FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-06-03 8:26 pm   Permalink

Some interesting new updates to the "Rums of The Mai-Kai" story on The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

I look at the history of Dagger, along with the lesser known Appleton Punch, in the historic cocktails that started with Don the Beachcomber.

Then I reveal that The Mai-Kai actually now uses Appleton Estate Signature Blend, not Reserve Blend, in all the cocktails that previously featured Kohala Bay. I did some head-to-head tests, and while neither approach Kohala Bay's funky flavor, it doesn't matter much which one you use.

I also look at a few other obscure Jamaican rums that could serve as a Kohala Bay replacement. Neither is available in the U.S., but one that's currently available in Jamaica could be Kohala Bay’s long-lost brother ...

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-06-03 20:27 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

So glad I stocked up on this.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-06 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-05 18:40, PalmtreePat wrote:

Explain, sir. Also Col. Tiki said that Doctor Bird could provide some fun in recipes like Black Magic where that Kohala is needed. Anybody have thoughts on that as a substitute?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-06 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-06 09:59, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-06-05 18:40, PalmtreePat wrote:

Explain, sir. Also Col. Tiki said that Doctor Bird could provide some fun in recipes like Black Magic where that Kohala is needed. Anybody have thoughts on that as a substitute?

I hunted the stuff down while I was in Jamaica and brought back the maximum permitted amount of 5 bottles. Been rationing it out for special occasions and really crappy days ever since. As for the Doctor Bird, it has the proper funk and heat I'd say, but it doesn't quite have that same woody, smokey, demerara-like finish that Black Label and (I'm assuming) Kohala Bay have. If you paired it with a little bit of your favorite demerara I think you'd be very much in the same ballpark but I haven't actually done any experiments yet.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-06-24 5:18 pm   Permalink

After receiving a bottle recently, my take on Doctor Bird is that it's not really a 1:1 replacement for Kohala Bay. It's a great, funky Jamaican rum but more akin to Hamilton Pot Still and Smith & Cross on the extreme end of the Jamaican rum spectrum. Remember, Kohala Bay was a general mixing rum, not too far removed from Coruba.

However, I would not hesitate to try different blends with Doctor Bird, similar to those that call for Smith & Cross in small doses.

I'm now excited about the new offering from Plantation:

http://cocktailwonk.com/2018/05/xaymaca-deeply-deconstructed.html

From what I've heard, it could be exactly what we're looking for.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davidphantomatic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-24 5:26 pm   Permalink

The wait for Xaymaca is killing me. I can’t wait to try it!

[ This Message was edited by: davidphantomatic 2018-06-28 18:50 ]

View Profile of davidphantomatic Send a personal message to davidphantomatic  Goto the website of davidphantomatic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-28 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-24 17:26, davidphantomatic wrote:
The way for Xaymaca is killing me. I can’t wait to try it!

God, tell me about it. I check my favorite liquor store's websites once a day to see if its in yet. It ain't healthy.

davidphantomatic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-28 6:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-28 13:33, PalmtreePat wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-06-24 17:26, davidphantomatic wrote:
The way for Xaymaca is killing me. I can’t wait to try it!

God, tell me about it. I check my favorite liquor store's websites once a day to see if its in yet. It ain't healthy.

I asked my favorite local shop and was told their distributor is telling them early August for it to drop in Texas.
I’ve been seeing it pop up on Instagram overseas, so hopefully it won’t take that long.

View Profile of davidphantomatic Send a personal message to davidphantomatic  Goto the website of davidphantomatic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-07-01 10:38 pm   Permalink

During my Mai-Kai cocktail class at The Hukilau, we held a silent auction for one of the bottles recently discovered in South Florida ...

The winning bid topped $200! The lucky winner sent me this photo of his haul from the weekend ...

mikehooker

Posted: 2018-07-12 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-24 17:18, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

I had the opportunity to sample Xaymaca the other night at Lei Low. Alexandre Gabriel was in town for Mai Tai Tuesday and Lei Low was making the classic Vic recipe with various Plantation expressions. To my delight, there was a partial bottle of Xaymaca on hand (the X is pronounced like a Z - if I recall correctly, it's phonetically Zai - Mah - Ka. Or maybe it was Zay - Mah - Ka). This wasn't part of the rum list for the Mai Tai's they were serving cuz there was so little available.

I received a small pour and my eyes lit up. THIS is what I've been waiting for. No, it's not going to be a 1:1 Kohala Bay sub (it doesn't have the proof or funk), but it's full bodied and flavorful. Bottled at 43%, it's extremely approachable (I immediately asked for a second pour cuz the first went down real quick). It doesn't have the burn of Smith & Cross cuz the lower ABV, but it also wasn't as bold and funky as Hamilton pot still. It's just a perfectly balanced rum. I'm curious (and forgot to ask) how long the rums in this blend were aged cuz it's shockingly mellow yet very flavorful.

My invalidated impression is that this is what rum USED to taste like decades ago, before column still became the norm and bold flavors were essentially eradicated. I don't imagine this has near the aging of the old J. Wray 17 or 15 year rums Vic used in the '40s to make his original Mai Tai, but perhaps this is more in the ballpark of the flavor profile of those rums than others on the market today. The home blends that everyone is doing now (and even products like Denizen) are mimicking the later iterations that Vic had to employ when the aged Jamaican rum supply ran out. The original Mai Tai relied solely on one spectacular rum. With this in mind, I pleaded for a 2 oz pour of Xaymaca in a Mai Tai, to which the Plantation rep in charge of the bottle obliged. It was FANTASTIC! Later in the night when the crowd had dispersed and the bottle remained with just a couple ounces left and no one there demonstrating any interest, I asked if they could do me another Mai Tai. So grateful they allowed it. Truly divine.

My takeaway. This is a delicious rum than can be sipped and will make an incredible mixer. I imagine a blend with Smith and Cross will produce a suitable Kohala Bay sub. I can't wait to get some bottles and start playing with it. It comes to Texas in September. Not sure about the rest of the country.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hawkfan22

Posted: 2018-07-12 11:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Everyone,

I came across this bottle a while back and have been trying to figure out how old it is. After seeing a similar bottle that is part of Stephen Remsberg’s collection on the 2nd page of this thread I was hoping someone could tell me more about it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

View Profile of Hawkfan22 Send a personal message to Hawkfan22      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-07-17 9:27 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Mike for your due diligence and determination! Sounds like we'll find lots of uses for Xaymaca, which is pronounced "zay-muck-uh" according to Cocktail Wonk. But I like your pronunciations better.

It will be interesting to see if an age statement is included in the promotion of this rum. As the Wonk's blot post points out, there are various rums in this blend from two historic Jamaican distilleries (Clarendon and Long Pond). Three of the main four rums in the blend are aged 1 year in Jamaica and 1-2 years in Cognac barrels in France per the Plantation formula. One of the four is aged 8 years in Jamaica, then 1 in France.

There's also a mysterious fifth rum component from Long Pond that is reportedly aged 17 years, mostly in Jamaica. (It was distilled in 2000.) But, as Matt points out, rum No. 5 "is not necessarily a permanent part of the Xaymaca blend and may be replaced with another marque (or marques) at some point."

It hasn't appeared on the Plantation website yet, but with the negative attention lately on age statements, I would expect Plantation to just promote this as a young, blended, pure pot-stilled Jamaican rum and let the taste speak for itself. Now I really can't wait to try it!

Quote:

On 2018-07-12 12:02, mikehooker wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-06-24 17:18, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

I had the opportunity to sample Xaymaca the other night at Lei Low. Alexandre Gabriel was in town for Mai Tai Tuesday and Lei Low was making the classic Vic recipe with various Plantation expressions. To my delight, there was a partial bottle of Xaymaca on hand (the X is pronounced like a Z - if I recall correctly, it's phonetically Zai - Mah - Ka. Or maybe it was Zay - Mah - Ka). This wasn't part of the rum list for the Mai Tai's they were serving cuz there was so little available.

I received a small pour and my eyes lit up. THIS is what I've been waiting for. No, it's not going to be a 1:1 Kohala Bay sub (it doesn't have the proof or funk), but it's full bodied and flavorful. Bottled at 43%, it's extremely approachable (I immediately asked for a second pour cuz the first went down real quick). It doesn't have the burn of Smith & Cross cuz the lower ABV, but it also wasn't as bold and funky as Hamilton pot still. It's just a perfectly balanced rum. I'm curious (and forgot to ask) how long the rums in this blend were aged cuz it's shockingly mellow yet very flavorful.

My invalidated impression is that this is what rum USED to taste like decades ago, before column still became the norm and bold flavors were essentially eradicated. I don't imagine this has near the aging of the old J. Wray 17 or 15 year rums Vic used in the '40s to make his original Mai Tai, but perhaps this is more in the ballpark of the flavor profile of those rums than others on the market today. The home blends that everyone is doing now (and even products like Denizen) are mimicking the later iterations that Vic had to employ when the aged Jamaican rum supply ran out. The original Mai Tai relied solely on one spectacular rum. With this in mind, I pleaded for a 2 oz pour of Xaymaca in a Mai Tai, to which the Plantation rep in charge of the bottle obliged. It was FANTASTIC! Later in the night when the crowd had dispersed and the bottle remained with just a couple ounces left and no one there demonstrating any interest, I asked if they could do me another Mai Tai. So grateful they allowed it. Truly divine.

My takeaway. This is a delicious rum than can be sipped and will make an incredible mixer. I imagine a blend with Smith and Cross will produce a suitable Kohala Bay sub. I can't wait to get some bottles and start playing with it. It comes to Texas in September. Not sure about the rest of the country.

Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-07-17 9:32 pm   Permalink

Hawkfan22, that's very interesting. My best guess is that it's an earlier version of what later became Appleton's standard gold mixing rum, aka Appleton Special. It was recently re-branded as "J Wray Gold", but it's essentially the same rum.

Quote:

On 2018-07-12 23:34, Hawkfan22 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I came across this bottle a while back and have been trying to figure out how old it is. After seeing a similar bottle that is part of Stephen Remsberg’s collection on the 2nd page of this thread I was hoping someone could tell me more about it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-07-18 9:00 pm   Permalink

I kick myself for missing this ...

According to an official statement by Plantation, "The Collector" Jamaican Rum is a blend of very old and rare rums distilled in 1996 (ITP mark) and 2000 (CRV and ITP marks) in a combination of Blair column and John Dore pot stills from Long Pond Distillery. The rum was aged in Jamaica for 17 years in bourbon casks and 1 more year in Ferrand casks in France. Presented at 43% ABV, only 999 bottles of “The Collector” will be released in the U.S. and Europe.

The full story from Cocktail Wonk:
http://cocktailwonk.com/2018/07/plantation-honors-legendary-rum-collector.html

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-07-24 18:05 ]

Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2018-07-24 6:05 pm   Permalink

Drunken Tiki weighs in on Kohala Bay ...
http://drunkentiki.com/2018/07/24/kohala-bay/

On a related note, Appleton senior blender David Morrison will be at The Mai-Kai on Aug. 1 for a special a meet-and-greet and exclusive rum tasting. I'll be in attendance and hope to ask him about a certain "lost rum."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation