FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » El Dorado...8?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
El Dorado...8?
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 06:48 am   Permalink

I know such a beast exists (it's on the ED website) but damned if *I* can find one for sale locally.

Does anyone know of any retailer (preferably but not necessarily in South FL) that carries the ED8?

Thanks in advance!!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 07:54 am   Permalink

i just tried my first bottle, from some hole in the wall in tampa (cant even recall the name).

i like it neat.

for some reason it hasnt mixed well in everything so far (thumbs up on navy grog, mai tai; thumbs down on a daiquiri), seems to me to have funky aftertaste when mixed in drink w/strong lime component.

sorry cant be more helpful, havent seen it much that i can recall either.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 08:28 am   Permalink

I am finding the ED8 as readily as ED5 in the Melbourne area, usually for around $4 more than ED5.

I think it is a pretty versatile product that does work as a sipper, but I think I still prefer ED5 for all-around mixing.

The El Dorado product that continues to elude me is the ED 3 year old white rum which I have heard very good things about. I have yet to find it in Florida.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 11:07 am   Permalink

The ED3 is pretty available in the Miami area...just saw the at our local Total Wines.

Perhaps this has been talked to death, but what'd be the closest approximation to LH80? ED8 or 12?

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 11:46 am   Permalink

Total wines. Those sob's never called me about the case of a certain dark rum that I ordered from them. Dirty so and so's.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 11:07, jokeiii wrote:
The ED3 is pretty available in the Miami area...just saw the at our local Total Wines.

Perhaps this has been talked to death, but what'd be the closest approximation to LH80? ED8 or 12?

ED 3 really is in the Miami area now, huh? I will have to see if it's something our Total Wine can get for me. Have you mixed much with it and what is your verdict?

I think somewhere on Hurricane Hayward's blog is a discussion about basically diluting LH151 to about 50% strength as the best bet for approximating LH80. I think the info may have originally come from somewhere on Ministry of Rum and it talks about doing the dilution very slowly — over the course of 24+ hours I think. I am no chemist so I don't know the reason for the slow dilution and never bothered. At any rate, it turned out I was burning through my LH151 way too quickly using it for 80-proof mixing purposes as well so I stopped.

It has been a few years since I have tasted LH80, but I think there was a bit more of the burnt caramel in the flavor profile than the 5, 8 or 12 year products have. I think a good substitution might be 50% ED 5or ED 8 and 50% ED Superior Dark which has that burnt caramel taste in spades.

Honestly though, I think any of aged 80 proof ED products work as a decent sub for LH80 and I just use whatever I have on hand.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-06-17 12:18 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 12:24 pm   Permalink

sunny, are you able to find LH151 out your way?

havent been able to find it anywhere out here.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 12:24, thePorpoise wrote:
sunny, are you able to find LH151 out your way?

havent been able to find it anywhere out here.

It's very spotty by me. Roy's Liquors in Fort Pierce has been my best bet since it's come back to Florida. Not sure if they have it on the shelf at the moment but I am currently out and need to make a run so I will find out soon.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 2:17 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-17 15:04 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 2:17 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-17 15:04 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 3:03 pm   Permalink

Finding ED Special Dark is an even bigger mission than finding ED8! I think that, unless I can score ED8 and/or ED Sp. Dark, I'll just stick to ED5 and be happy.

-J.

P.S. Not really sure why my last post showed up THREE times at bizarre intervals...sorry, sorry, sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-17 15:15 ]

GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-17 4:30 pm   Permalink

I'm able to get El Dorado 5, 12, 15 and"Cuba Libre" dark rum. No complaints . . . I do quite well with what's offered around these parts.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 5:28 pm   Permalink

The perfect can be the enemy of the good, right?

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 6:18 pm   Permalink

I had a bottle of the ED superior dark once, it was.... not good...

also had a bottle of the Cuba Libre silver, which may or may not be same as ED superior white? anyway, not good...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2013-06-17 18:23 ]

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:03 pm   Permalink

the 15 is great as a sipper

8 is smooth too

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation