FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food El Dorado...8?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
El Dorado...8?
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-17 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 11:07, jokeiii wrote:
The ED3 is pretty available in the Miami area...just saw the at our local Total Wines.

Perhaps this has been talked to death, but what'd be the closest approximation to LH80? ED8 or 12?

My opinion - El Dorado 8 is closer to Lemon Hart 80 than El Dorado 12. However, I've never done a direct comparison.

I have all 3 on hand; perhaps a blind test is in order over the weekend.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 18:18, thePorpoise wrote:
I had a bottle of the ED superior dark once, it was.... not good...

also had a bottle of the Cuba Libre silver, which may or may not be same as ED superior white? anyway, not good...

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2013-06-17 18:23 ]

I hear you on the ED Superior Dark. I had a bottle for more than a year because it was initially a challenging rum to mix with, and something you wouldn't ever contemplate as a sipper. I ended up putting it to good use in 1/2-ounce measures in a Jamaican house party punch whose primary rum constituents were J Wray Overproof and Coruba. It also punches through pineapple juice nicely so it worked well as part of the dark rum component in Hawaiian-style Mai Tais like the Damon's Mai Tai from Taboo Table.

I could be misremembering how much acrid bitter/burnt caramel was in the flavor profile of LH 80, but I seem to recall it had more of that flavor element than any of the premium aged El Dorado products have, so I think at least a small amount of ED Superior Dark might be useful in approximating the LH 80 flavor profile.

I have also been under the impression that the Cuba Libre line of products were identical to the El Dorado line, so I assume the Cuba Libre silver is the same beast as the ED Superior White. I have not been in a hurry to try either of those products, and until the ED 3 year came out the notion of a white Demerara rum had no appeal to me.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 11:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-17 17:28, jokeiii wrote:
The perfect can be the enemy of the good, right?

"You go to war with the Rum you have, not the Rum you wish you had."
-- Donald RUMsfeld

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 12:13 am   Permalink

UPDATE! Also asked Martin Cate and Blair Reynolds their own bad selves, and they both agreed w. Beachbum that ED5 is the best substitute for LH80.

FWIW, I just had this brief exchange w. Beachbum his own bad self:

Me: Please help settle this: Which El Dorado rum is the closest substitution for Lemon Hart 80 Proof: 5 Year, 8 Year, 12 Year or ED Special Dark?

BBB: Oh, the 5 Year.

Which is great, because it's a) the cheapest (I just missed it on sale at my local Total Wines for $18!!) and b) very available.

So there you go.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2013-06-18 13:56 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 11:19 am   Permalink

got a bottle of ED 3. like it very much in a daiquiri, where the demerara flavor really stands out. i think in most cocktails tho you can get similar flavor profile for much less $ by using a jamaican white rum.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation