Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Collecting Tiki in Las Vegas
Collecting Tiki in Las Vegas
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 9:07 pm   Permalink

I recently became a "member" here and so far I have enjoyed the story of all the great Tiki Finds. I scrounge the local Thrift Stores here in Las Vegas but have had the best luck here at our big, outdoor Swap Meet. I've gotten lucky on several occasions here and I think it's because there are not that many Tiki Collectors here (yet!). Here are just some of the finds I have had here in the last year: a set of four mint Jard Mugs for $1.00 each, Aku Aku Scorpion Bowl from the 60's $2.00 and Trader Vic's Grenadine Syrup Bottle for $1.50, just to name a few. It's nice to browse eBay for stuff but it's still more fun to find these for $1.00 to $2.00 apiece. Guess it's the, "thrill of the hunt."

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 07:33 am   Permalink

Lived in Vegas for four years (96-2000), but I didn't have the ratpack era/tiki bug like I do now (though I had an appreciation for it). I did make sure to visit certain places frequently before they were dropped (such as the Sands and the Desert Inn), but as always, I wish I knew then what I do now about such things. I am sure it is a veritable paradise for ratpack/tiki collecting!

BTW how is Vegas doing? I had heard it tanked out badly after 9/11. I hope it is back in form, I sure do miss it.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 07:39 am   Permalink

Aloha vegastikidude. We have a few resident Vegas TC'ers for you to compete with here. As a matter of fact, Hula Hula was complaining a few months ago that his "secret spots" weren't so secret anymore!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 11:03 am   Permalink

BTW how is Vegas doing? I had heard it tanked out badly after 9/11. I hope it is back in form, I sure do miss it.
[/quote]

Vegas, as usual, is fine. Things slowed a little after 9/11 but it's pretty much back to, "normal." It's still just as hot and there are a few new places that have opened. If you can overlook the (sometimes) bad service at the Tiki Bar in the Venetian Hotel, it can be a great place to admire some of the vintage (Tiki) artifacts and, "Talk Tiki!"

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-08 07:39, PolynesianPop wrote:
Aloha vegastikidude. We have a few resident Vegas TC'ers for you to compete with here. As a matter of fact, Hula Hula was complaining a few months ago that his "secret spots" weren't so secret anymore!

I'm sure I know of some of those, "Secret Spots." I have some of my own. Not that I would want him to divulge that info, I'd like to read his message. I always like to hear feedback like that from other collectors. Seems like we all run in to the same problems no matter what part of the country we live in (these days).

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation