FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Gino's Storeroom of Art & Precious Cargo
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Gino's Storeroom of Art & Precious Cargo
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-15 6:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha & Hello Tiki Central!

Such a pleasure to be here with such a talented and dedicated group of people. To make a long story short, I was here a few years back, posted a couple pieces and that was about it. About a year later a switch turned on and I couldn't get enough tiki. I started properly researching the history and scene so my work would look more authentic. My wife goes nuts when she hears bird calls because I have exotica playing 97% of the time. I'm just nuts for this stuff now and wanted to come back to TC and actively be part of the the best online tiki community anywhere. So, I got a new username, new website and am back to take all the advice and great ideas TC has to offer as well as give back what I can.

Quick backstory: I work at Trader Joe's as a regional artist. I have a home store in beautiful downtown Burbank, Ca., but travel to other stores as needed. TJ's has evolved an aversion to tiki over the past few years so I've taken it upon myself to do my part in keeping it alive in my store, at least. My fervor for tiki in my personal life only helps fuel this flame.

Enough ranting now! Bear with me, I'm going to repost only a couple old pics from before in the interest of this being a complete thread of my work.

These guys are hand drawn & inked then colored in Photoshop. They're used to denote sections of the store on the shelf price labels, like this:

..and the infamous chalkboards:

Next I'll post some of the painted signs and some more digital work.
Thanks for your time, hope you dug some of the stuff. Comments/critique always welcome and if you have any questions, please ask away!

Gino

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-15 9:07 pm   Permalink

Got some good skillZ. Like the website and blog. Welcome back.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-15 9:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks GROG!

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-15 10:17 pm   Permalink

Lot's of fun wrapped up in your art...I remember when I tried to collect as many Tiki shopping bags as I could from Trader Joes...LOL. Keep up the good work!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 08:06 am   Permalink

It may be modernized, but you obviously know and respect the history.

I dig that you're able to put tiki out there. In everyday spaces, in places that people will enjoy it, even if they don't fully appreciate it. I'm sure you put a few smiles on faces with your sign work.

Also, although it's sacrilege, anybody that manages a Hoth reference with a tiki is good people in my book.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-16 09:00 am   Permalink

Welcome back Trader Gino. Nice collection of happy tiki artwork, keep up the good work. (I almost missed the Hoth )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-16 2:44 pm   Permalink

It's great to see you here again. We love Trader Joes and wish our store had all of your art. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 8:55 pm   Permalink

Welcome back! I remember enjoying your old thread and thinking how lucky that Trader Vic's must be to have such exceptional tiki art. Good to see you around again.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 05:08 am   Permalink

Side note: I notice a cannibal looking tiki. You should check out the art swap!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 5:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the warm welcome & kind words everyone. Nice to see a couple people from my original post came back for a look.
Hale Tiki I'll take a look!
More stuff very soon

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:02 pm   Permalink

Today was the first time I had been in a TJs in over 1.5 years and my first thought was "where the heck did the tikis go??"

I love your artwork--thanks for sharing again!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha all! Back with some more stuff, this time painted signs and digital stuff. Enjoy!

So, if you've got this bag, yours truly is the one responsible for it. It was a lot of fun doing it, but I was definitely in my Tiki-infancy (and digital art infancy while I'm at it). I'd like to take this chance to apologize for the horrid tiki and palm frawns that are apparently styled with hair gel.

Glad that's off my chest. Moving on!

Some recent digital work. First guy is for the frozen section so I mixed a little Inuit design in.
Second guy is for the beer section.

A few painted signs

A table where they sell pastries, pies, etc...

This went up in front of a blue wall, hence the blue "vapor trails" behind the beans

This guy was a lot of fun. Can't find the original sketch I made for this sign, but I'll post it when I do.
It was a lot more "Jungle Cruise-y." They wanted something a little tamer.

A couple signs with Polynesian ornament

Thanks for lookin!

Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:46 pm   Permalink

Wanted to sneak this last one in.
Here's some deco I made for our outdoor space.

The Moai and Tiki are made from glued sheets of white insulation foam, then carved & painted.
Did the "Tiki" a WHILE ago as an experiment at work.

A little nod to Frankie's

I'm in the garage working on more and more to add when I have time to.
I'll keep you updated!

Gino

Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 18:02, SandraDee wrote:
Today was the first time I had been in a TJs in over 1.5 years and my first thought was "where the heck did the tikis go??"

See what I'm sayin???

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:37 pm   Permalink

O.K. I never see any cool signage in my local Trader Joe's (in Costa Misery)
Oh Gino, why has Trader Joe forsaken us?

This song is for you, just ignore the spelling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnoUlZnwYy4

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation