FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Kohala Bay Rum
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-18 12:03 am   Permalink

The latest word from The Mai-Kai: Owner Dave Levy has been told that the outage is temporary, but still no ETA on its return. Unfortunately, they have not been able to find a decent substitute in their many cocktails that depend on Kohala Bay's funky flavor, so they're exploring other options. Rum experts are being consulted, and the possibility of a proprietary blend is being explored. Stay tuned for more info.

In the meantime, I've updated the blog with tasting notes on all the possible substitutes for home mixologists, including single rums and multi-rum blends:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#dagger

If you're visiting The Mai-Kai in the near future, check out the "Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog" thread for further tasting notes on all the Kohala Bay cocktails in their current state:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=195

Also worth noting: Kohala Bay appears in Martin Cate's new book, "Smuggler's Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum and the Cult of Tiki," as one of the nine recommended "black blended" rums. Highly recommended reading.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-18 05:56 am   Permalink

Thanks for the research as always Hurricane! Always something with these rums; the Mai Kai should have their own brand, like Vic's but good.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-18 10:44 am   Permalink

Not sure how I missed the Dagger radio ad on that page.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Dagger_ad.mp3

Truly aweome!

When's 151 Swizzle v.5 gonna be posted?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-19 5:31 pm   Permalink

I'm playing around with 3:1 Coruba to Gosling's 151 blend, to see how that stacks up against KB. Reports to follow...

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-17 10:50 am   Permalink

Still no updates on the Kohala Bay outage. It still may come back, The Mai-Kai's manager, Kern Mattei, confirmed last night, but in the meantime they have finally been able to get Coruba from their distributor. They hope to begin using it soon in all the cocktails that call for Kohala Bay.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-07-21 1:42 pm   Permalink

Coruba as a direct replacement for Kohala Bay? I don't see that working out too well. It doesn't have the punch or the funk. I recently made Atomic Grog tribute Swizzles using a 50/50 El Dorado and Smith & Cross combo. Gotta say, they came out excellent. Haven't tried it in any other recipes that call for KB yet but if that does the trick and KB doesn't come back soon I might end up just batching those two rums together so I could start enjoying all my favorite Mai Kai tributes I've been neglecting the past couple months.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-21 2:50 pm   Permalink

I've been working on a new blend that utilizes a combination Coruba, Appleton Signature Blend, and a small amount of Hamilton Black Pot Still Rum. The Black Pot Still brings just enough funkiness to the mix and increases the ABV, while the Appleton adds mellowness and some tenor notes missing from the other two rums. The stuff I've made thus far is actually too flavorful--like Kohala Bay on steroids. Not necessarily a bad problem to have.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-21 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-21 13:42, mikehooker wrote:
I recently made Atomic Grog tribute Swizzles using a 50/50 El Dorado and Smith & Cross combo. Gotta say, they came out excellent.

Mike, that combo is right up my alley - what age El Dorado were you using? They're all so distinct.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-07-21 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-21 16:47, HopeChest wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-07-21 13:42, mikehooker wrote:
I recently made Atomic Grog tribute Swizzles using a 50/50 El Dorado and Smith & Cross combo. Gotta say, they came out excellent.

Mike, that combo is right up my alley - what age El Dorado were you using? They're all so distinct.

12 year

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-24 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-21 14:50, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
I've been working on a new blend that utilizes a combination Coruba, Appleton Signature Blend, and a small amount of Hamilton Black Pot Still Rum. The Black Pot Still brings just enough funkiness to the mix and increases the ABV, while the Appleton adds mellowness and some tenor notes missing from the other two rums. The stuff I've made thus far is actually too flavorful--like Kohala Bay on steroids. Not necessarily a bad problem to have.

Quince, I would love to hear more about the blend that you are using. I've always thought that Ed Hamilton's Pot Still Jamaican would find a place in the Tiki lexicon, maybe that place is as part of a replacement for Kohala Bay.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 12:43 am   Permalink

The latest from The Ma-Kai: Frustrated with the Kohala Bay outage, which shows no signs of abating, The Mai-Kai has turned to Appleton Reserve Blend as a replacement. It's not as funky (or high proof), but it has a distinctive character and doesn't lack flavor. And, like Coruba (and Kohala Bay), it comes from the venerable Wray & Newphew.

Lots more research is needed, but preliminary tastings show that the Barrel O' Rum and a few other drinks (Bora Bora, Tiki Swizzle) seem to benefit from the more sophisticated and flavorful Reserve Blend. Some (Zombie, Yeoman's Grog) don't appear to be much different. And a few others (most notably the Black Magic) miss the funkiness of Kohala Bay.

The official blog of The Hukilau

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation