FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
Kohala Bay Rum
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-18 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-16 07:53, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
Wow! I didnt even realize you were considering my blend in the shootout! That's awesome! My blend came about from trying to recreate the flavor of your #1 pick (smith and cross and el dorado 12) using slightly cheaper bottles that are readily available to me. Also, I did a bit of research into which rum you were saying would be a possible replacement for KB the other day and believe I know which one you tried. I will let you reveal that when you see fit. Thanks for considering my blend at all!

Your 4:2:1 is better than my 5:1:1 in that I can get Hamilton a LOT more easily than Coruba!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeftarmofBuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-18 9:09 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2017-05-18 06:13, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

Your 4:2:1 is better than my 5:1:1 in that I can get Hamilton a LOT more easily than Coruba!

Haha. I love the funkiness of Hamilton black and feel like it subs in well enough for the sophisticated but bold funk of Smith and Cross. As much as I love Coruba and use it all the time, it has a weird homogenized flavor thing going on, if that makes sense. I love the added funk it brings and the heavier dark molasses flavor. I agree with Hurricane's assessment that his #1 blend has more subtlety and depth of flavor compared to my blend. My blend is just currently easy to get in my town and the bottles are all bargains in terms of quality to price ratio. El Dorado 12 in my neck of the woods runs $37-45! Smith and Cross is a more reasonable $27, typically but I have to either drive 30 mins or special order both. No one currently stocks them in my town.

View Profile of LeftarmofBuddha Send a personal message to LeftarmofBuddha  Email LeftarmofBuddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-19 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-18 21:09, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:Haha. I love the funkiness of Hamilton black and feel like it subs in well enough for the sophisticated but bold funk of Smith and Cross. As much as I love Coruba and use it all the time, it has a weird homogenized flavor thing going on, if that makes sense. I love the added funk it brings and the heavier dark molasses flavor. I agree with Hurricane's assessment that his #1 blend has more subtlety and depth of flavor compared to my blend. My blend is just currently easy to get in my town and the bottles are all bargains in terms of quality to price ratio. El Dorado 12 in my neck of the woods runs $37-45! Smith and Cross is a more reasonable $27, typically but I have to either drive 30 mins or special order both. No one currently stocks them in my town.

I prefer the Coruba/HB/OFTD combination, frankly (at least for the recipes in my rotation...YMMV) and when you factor in the costs of S&C and ED12, even more so. Also, for MY purposes -- which aren't anyone else's -- having Coruba/HB/OFTD in my inventory gives me more flexibility.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-18 11:49 pm   Permalink

Has anyone experimented with Doctor Bird as a Kohala Bay replacement, either on its own or in a blend? I'm hearing great things, but unfortunately it hasn't made it to Florida yet.

Two James Doctor Bird Jamaica Rum Moscatel Cask Finish
100 proof

Brought in by the Two James Distillery in Detroit, this Worthy Park distillate is aged for 6+ years in Jamaica before being shipped to Michigan and filled into fresh Moscatel Sherry Casks. Full of estery goodness, the Moscatel cask round out those intense aromas. Bright fresh tropical fruit, hints of citrus, pineapple, passion fruit and rich caramel to balance. At 100 proof it stands up nicely in a drink, but has plenty of depth and character to sip straight or on the rocks.

Sounds delicious.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation