with cocktail culture and midcentury modernism, Russian communism - all in a nutshell, a mini history of the last century!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-08 06:44 am   Permalink

Si, los dos peliculas son muy interesantes!

I know this is a bit off topic for movie critique but I like the way they used the hanging giant bamboo as room dividers in I Am Cuba. Looks like the movie failed miserably at showing how unattractive capitalism was Seems that the race lines were more blurred in 1964 Havana than in 1964 US
Buzzy, can you make a Mystic Tiki of Weyamoa with special powers? That might come in handy

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2013-06-08 07:22 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 07:26 am   Permalink

I like "Tiara Tahiti" with James Mason. It's now on YouTube in segments. (don't mind the German subtitles at the beginning, they go away)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZH-jMN19Cg

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-08 07:37 am   Permalink

How about Mutiny on the Bounty (Marlon Brando version)

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 07:44 am   Permalink

One of my favorites is the 1951 version of "Bird of Paradise" in technicolor. Starring Lois Jourdan and Debra Paget.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 04:37 am   Permalink

Here is my take take on this matter: Folks tend to forget (or have never been aware of) that until the mid- to late 50s, the Tiki was not used much in Polynesian pop as image or name. As the memory of my publications is fading into the background, all kinds of things Hawaiian, bamboo, cocktail or South Seas are being called "Tiki" now. But why would one call a film that was always called a "South Seas movie" a "Tiki movie" now? These are related but different cultural genres to me.

What defines Tiki style and makes it unique is the fact that, yes, it was informed by all that Polynesian pop which came in the decades before it, but it was a new urban American phenomenon, defined by the juxtaposition of modernism and primitivism, by the two antipodes co-exisiting together. AND it was a cultural current unrecognized by the media, that is why there is practically NO film footage that adequately portrays "Tiki style" out there, and no clear "Tiki Movie".

Around the time Tiki became popular in the late 50s, and definitely by the early 60s, TV was becoming the new medium, while Hollywood movies were repeating themselves. That's why there is "Tiki TV", with series like "Hawaiian Eye" and "Adventures in Paradise", using Tikis as major props ( though with many of the plots repeating time-worn South Seas cliches )

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-06-09 04:39 ]

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 2:56 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-06-05 20:53, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Before John-O names off a bunch of 1940's crap we'll never get around to watching, I cast my vote for:

Bikini A Go Go!

Looks like it's been also released under the title
Curse of the Erotic Tiki

"Curse of the Erotic Tiki"
When the Mystic Tiki of Weyamea turns up at the little shop known as The Bikini a Go-Go, all sorts of mayhem break loose! It seems whoever wears the necklace loses all of their sexual inhabitions and literally can't control themselves!
The sexy comedy builds rapidly as an Evil Villain-ess unleashes her Robot henchmen to bring back the Tiki at any cost!

Starring:
Beverly Lynne (pictured)
Stacy Burke (pictured)
Nikki Fritz (pictured)
Cailey Taylor (pictured)
Jay Richardson
Eric Warren
John Swipe

It's nice to know tiki "borrowing" isn't limited to mugs

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 3:25 pm   Permalink

To be serious for a moment (why are you rolling your eyes?) I agree with Sven
we are really loosing focus on what is "Tiki" vs disparate yet associated influences
I know of no movie I would call a "Tiki Movie" & I watch a lot of movies

But the ones that do capture the essence of classic Tiki are:
The Apartment: all the scenes in the Tiki Bar/Chinese restaurant just capture the atmosphere so well.

Hell's Half Acre: it is a Noir where most of the action goes down in a classic Tiki bar filmed on location in Don The Beachcomber in Waikiki.

The Blue Gardenia: More Noir from Fritz Lang and a nice turn from Raymond Burr and to many "Polynesian Pearl Divers"

Where Danger Lives: Like John-O likes to say "Robert Mitchum is Tiki"

Bachelor in Paradise: Bob Hope in a Mid-Century modern comedy with a great scene in a Tiki bar

Add to the list Donovan's Reef & Blue Hawaii just for fun ,this is just off the top of my head......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-09 4:30 pm   Permalink

OK here's my 2 cents worth. What could be more 'tiki' than the scenes in Kim Novac's exotica boutique in Bell Book and Candle?

And I know it's old hat but the whole of the footage in South Pacific where Billis takes Lt. Joe Cable (of Cable, Cable & Cable) to the bore's tooth ceremonial is quintessential polynesia pop. That little hut in the hills where Liat is presumably deflowered by Joe Cable could be your perfect tiki bar and in fact many years later I tried to recreate the pivoting doors of that hut in my own tiki space - in this photo.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation