FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Pacific Horizons/Melanesian Art, SDMA, now thru 1/1/2015, San Diego
Pacific Horizons/Melanesian Art, SDMA, now thru 1/1/2015, San Diego
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-06 11:34 pm   Permalink

Pacific Horizons
Melanesian Art from the Valerie Franklin Collection
Now through January 01, 2015
Featuring objects from the 19th century to the middle of the 20th that are on loan to the Museum from one of the most prestigious private collections in the United States, this exhibition serves as an introduction to the art and culture of one of the Pacific’s most dynamic regions.

Covering one-third of the earth’s surface and touching the shores of five continents, the Pacific Ocean contains thousands of inhabited islands that are commonly divided into several regions based on language, cultural distinctions, and historical connections. As a cultural area, the Pacific is commonly divided into three sub-regions: Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

This ongoing exhibition explores the artistic achievements of Melanesia, where art connects people with land, nature spirits, ancestors and each other to create strong and vibrant communities. In this region, each time art is created and displayed social relations and cultural understandings are refined and strengthened. Pacific Horizons: Melanesian Art from the Valerie Franklin Collection presents a startling variety of visual forms and intellectual models and allows visitors to experience some of the finest art created in Melanesia—an art that remains one of the least understood in the world.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 6:39 pm   Permalink

I would love to go to this exhibition, hopefully I can. Surprised no one else is interested.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

I didn't say I wasn't interested Definitely on my list of things to do this summer.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 7:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting. I'll definitely check it out.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 7:33 pm   Permalink

Tiki Shaker, thanks for posting. I'm not sure how I missed hearing about this exhibit (on SDMA's mailing list), but thanks for bringing it to all of our attention.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-22 12:30 pm   Permalink

I was going to go this week but the museum tells me the exhibit has been "taken down until further notice"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-22 12:30, MadDogMike wrote:
I was going to go this week but the museum tells me the exhibit has been "taken down until further notice"

Damn, is it already Jan 2015??

Did they say why, Mike?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-22 4:31 pm   Permalink

No, just that it had been replaced by a photography exhibit. The person I was talking to didn't seem to be the brightest crayon in the box so I didn't press them for details.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation