FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki An Outsider's Guide to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
An Outsider's Guide to Tiki
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 08:45 am   Permalink

As a rule of thumb, my personal definition of Tiki is usually "stuff that does not suck"; it has served me well.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 08:45 am   Permalink

"or the 70s'

So Thin Lizzy is out?

Swanky your bar is awesome!
Really.

It took me to imaginary Polynesian island were I was in a contest, trying
to out blow a Jack Sparrow like specimen in a conch shell contest.
We were all quite taken aback when of all things a native girl was
able to out blow all of us.
She came with her own horn, and this horn was a lot harder to play than
the one we had as her horn had a large hole brought on by years of blowing.
Oh how she could blow!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-06-21 09:13 am   Permalink

"a native girl was able to out blow all of us."

"She came with her own horn"

"a lot harder"

"as her horn had a large hole brought on by years of blowing"

"Oh how she could blow!"

Swanky, what kind of joint are you running up there?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 09:40 am   Permalink

All true.
Word for word.

Helps to read it like J Peterman though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlinvw2Rb0

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 00:48, bigbrotiki wrote:

Also, I would make more clear that the appeal of Tiki lies in that fact that it is fake, an IMAGINED, American projection of Polynesia.

as someone that is relatively new to the depths of tiki/polypop culture, the above was the most fascinating fact to me when i learned it.

lucky, i do agree with some on the length. i read it on principal so i could give an honest opinion, but would rarely be so engaged to make my way through something so lengthly. not that it isn't interesting, correct, or informative, but possibly TOO comprehensive. i'm not sure one needs to know so many specific examples or details of what is/isn't tiki, or feel that there is any specific line as to where it does/doesn't stop.

acknowledgement of donn & vic is imperative, but you don't need their life story. the sub categories of food, clothes, music need not be so specific as well, they could probably be summed up a sentence or two a piece. beyond that, i would just stay away from specifics and names unless you put together a "resource guide" at the bottom with links to respective sites.

other than that, i would just try to take a more "welcome! let me tell you a few interesting facts, and perhaps you'll be interested in learning more on your own!" approach. in reading, i got more of a "this is the tiki law. follow exactly, or you will be shunned!"

and above all, realize these are the opinions of someone that didn't care enough to draft something like this. kudos to you for you even making the effort, sincerely. please take everything *i* said as my own, and is the sincerest perspective of someone that wants to help.

cheers!

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

A valiant effort...
I would make more clear that the appeal of Tiki lies in that fact that it is fake, an IMAGINED, American projection of Polynesia.

I LIKE this statement! Everyone has their own personal definition of what is "TIKI" is, and thats the way it should be. I know there is a desire to define the movement - its like herding cats... You may round up some of the cats but there's always a few that get away or few unwanted ones that sneak in. On that note I'm gonna go enjoy a few beers at my favorite Florida Tiki bar (that statement should make more than a few tiki-snob's heads explode).

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:52 am   Permalink

We always go easy on the Florida Ohana
because who knows if the next "Hurricane" will turn
the entire state into a swamp

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:01 pm   Permalink

Its already a swamp where I live. I feel bad for you left coasters because your backyard may be the next good surf break!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Also, I would make more clear that the appeal of Tiki lies in that fact that it is fake, an IMAGINED, American projection of Polynesia.

I sincerely hope that I was not wrong in assuming that we are all educated adults here and that I did not burst anyone's bubble with this!

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 11:26, AlohaStation wrote:
On that note I'm gonna go enjoy a few beers at my favorite Florida Tiki bar (that statement should make more than a few tiki-snob's heads explode).

I believe that what Aloha Station was referring to here is the curious fact that Florida has its very own definition of "Tiki Bar", which is aptly illustrated by this article in which 8 of the so-called "10 BEST Tiki Bars" have little to nothing to do with Tiki

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/2013/06/ten_best_tiki_bars_in_south_florida.php?page=2

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-06-21 12:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 12:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

I sincerely hope that I was not wrong in assuming that we are all educated adults here and that I did not burst anyone's bubble with this!

i learned this at your presentation at last years hukilau...it was honestly like the curtain being pulled back on the "great & powerful oz". not the wizard you thought or respected, but now an even MORE interesting individual that he pulled it off.

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 12:59 pm   Permalink

Yes - FL does have a very skewed vision of tiki bars (which I grew up with), however, we do have the Mai Kai (and I have been enlightened)!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-21 12:59, AlohaStation wrote:
Yes - FL does have a very skewed vision of tiki bars (which I grew up with), however, we do have the Mai Kai (and I have been enlightened)!

And when we visit a "Florida tiki bar" we get the pleasure of pointing and laughing...

Seriously, I love walking in, grinning, and then asking the bartender, "So, where's your tiki?" The look, and the responses, are often priceless!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnyvelvet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-30 05:55 am   Permalink

So Hale Tiki, how has the reception of your gospel been? Have any of the people at The Tiki Bar or the other venues you mentioned been receptive to your approach, or do they sort of gloss over the details and lump you in with the Parrothead school of thought? At least you're trying in an urban locale. Imagine trying to put on a semi-authentic Tiki event in central Louisiana...

View Profile of johnnyvelvet Send a personal message to johnnyvelvet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinut

Posted: 2013-07-04 05:02 am   Permalink

I am a fledgling in tiki culture, though I've gotten my feet wet by collecting tiki mugs the past couple years... (Suddenly just realized i loved it one day.) Interesting to think about the two approaches, the "traditional/historical" which aims to preserve history and be true to the origin of tiki culture in America, and the interpretive (previously described earlier as "fake") or perhaps you could say "adapted" tiki approach.

For those who have been immersed in tiki longer than I have you may disagree but what I find the most fascinating is the transition of tiki between the historical and modern and the fact that they coexist so beautifully. (Now I am not suggesting that margaritaville, for example is "tiki" I totally agree with previous comments that not everything Is tiki) but to give you an example I'm typing this and looking at my vintage Kowloon tiki mug sitting next to my "Shecky" and i love them both. I enjoy viewing vintage photos from Polynesia and I also like the works of Shag. I absolutely love mai tais but i confess, rum drinks that may not be "traditional" have been put into my usable tikis. I think whatever personal tiki "experience" an individual has on the journey, if it leads to the same destination (metaphorically) then it has some validity. That has been my tiki experience so far. I guess that makes me a heinz57 since i embrace both.

View Profile of Tikinut Send a personal message to Tikinut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 09:39 am   Permalink

I like the fact that Florida is so un-tiki.

It's like a really hot, dumb girl that I can have a bad influence on...

[ This Message was edited by: pjc5150 2013-07-04 10:01 ]

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation