FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » An honest comment from an occasional drinker
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
An honest comment from an occasional drinker
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 1:43 pm   Permalink

try cachaca (brazilian liquor) if you cant find martinique rum.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 1:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-30 13:36, TikiTacky wrote:
Thanks for all the great responses, guys. I'm definitely still enjoying everything I'm reading about tiki culture, tiki drinks, and of course, rum. For a guy who doesn't drink a lot I've spent an awful lot on liquor! The good news is that most of it will apparently keep just fine for many years.

Tonight I plan to make a Mai Tai with my new bottle of Pierre Fernand Dry Orange Curaçao. I don't have any Martinique rums (sigh), but I've heard some good things about mixing Smith Cross with Appleton V/X, both of which I've got. Should make for a strong drink, though. I realize it isn't a proper Mai Tai, but it should make for a better comparison once I get some proper Martinique Rhum Agricole.

There really isn't any such thing as a "proper" Mai Tai for modern devotees anymore unless you have $50K or so to spend on a vintage bottle of J Wray and Nephew 17 Year Old Jamaican Rum. The Beachbum's suggestion to pair aged Jamaican and Martinique rums is a great way for us to at least approximate some of the layers of complexity the original TV Mai Tai had, but there are countless combinations of quality rums to explore in a near limitless array of "proper" Mai Tais.

Appleton V/X and Smith&Cross will give you a stellar drink, but depending on how much you dig the pot still funkiness of S&C (I find it addicting) I suggest you start with 3:1 Appleton to S&C and go from there.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 1:59 pm   Permalink

I agree- go with 2 oz of rums you like. I've done the appleton 12 yr and clement vsop combo, and i personally prefer 2 oz of dark and/or demerara rums, and I cut the amount of lime.

there are a lot of mai tai discussions on this forum re every component of the drink.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2013-06-30 14:00 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-06-30 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
depending on how much you dig the pot still funkiness of S&C (I find it addicting) I suggest you start with 3:1 Appleton to S&C and go from there.

Good point. I was a bit put off by the S&C the first time I sipped it straight, thinking it had sort of an "I-just-vomited-in-my-mouth" aftertaste, but found it to be amazing in a daiquiri. We'll see how I like it in the Mai Tai.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some Rhum Agricole in the local stores, but I think it was a bit on the pricey side. I'll do a bit of exploration.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 07:10 am   Permalink

Hi

If you said 'I don't know how to mix' as a rum start point Id recommend:

a daiquiri
a mojito
an old fashioned

Any drinker (seasoned or not) will appreciate a well made version of the above rather than a badly made fancy drink.

IMO these are great drinks for working out how to mix because they are quite different - the daiquiri is about balancing sweetness & tartness, the mojito is about sweetness & tartness but not losing the soft mint flavour, the old fashioned is about putting in the right amount of a strong flavour in (the bitters).

Suggestions: Try a different rum, try a different type of lime, try shaking, try stirring, try different bitters, do / don't measure what you are putting in, etc

When you've found your sweet spot... find another recipe to try

Tiki drinks are about balance & the same learning process is applicable. I love it when they come together right, I have actually said 'Wow! Thats a new favourite'

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-30 12:08, thePorpoise wrote:
If you're going to mix through the hundreds of tiki drinks in books out there, IMO many are going to be very similar tasting...

the MaiTai, Scorpion, Fogcutter, Zombie, and Navy Grog are distinctive drinks...

I agree - some drinks do taste too similar. I just dont make them a 2nd time.

The tiki 'classics' are distinctive & brilliant.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-01 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-01 07:31, AdOrAdam wrote:
The tiki 'classics' are distinctive & brilliant.

Very well said!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-01 10:23 am   Permalink

Here was the recipe for last night's Mai Tai:

.5 oz Smith Cross
1.5 oz Appleton V/X
.5 oz Pierre Fernand Dry Orange Curaçao
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
.25 oz Monin "Orgeat" (Almond)
.25 oz sugar cane syrup

This was a strong drink, but in my opinion the flavor was stellar. It wasn't overpowered by the alcohol, and the flavors were complex. I'm going to make another tonight and spend some time examining it to see what I can discern.

Also, I did find some Rhum Agricole at the local liquor store, but it's quite spendy.

The few reviews I saw were very good, but that is not surprising for this price range.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-07-01 10:26 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 11:25 am   Permalink

At $42 for a liter (34 oz) of the amber, that's only $1.25 per cocktail. Add in the other ingredients and you're talking less than $4 for a Mai Tai.

Think of how much cheaper that is that going to a bar!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-01 11:25, djmont wrote:

Think of how much cheaper that is that going to a bar!

Especially if you pay top dollar and get a crappy version of a great drink! I don't think I'll ever order another Mai-Tai unless I am at a tried and true Tiki establishment.

I get where you are coming from TT, but it looks like you are well on your way to finding the style of drink that really WOWs you.
What better place to start than with a classic Mai-Tai!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation