FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-04-12 08:42 am   Permalink

I don't know what's wrong with my taste buds. I love nearly all of Hamilton's rums - the navy is superb, the 86 and 151 are excellent, the pimento dram is a really interesting switch up from St Elizabeths, and the St Lucia's are some of my favorite sippers.

But that Jamaican Pot Still Black? The one and only bottle of rum that offended me so much I poured it down the drain. I really like other Jamaican funky rums, but to me, this one was just so intense, it reminded me of something that died and had been marinated in durian fruit juice.

Like I say, I know it's not the rum and it must be my taste buds, as so many people here rave about it, but I just couldn't get into it.

FWIW Cilantro also tastes to me like soap. So your results may vary

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-14 8:53 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see your review of the blends HH!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-16 12:00 am   Permalink

Scaramouch: Have you tasted the rum lately? I had a sip of one of the initial bottles a few years ago and I remember having a similar reaction. Perhaps the early batches were not quite right. I'm enjoying this new one. It's quite balanced and approachable.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-04-16 7:18 pm   Permalink

Thabks for the heads up. Maybe I'll take another chance at it some time.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-16 10:40 pm   Permalink

A rare find: I recently discovered some dusty bottles of Sea Wynde in a back corner of a sketchy South Florida liquor store. A 92-proof blend from Jamaica and Guyana, this is a bad-ass, funky rum. It's been off the market for years, but if you ever see a bottle, by all means grab it. It can definitely stand in for Dagger ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-07 11:53 pm   Permalink

Let the madness begin ...

We are attempting to compare 14 different Kohala Bay substitutes to the real deal in a blind tasting, from single rums to four-rum blends. This includes most of those suggested here. And by "we," I mean me. So bear with me, but I hope to have some definitive results soon.

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-05-08 00:45 ]

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-05-08 04:48 am   Permalink

I hope you make it out alive!!!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-08 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-07 23:53, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
So bear with us, but we hope to have some definitive results soon.

Fixed the illusion. Good luck - honestly I'll probably just use Coruba instead. I've only ever owned one handle of Kohala - when it runs out I probably won't be able to tell the difference by the next time I make another tribute recipe.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-08 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-07 23:53, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Let the madness begin ...

We are attempting to compare 14 different Kohala Bay substitutes to the real deal in a blind tasting, from single rums to four-rum blends. This includes most of those suggested here. And by "we," I mean me. So bear with me, but I hope to have some definitive results soon.

Okole maluna!

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-05-08 00:45 ]

I can hardly wait to read the results. Happy hunting!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-08 10:30 pm   Permalink

UPDATE: I'm roughly halfway through the blind tastings and have eliminated half of the competition ...

Not surprisingly, the four stand-alone rums are at the bottom, along with three blends that do not include a 151 rum. I've decided to group them into four tiers, with the bottom two having been determined.

Now comes the hard part: Sorting out the top two tiers and picking an overall favorite.

To be continued ...

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-05-09 07:07 am   Permalink

Our livers salute you.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-09 07:07, mikehooker wrote:
Our livers salute you.

Hear, hear!

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-09 07:22, PalmtreePat wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-05-09 07:07, mikehooker wrote:
Our livers salute you.

Hear, hear!

As always, you're doing the Lord's work HH. Thank you!

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-09 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Now comes the hard part: Sorting out the top two tiers and picking an overall favorite.

To be continued ...

Can't wait to hear the results! Then I can be a little less precious about that last remaining jug of KB

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 8:59 pm   Permalink

And then there were three ...

After extensive blind tastings, I've narrowed the field down to the three closest Kohala Bay substitutes. I won't reveal them yet, but you can see the rums that are featured. I have a clear favorite, but I'd like to try all three in a Rum Barrel as the ultimate test. Final results are so close I can taste it.

One unexpected bonus: I poured all the other blends that didn't make the top 3 into one mega blend (pictured at right) that's one hell of a Navy rum.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation