FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-08 10:20 pm   Permalink

The Kohala Bay saga really does mark the end of the modern day Dagger legacy, which as Hurricane Hayward points out, traces it's storied past all the way to our Tiki forefather. In short, this is a mixing rum of a truly high order. A rum with an extraordinary readiness and distinctive funkiness such as I have never found in any other rum and which it is not likely I shall ever find again.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-09 07:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-09-08 22:20, RumScrummager wrote:
The Kohala Bay saga really does mark the end of the modern day Dagger legacy, which as Hurricane Hayward points out, traces it's storied past all the way to our Tiki forefather. In short, this is a mixing rum of a truly high order. A rum with an extraordinary readiness and distinctive funkiness such as I have never found in any other rum and which it is not likely I shall ever find again.

The frustrating part is that it's a product with significant built-in demand and potential for growth, yet by all accounts the importer sees it as little more than a nuisance SKU number on a ledger sheet that it finally has been able to put to bed.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-09-09 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-09-09 07:55, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
The frustrating part is that it's a product with significant built-in demand and potential for growth, yet by all accounts the importer sees it as little more than a nuisance SKU number on a ledger sheet that it finally has been able to put to bed.

The same happened to Oronoco rum.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-15 1:43 pm   Permalink

In happier times: Back bar tour at The Mai-Kai in January 2016.

The Atomic Grog is updated with the latest rum news from The Mai-Kai: There's still no sign of Kohala Bay returning, Appleton Reserve continues to be the replacement rum, and plans are moving forward with a possible substitute. Included is a list of which drinks benefit and which suffer from the switch.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

We also have news on the return of Lemon Hart 151 ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-15 6:25 pm   Permalink

New items added to the list of what to grab in case of fire.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-24 8:03 pm   Permalink

Tonga Tiki may very well hold the record for the most (unopened) bottles of Kohala Bay! Lucky bugger...

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-27 2:04 pm   Permalink

Tonga Tiki: I know where I'm headed when the Zombie Apocalypse hits.

For those not so lucky, here's another potential Kohala Bay substitute to consider (suggested by mikehooker). I recently put a 50/50 mix of Smith & Cross and Appleton Reserve to the test, both neat and in the Big Bamboo. It was compared to Kohala Bay (left) and Smith & Cross / El Dorado 12 (middle), the long-running No. 1 recommended substitute ...

I'm raking it No. 2, tied with the more complicated Smith & Cross/Myers’s/Gosling’s mix. While they're slightly distinctive and different, I can't decide which qualifies as second best. It's probably just a matter of taste. But both are perferable to any of the lower choices.

Here's the updated rankings ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-30 12:50 pm   Permalink

What about El Dorado 12-year and Appleton Rare Blend (12-year)? The higher proof on the Appleton Rare Blend (86 proof) is higher than Appleton Reserve's lower 80 proof, and more in keeping with Kohala Bay's original 87.6 proof. Also, Appleton Rare Blend (12-year) is a darker liquid. In terms of proof alone, this would perhaps be the closest approximation. Smith & Cross is slightly too 'overproof' (114 proof) and may prove to be too overpowering in drinks where Kohala Bay shined.

RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-11 6:33 pm   Permalink

Between Tonga Tiki, myself, and Hurricane, that's 9 verified unopened bottles of Kohala Bay. If we can locate three more unopened bottles, that's a whole 'verified' case of the stuff. We should then start the KBPS (Kohala Bay Preservation Society) whereby we afford curious 'rummies' and Tiki aficionados alike the opportunity to sip and savor the precious liquid. We could then use the proceeds from these 'samplings' to hire a lobbyist to travel to Jamaica to petition National Rums of Jamaica (who also distill Mony Musk rums) to bring back this historically important and culturally significant rum.

CongoPete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-14 10:16 am   Permalink

Now that the trade restriction with Cuba is fully lifted today ... I wonder if there is a stash of Kohala Bay that we can get from some old Cuban place .. or better yet a stash of Dagger that has not seen the light of day for 40-50 years

View Profile of CongoPete Send a personal message to CongoPete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Pat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-14 11:38 am   Permalink

I had two unopened bottles, but the rigors of Hurricane Matthew caused me to open one. Now I have one unopened bottle and one 1/2 bottle. Sigh.

View Profile of Uncle Pat Send a personal message to Uncle Pat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-14 10:52 pm   Permalink

Uncle Pat, that's good to know. We're vastly becoming a far-flung lot, however, together we might have enough leverage to petition someone higher up the food chain to resurrect this timeless rum. As for Cuba, it sounds like we need to plan some kind of skirmish (or dawn raid) on the island in an effort to uncover any hidden cases of the stuff. You never know, those crafty Cubans could have an old warehouse stockpiled full of the stuff - just imagine...

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-15 10:23 am   Permalink

The supply having been interrupted, I can see why the decision makers at the distillery are weighing whether or not to put it back into production. With only one spot accounting for 98 to 99% of its sales I guess it has been coasting for a long time. Horribly biased, like most of us Tikiphiles, I'd like to see it return with an effort to widen the distribution. Without any special promotion, it would be just another dark rum competing for shelf space. Perhaps if it had its own website and got some exposure at next year's rum events, it could pick up some notoriety. Given its unique flavor profile, I think it would fare well in competition and would have a lot of Tiki bars and craft cocktail bars wanting it.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Pat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-10-15 11:05 am   Permalink

Given that most of the vintage cars on Cuba are now running on surplus Russian tractor parts, I'd hate to think what all of those vintage rum bottles now contain. Yikes!

View Profile of Uncle Pat Send a personal message to Uncle Pat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-10-22 8:23 pm   Permalink

Had to break out the good stuff tonight for a proper Swizzle, which begat another. I've been preserving my final few ounces for a while now but am suddenly terrified I can't hold back the urge to use the remainder. Something has to give. Soon.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation