FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Kohala Bay Rum
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 8:26 pm   Permalink

Some interesting new updates to the "Rums of The Mai-Kai" story on The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

I look at the history of Dagger, along with the lesser known Appleton Punch, in the historic cocktails that started with Don the Beachcomber.

Then I reveal that The Mai-Kai actually now uses Appleton Estate Signature Blend, not Reserve Blend, in all the cocktails that previously featured Kohala Bay. I did some head-to-head tests, and while neither approach Kohala Bay's funky flavor, it doesn't matter much which one you use.

I also look at a few other obscure Jamaican rums that could serve as a Kohala Bay replacement. Neither is available in the U.S., but one that's currently available in Jamaica could be Kohala Bay’s long-lost brother ...

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-06-03 20:27 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 6:40 pm   Permalink

So glad I stocked up on this.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-05 18:40, PalmtreePat wrote:

Explain, sir. Also Col. Tiki said that Doctor Bird could provide some fun in recipes like Black Magic where that Kohala is needed. Anybody have thoughts on that as a substitute?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-06 09:59, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-06-05 18:40, PalmtreePat wrote:

Explain, sir. Also Col. Tiki said that Doctor Bird could provide some fun in recipes like Black Magic where that Kohala is needed. Anybody have thoughts on that as a substitute?

I hunted the stuff down while I was in Jamaica and brought back the maximum permitted amount of 5 bottles. Been rationing it out for special occasions and really crappy days ever since. As for the Doctor Bird, it has the proper funk and heat I'd say, but it doesn't quite have that same woody, smokey, demerara-like finish that Black Label and (I'm assuming) Kohala Bay have. If you paired it with a little bit of your favorite demerara I think you'd be very much in the same ballpark but I haven't actually done any experiments yet.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation