FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-12 4:33 pm   Permalink

Speaking of Subs... KB offered both richness, and funk. I wonder why there are so little rums on the market offering both Molasses + Funk? It seems like we have to make a compromise when Jamaican rum is called for. Many think the best sub is Smith and Cross + a Demerara. What about Hamilton's Pot Still rum?
Appleton seems like a bland choice offering little richness/molasis and moderate funk. Thoughts?

View Profile of lll888 Send a personal message to lll888      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-14 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-12 16:33, lll888 wrote:
Speaking of Subs .... Many think the best sub is Smith and Cross + a Demerara. What about Hamilton's Pot Still rum?

I did a side-by-side tasting of Smith & Cross and Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum, a month or so ago, when the subject of Kohala Bay subs was being discussed on our Texas Tiki-philes Facebook group. I have not tasted KB, so I don't know exactly how "funky" it is - I'm working off descriptions. But the Hamilton Black Rum is very funky, compared to S&C. My comment then, was "The S&C, I can handle as a sipping rum. The Hamilton... my thoughts immediately jump to 'dunder pit'". An hour and a half later, I was running errands and still strongly experiencing the aftertaste. What a finish! I expect 1 part Hamilton to 3 or 4 parts other rum(s) would give you all the funk you want. Maybe Appleton for the rest. And maybe a little Myers's, if you need more molasses.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-14 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-14 14:19, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

Speaking of Subs .... Many think the best sub is Smith and Cross + a Demerara. What about Hamilton's Pot Still rum?

I did a side-by-side tasting of Smith & Cross and Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum, a month or so ago, when the subject of Kohala Bay subs was being discussed on our Texas Tiki-philes Facebook group. I have not tasted KB, so I don't know exactly how "funky" it is - I'm working off descriptions. But the Hamilton Black Rum is very funky, compared to S&C. My comment then, was "The S&C, I can handle as a sipping rum. The Hamilton... my thoughts immediately jump to 'dunder pit'". An hour and a half later, I was running errands and still strongly experiencing the aftertaste. What a finish! I expect 1 part Hamilton to 3 or 4 parts other rum(s) would give you all the funk you want. Maybe Appleton for the rest. And maybe a little Myers's, if you need more molasses.

Thanks for the input. For giggles I mixed the following today for my "Dark Jamaican".

1 bottle of Smith and Cross
.75 Bottle El Dorado 15
.5 Bottle Appleton Reserve
.25 Bottle Goslings
.25 Bottle Blackwell

I did so because I really stopped using Goslings and Appleton. I wouldn't say its the best, but it's closer to where I want to be when it comes to a Jamaican rum. I hate deciding between S&C/Appleton or Blackwell so this simplifies life.

View Profile of lll888 Send a personal message to lll888      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-15 06:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-14 14:50, lll888 wrote:
.75 Bottle El Dorado 15
.25 Bottle Goslings
.25 Bottle Blackwell

I went shopping online for "bottle"-sized jiggers. Everyone laughed at me. What gives?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-15 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-15 06:01, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-11-14 14:50, lll888 wrote:
.75 Bottle El Dorado 15
.25 Bottle Goslings
.25 Bottle Blackwell

I went shopping online for "bottle"-sized jiggers. Everyone laughed at me. What gives?

hahaha!

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-15 2:18 pm   Permalink

AceExpolorer, we have them at The Storm Shelter!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-16 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-15 14:18, TikiHardBop wrote:
AceExpolorer, we have them at The Storm Shelter!

That's cuz you folks at the Storm Shelter are SO AWESOME!!!!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-17 06:50 am   Permalink

I posted this on the Mai Kai thread, but it probably bears repeating here...

I've been playing with blends for awhile. I had been playing around with a Coruba/Hamilton Pot Still/Appleton Signature mixture, but when I found out the Mai Kai was using Appleton Reserve, I immediately altered course and came up with the following:

5 parts Appleton Reserve Blend
1 part Lemon Hart 151
1 part Hamilton Black Pot Still Rum

The Reserve delivers most of the rich flavor and the Hamilton brings the funk. It's possible Kohala Bay actually contains (contained) some of the same rums as Appleton Reserve with the addition of funkier pot still varieties.
The LH 151 in the mix is basically to get the ABV in the ballpark without disrupting the overall flavor profile.

The net result: a 91 proof Dark Jamaican that is very close in flavor to Kohala Bay and mixes like a champ. There is a missing high note, but it's a subtle difference. The original Kohala Bay would have been proofed down from higher proof barrels of rum instead of incorporating a foreign element like Lemon Hart, so that accounts for the difference.

[ This Message was edited by: Quince_at_Dannys 2016-11-17 06:52 ]

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-17 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-14 14:19, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

I picked up Hamilton Jamaican Black Pot Still hoping it will be that sweet spot between 'Molasis and Funk'. HOLY MOLY. This thing is easily 2x more funky than Smith and Cross and looks to be geared towards max-level rum enthusiasts. I't left me feeling uncomfortable just smelling it! Woof! You mentioned 1 Part Hamilton + 3/4 Parts other rums because right now I have about 1 gallon of Smith And Cross / Appleton / Gosslings mix. I may take you up on that offer.

lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-17 5:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-17 06:50, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
I posted this on the Mai Kai thread, but it probably bears repeating here...

I've been playing with blends for awhile. I had been playing around with a Coruba/Hamilton Pot Still/Appleton Signature mixture, but when I found out the Mai Kai was using Appleton Reserve, I immediately altered course and came up with the following:

1 part Lemon Hart 151

EDIT! Because you've done the work, I will go buy these today.

Picked up 2 half gallon bottles on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FP8JZF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[ This Message was edited by: lll888 2016-11-18 12:47 ]

lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-18 5:32 pm   Permalink

Here we go...

http://m.imgur.com/a/xIjWh

theoutoftownlocal

Posted: 2016-11-21 3:19 pm   Permalink

My last 2 bottles. Had to crack one open. Hoping of a miracle resurrection.
My home bar drink is made with lime and all house made, falernum, pimento dram, spiced rum, with Kohala Bay and LH 151 (still have a stash).
Guess I'll have to start playing with the substitute concoctions. It really is a special mixing rum.

View Profile of theoutoftownlocal Send a personal message to theoutoftownlocal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-22 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-18 17:32, lll888 wrote:
Here we go...

So? don't leave us in suspense

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-22 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-22 09:29, Scaramouch wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-11-18 17:32, lll888 wrote:
Here we go...

So? don't leave us in suspense

I posted in another thread (some overlap). Anyway, I ended up blending:

5 Part Appleton Reserve
1 Part Hamilton Jamaican Black
1 Part Plantation OFTD [Because I was eager to use it]

Overall, the blend was incredible in flavor and nose. It's exactly the 'dark/black' rum blend that I was looking for. Bold and funky without being too high of proof or overpowering. The nose on the blend is glorious (even though I dislike Hamilton black).

lll888
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-22 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-17 06:50, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Quince Blend
1 part Lemon Hart 151

[ This Message was edited by: lll888 2016-11-22 17:03 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation