FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-27 05:48 am   Permalink

Be happy you can get this rum at all! Outside of a vacation to Florida, is there no other way to get ones hands on Kohala Bay?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-27 7:50 pm   Permalink

Gentle hangman I am going to shamelessly steal that pic and make up my own little posters. I've got three different liquor stores looking for rum for me over here on the west coast of FL

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-24 03:20 am   Permalink

Oh how i just love how passionate and dedicated all rum lovers are when it comes to find certain rums...)

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-24 08:40 am   Permalink

stormrider: Be my guest. It worked for me (for the most part) and I hope you have success with it.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 5:54 pm   Permalink

picked up a bottle of Kohala Bay.

so far, it underwhelms when taken neat.

has anybody compiled a list yet of cocktails that call for the Kohala Bay?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 7:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-29 17:54, thePorpoise wrote:
picked up a bottle of Kohala Bay.

so far, it underwhelms when taken neat.

has anybody compiled a list yet of cocktails that call for the Kohala Bay?

Hurricane Hayward has done a great job on his Atomic Grog site of sleuthing out the Mai-Kai cocktails that likely include Kohala Bay. Make sure to try it in a rum combo in a Grog Log style Hurricane. I like the Kohala along with Rhum Negrita in those.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 8:51 pm   Permalink

put it in a grog log style hurricane- not for me (i dont like that styl hurricane anyhow; maybe somebody started out w/lemon, but it aint a hurricane today.)

ah-- but i followed my own hurricane template with the Kohala Bay- twas outstanding!

--4 oz KB, 3 oz goya maricuya coctel, 1/2 oz lime, 2 t grenadine, 2 t raw agave nectre.

and it totally vibed the oft-noted-by-heyward-in-maikai-drinks cinnamon notes.

yes, yes, this i could frequent wit da Kohala Bay...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-30 03:58 am   Permalink

The Gog Log version is a starting template for me as well, but I do stick with lemon over lime, and with passionfruit syrup rather than nectar. The iteration I am partial to at the moment calls for Grog Log proportions and 3 oz. Rhum Negrita and 1 oz. ED 5, with 1/4 oz each of simple and pomegranate grenadine added to balance that 2 oz. citrus slug a bit.

As for what makes a modern Hurricane, I refuse to let Pat O'briens be the arbiter here with how far that neon chemical mess has diverged from the original drink.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-28 11:36 pm   Permalink

Here's a list of the Mai-Kai cocktails that feature Kohala Bay ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

It's worth noting that they're mainly strong drinks, and that many now also include Lemon Hart. These rums work incredibly well together and help provide that distinctive Mai-Kai flavor profile. It's scary to think how good these were back in the days when the original Dagger was available.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-14 9:08 pm   Permalink

i made a post about this a few weeks ago but you can get kohala bay right here..by the case if you wish

http://tinyurl.com/kohalabay

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2013-12-14 21:10 ]

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-20 10:55 pm   Permalink

That's good to hear. All you non-Floridians, looks like you can order online. I'll have to check out that store next time I'm down in Miami. Based on the photo, it sure bears a striking resemblance to my home bar. Actually, I don't really mind. It's just kind of amusing.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

seriously? that's wild. a little copyright infringement eh.

stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-29 4:19 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know of a liquor store in west palm that carries Kohala bay? I am over in WPB quite a bit more than Miami. I still haven't found anyone in ft myers that can order it.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-29 4:31 pm   Permalink

Any Total Wine & Spirits will be glad to order it for you. They were the first ones to get it for me, but now a Star Liquors III keeps it in stock for me and they are literally around the corner from me. There are several Star Liquors in the West Palm area. . . check with them too.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gil-in-Oakland

Posted: 2014-07-15 10:03 pm   Permalink

Kohala Bay Dark rum looks to be available online in handles.

http://www.sunsetcorners.com/browse.cfm/kohala-bay-rum-1.75/4,8627.html

View Profile of Gil-in-Oakland Send a personal message to Gil-in-Oakland  Goto the website of Gil-in-Oakland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation