FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Kohala Bay Rum
LeftarmofBuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-05 18:59, lll888 wrote:
Really loving this mix:

5 parts Appleton reserve
1.5 Part Hamilton Black
1 part OFTD

The best damn mixing rum I've ever had!

Hey,111888! Have you had Kohala Bay rum? I'm just curious if you are actually comparing it directly or mixing blindly based on suggestions the way I am. I am using a similar mix of either appleton reserve or coruba, hamilton psb, and plantation OFTD in similar proportions and I agree that it is hard to beat as a funky and flavorful Jamaican mixing rum.

View Profile of LeftarmofBuddha Send a personal message to LeftarmofBuddha  Email LeftarmofBuddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 6:37 pm   Permalink

Wow, a lot of you guys have been busy! I admire the tinkering. I may need to update my suggested substitutions, but have not had time to try any of your blends. And, sadly, I've still not been able to find Hamilton Black Pot Still in South Florida. Jokeiii, where do you get it?

Congrats to Quince_at_Dannys, lll888, Scaramouch, jokeiii and CincyTikiCraig for all their fine work. I'll be trying some of those out when I get a chance.

My new suggestion is a blend using the new Plantation Dark, which is heavy on the Jamaican funk. Has anyone paired this with OFTD? A 3:1 blend would yield something around 94 proof, which is close to Dagger's 97. To get it down to Kohala Bay level, it would need to be a 6:1 mix. This might not be dark or punchy enough.

Let me know if anyone tries this, or any other blends with OFTD. I think this may be the way to go rather than using a 151 Demerara to bring up the proof.

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-03-18 23:43 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 7:55 pm   Permalink

I've just thrown a hand grenadine into the KB subs mixture. More to follow:

"Ho boy! Here is a "hogo" opening nose that's funky, grassy, earthy, woodsy, salty, resiny, yet sumptuously appealing; hogo, old closed room funk continuous deep into the second nosing passes. "Entry is deeply flavorful, keenly bittersweet, slightly smoky, tobacco-like, resiny/woody; mid-palate features a highly complex and concentrated molasses rum bearing that 's simultaneously graceful and rustic and it's this fragile balance between opposites that makes this rum exceptional. Admittedly, with this level of "hogo", it's not for everyone. I however, relish and admire this type of regional authencity.

Alc./Vol. : 42%
Origin : Jamaica
Raw material : Molasses
Fermentation : Plummer: 5 days, Wedderburn: 5 days, high esters: 2 weeks
Distillation : 2001, pot still
Tropical ageing : 11 years in Bourbon cask, Jamaica
Continental ageing, elevage : 2 years in Pierre Ferrand cask, Château de Bonbonnet, France."

https://www.plantationrum.com/plantation-jamaica-2001/

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 9:13 pm   Permalink

Yes, the Jamaica 2001 is legendary. I've sampled it at Miami Rum Fest, but it's not easy to come by (and quite pricey).

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 7:32 pm   Permalink

I'm playing with the Plantation as part of a blend. At ot's price a relatively small part of the blend (something like 1 part).

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:33 pm   Permalink

I just sampled the Plantation 2001 Jamaican rum, repeatedly, and honestly can't comprehend why it would even be brought into this discussion. For a pot still Jamaican it's very mild in flavor, more suitable as a sipper, and at just over 40% abv doesn't pack the necessary punch to be in contention as a Kohala Bay sub. Plus at the $40-ish price point doesn't seem in any possible way worth blending with multiple other rums to then be blended with multiple other ingredients to make a well balanced cocktail. Buy this rum. Sip it. Enjoy it. Maybe even make a Mai Tai with it. But by golly don't tarnish it by mixing it with other rums in an attempt to replicate kohala bay.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2017-03-21 23:36 ]

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 6 days ago; 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-18 18:37, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Let me know if anyone tries this, or any other blends with OFTD. I think this may be the way to go rather than using a 151 Demerara to bring up the proof.

I did try the OFTD in several combinations as part of my own KB blend experiments, but in blind taste tests 5XCoruba, 1xS&C, 1xLH151 was still the closest match to KB I've found so far, especially if you go the extra step and barrel age the blend for awhile. (For the record, I played with Coruba, Myers, Hamilton (Navy, Overproof & Black), LH151, OFTD, S&C in various ratios and combinations.)

OFTD is really fantastic - such great value - and I've been using it in Demerara Dry Floats, Swizzles and even as my Jamaican Mai Tai rum (wowza!). But my experience was that using it in a blend that tried to match KB was not as successful, it just threw the flavor off.

Of course, your results may vary

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-21 23:33, mikehooker wrote:
I just sampled the Plantation 2001 Jamaican rum, repeatedly, and honestly can't comprehend why it would even be brought into this discussion. For a pot still Jamaican it's very mild in flavor, more suitable as a sipper, and at just over 40% abv doesn't pack the necessary punch to be in contention as a Kohala Bay sub. Plus at the $40-ish price point doesn't seem in any possible way worth blending with multiple other rums to then be blended with multiple other ingredients to make a well balanced cocktail. Buy this rum. Sip it. Enjoy it. Maybe even make a Mai Tai with it. But by golly don't tarnish it by mixing it with other rums in an attempt to replicate kohala bay.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2017-03-21 23:36 ]

To each their own. As to cost of the Plantation Jamaican, I manage a large wine and spirits store and get everything at cost. I've made a Mai Tai with the Plantation Jamaican and it's just not deep enough to shine in that drink. Tonight I made a mix of 5 parts Appleton Reserve: 1 part each OFTD, Hamilton Dark, Plantation Jamaican and Coruba. I'll let you know how it works in a few cocktails shortly.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-18 18:37, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
And, sadly, I've still not been able to find Hamilton Black Pot Still in South Florida. Jokeiii, where do you get it?

Sorry for the delay, HH! Sunset Corners in Miami, ironically the last place I could get Kohala Bay. It's currently at $34.
http://www.sunsetcorners.com/browse.cfm/hamilton-jamaican-blk-rum/4,9828.html

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 7:15 pm   Permalink

I've made two rounds each of the Yeomans Grog and HH's tribute to the Black Magic, and they've been the BEST versions of those cocktails that I've ever made. This mixing rum is funky but with refinement and depth.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation