FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Petition to help save the International Market Place in Honolulu
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Petition to help save the International Market Place in Honolulu
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 3:40 pm   Permalink

While I'm not so into saving what's left of IMP, I'm more against what will replace it... signed!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 5:41 pm   Permalink

Signed...OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 5:47 pm   Permalink

I'm in.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-26 10:23 pm   Permalink

signed!

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 09:31 am   Permalink

done

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Josoart

Posted: 2013-06-28 02:46 am   Permalink

Aloha !
Found another petition at change.org to leave the International Market Place as is.
See link :
http://www.change.org/petitions/queen-emma-land-company-saks-fifth-avenue-leave-international-marketplace-waikiki-as-it-is?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

View Profile of Josoart Send a personal message to Josoart  Email Josoart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-28 02:46, Josoart wrote:
Aloha !
Found another petition at change.org to leave the International Market Place as is.

Probably better to sign the one and not divide the people with another thing to sign...

Here's my comment on the petition...

While not opposed to the mission of the Queen Emma Foundation to raise money for charitable endeavors, I am deeply shocked about the impending reinvention of the International Market Place into a generic steel and glass structure. It seems to me as the Author/Photographer of "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" that there has been a lack of vision for this new luxury upscale development.

Saving the exceptional Banyan Tree is important, however why is there NO talk of preservation of the Oceanic art on the grounds and their inclusion in the future project? Donn Beach commissioned incredible works of "Tiki" sculpture by Edward M. Brownlee to show visitors the beauty of Polynesia and the pleasures of living in these islands.

This art is scattered throughout the property. Will these simply be destroyed, thrown away or stolen? Much has already been lost and the few remaining examples are very endangered. The rich history and charm of the market will not remain, replaced by a bland structure that could be plopped down anywhere in the world. There is not even going to be a statue of Don the Beachcomber who did a great deal to develop the tourism industry in Hawaii. That does not say Aloha to me.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-28 3:05 pm   Permalink

Signed.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lokahi94

Posted: 2013-06-29 09:56 am   Permalink

signed

View Profile of lokahi94 Send a personal message to lokahi94      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-29 10:26 am   Permalink

I signed awhile back;

We've never been to Hawaii, but (of course) it's on our list of "somedays."

The International Marketplace would be one of our top "must visits" (along
with La Mariana)... I dunno, tho- the more I read about modern Hawaii, the
more it sounds like kind of a bummer even while being one of the most beautiful
places on earth.

Spending the time and cash to fly to Hawaii from Chicago just to walk around in
what sounds more and more like the tropical equivalent of The Shops at
Caesar's Palace is not my bag at all, whatsoever.

(...Of course, just having read the thread(s) about the Waikikian & Tahitian Lanai
might have something to do with my crappy outlook on the 50th State at the moment.)

Let's hope someone has the cojones to turn down the giant bags with dollar signs on them
and keep the IMP going. I would think most modern travelers going to Hawaii for the first
time (whether they care about Tiki or not)would want to see SOMETHING with some vintage,
tourist-y charm. Certain things are always popular, no matter how long they've been around
or how potentially out of fashion they've become.

Removing all the classic tourist spots from the islands is like building a
Wal-Mart at the Grand Canyon... you don't want to go to Wal-Mart, you want to look
at the Grand Canyon and see cool, old Wild West stuff.

It's like going to the Kahiki and seeing a Walgreens instead....

er...

OK. Now I'm officially bummed out.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-29 12:24 pm   Permalink

Go to Hawaii. Now.

No matter how they re-develop the remaining vintage experiences in Honolulu, they can never take away the breathtaking beauty of Waikiki Beach. Sure, it's touristy. But the sand, the water, the view of Diamond Head... These are things which developers can never take away. It is worth seeing at least once. And when you're there, keep in mind that you're never more than a brief stroll from a cocktail, or a unique dining experience. Also, there are some unique world-class mixologists employed at Waikiki Beach waterfront venues, although few, if any, offer classic tiki cocktails or any sort of tiki experience. But there is much to see and discover and you would be well-rewarded by making at least a stop there to take it all in.

Sign the petition and don't hold your breath. But go to Hawaii as soon as you can.

And if you go now you may also discover that tourism is down and hotel prices are surprisingly more affordable than in the past. This is especially true if you shop hotels which are a block in from the waterfront.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-29 1:36 pm   Permalink

AceExplorer:

Thanks for the encouraging words; truly, no matter how many chain stores they slap on it, it's still Hawaii.

I feel better now.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-30 04:32 am   Permalink

My pleasure, Pete.

I am reminded that travelers who do a little research and take the time to ask questions of the locals are often rewarded with rich rewards and plenty of great off-the-beaten-path things to see and do.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 10:46 pm   Permalink

Bad TV reporting in my opinion, but almost 1500 have signed.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-07-16 06:06 am   Permalink

What's going on with this petition? Last week it was down to only needing 89 more signatures and now it needs 869?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation