FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is the quintessential tiki movie?
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 05:22 am   Permalink

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the up coming film: "Teen Beach Movie."

http://video.disney.com/watch/disneychannel-teen-beach-movie-trailer-4d7379dbbe767855af5a37f6

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 10:54 am   Permalink

I just revoked your "Teen Disney Card" MaukaHale!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 11:57 am   Permalink

the fuck was that?

did anyone else have the desire to punch that kid in the face?
no?
just me?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 12:29 pm   Permalink

That is a desire I must resist everyday
or I shall end up like Mr."My brain hurts!" Gumby from Monty Python...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 3:36 pm   Permalink

George Pal's (Yes,
THAT George Pal) Puppetoon "Hoola Boola" (1941).

Enjoy.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 4:14 pm   Permalink

BEAR! I never saw that one before, Thanks
here is an older Puppetoon featuring "Peggy Lee"
no folks that's not a Tiki just a "Native American Totem"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFuxYj9xAU

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 02:01 am   Permalink

I'm glad you liked it, Lance.

I've been meaning to share that in the Tiki Films thread for a number of months now. It has some elements that would become elements of Tiki, stylized tiki idols and a blending of Oceanic cultures from Polynesia to PNG. Pal was Tiki before Tiki was even Tiki.

The cannibal dance sequence from "Hoola Boola" was trimmed and made another appearance in the end half of
"The Little Broadcast" (1943) as a production number on a theater stage that it couldn't possibly have fit on, similar to big budget Hollywood musicals. I'm sure it was done for the sake of economy measures, it being wartime and all.

Pal also made a previous Puppetoon with a Polynesian theme in 1938 called "South Sea Sweethearts" of which I have only seen tiny low-res screen captures or a portion of the footage that has been dubbed over in this music video.

There is also a Pal Studios made promotional ad for Peter Paul Mounds candy bars called "Sweet Pacific" that has a South Seas theme.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 06:29 am   Permalink

That's great! There's a tiki mug somewhere in that cannibal's cooking pot! Thanks for sharing!!!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 07:51 am   Permalink

Thank you Bruddah Bear! I've never seen any of that stuff and it's great!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-05 20:53, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Before John-O names off a bunch of 1940's crap we'll never get around to watching, I cast my vote for:

Bikini A Go Go!

great film bay park buzzy. best viewed with the 'hooter horn' on so you know when not to miss the action.

side note: this film was also known as curse of the erotic tiki and features the ultra-flaming hot 90s goddess nikki fritz as a dominatrix and jay richardson as the scientist who keeps popping up to tell you how the film affects your health.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 09:53 am   Permalink

Very nice sleuthing, BB ! Aaah, the wonders of U-tube!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:25 pm   Permalink

Some suggestions from the past...
TikiCentral: Best Tiki Movies

No true tiki figures in either of these but tiki fantasy element is very present
YouTube: Pagan Island trailer

YouTube: She Gods of Shark Reef

Well, tiki fantasy from a straight male point of view

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-20 15:36, Bruddah Bear wrote:

George Pal's (Yes, THAT George Pal) Puppetoon "Hoola Boola" (1941).

Enjoy.

1941 !! ?? Those whimsical inauthentic depictions of Tikis pre-date both Tiki Bob and the Enchanted Tiki Room by 15+ years.

This is a significant discovery, yes ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 3:09 pm   Permalink

Welllll....they ARE really cool, and ahead of their time. But the genre of a puppet movie kind of makes it unlikely that the primitive idols portrayed in it are rendered in any other style than cartoony.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-22 10:49 pm   Permalink

Very true, puppetoons were intentually humorous entertainment, even when tinged with political commentary as in "Tulips Shall Grow" (1943). Those "whimsical inauthentic depictions of tikis" are designed that way for comic porpoises.

The tikis in "Hoola Boola," and the way the island cultures were portrayed, mirrors what the live action film industry had beeen doing for decades. Making stuff up, be it the physical set dressing, props, costumes, language, or the portrayal of the cultures customs and behaviors. A real artifact, design, words, clothing, or real life activities may occasionally find their way into some films, but mostly these things were just used as inspiration for the phony culture being presented. As Sven has oft times pointed out, this was the foundation upon which Tiki was built.

A good contemporary to "Hoola Boola" example is "Pardon My Sarong" (1942). Fake native culture complete with stylized idols and various other items that are great examples of cross cultural tiki confusion.

Native weapons and shields, skulls upon a stone altar with what looks like a stylized depiction of a Rapa Nui birdman head perched atop a moai style body with hands on belly.

Lou Costello climbing the path up a volcano to the temple with stone face, past a column of rock with various other stone faces, some appearing Asian, others similar to moai. I feel the inspiration was such places as Ta Prohm.

Inside the temple Costello is chased by the villain's henchmen up a stone altar reminicent of a Mesoamerican pyramid, complete with carved stone faces, what look like a cross between Mayan hieroglyphs and tapa designs, a large predatory cat head (yeah I know, but Hollywood has always had wild animals that don't belong where the movie takes place, be it tigers in Africa, or penguins in the Arctic), plus more shields, weapons, and clothing that look more African than Oceanic.

A closer shot of Lou scrambbling up the side of the pyramid and a better look at the face on the side and the carved designs.

Lou eventually runs/jumps out a side doorway into thin air past another stone face that, although the features could appear Polynesian with a different headdress, etc., it leans more toward Mesoamerican in this shot (don't worry, Lou luckily lands in the dead tree protruding from the cliff face).

Mayan stone bas relief carving and Olmec heads.

Another contemporary example of borrowing from different cultures, blending things together and wholesale fabrication of native life is the wedding feast sequence in "Road to Singapore" (1940). No tiki idols, but hula is borrowed from, plus Hope and Crosby utilize gibberish when conversing with each other AND the natives.

Thankfully, unlike the makers of "Road to Singapore" and "Pardon My Sarong," Pal kept the style close enough that we can see the idols in "Hoola Boola" were inspired by Oceanic cultures. Very similar to what would eventually become the practice of Tiki artists, designers and decorators, but the tikis in "Hoola Boola" were styled as they were for comedic effect, not to fabricate an imaginary idylic paradise to escape to.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation