[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Reno Googie Motel Signs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Reno Googie Motel Signs
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 2:02 pm   Permalink

Lucky enough to spend a few days in Reno for my kids volleyball tournament. Record high temps everyday at 104 to 106. Braved the streets one day to shoot some of the great old Googie motel signs. Many of these will be gone soon.

The 7/11

The Horse Shoe

A few from the Keno.

The City Center next door.

The Ace.

The Capri

One of my favorites, the Coed Lodge.

The Donner Inn.

The Castaway Inn (Tiki?)

The Flamingo.

The Fireside Inn.

The El Ray - on its way out.

The Star of Reno next door.

These are ready for the dozer.

Heart of Town.

And the Golden West next door.

The In Town.

Another favorite, the Mardi Gras,

Silver Dollar.

Sands,

Stardust.

Star.

Thunderbird.

Reno Royal.

Reno Riviera.

Rancho Sierra,

Olympic.

Mystery - this one must have been cool.

Monte Carlo

Sundance,

Lido.

Coach Inn.

The Wonder Lodge.

Midtown Motel and Bar.

Time Zone

Townsite.

The Bonanza Inn.

The Carriage Inn.

The Crest Inn - which used to be The Tropics.

Gatekeeper Inn.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:10 pm   Permalink

So cool, thanks for taking the time to take pics and post.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:18 pm   Permalink

Awesome! But what's a Googie?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 20:18, TikiTacky wrote:
Awesome! But what's a Googie?

Googie architecture is a form of modern architecture, a subdivision of futurist architecture influenced by car culture, jets, the Space Age, and the Atomic Age

Originating in Southern California during the late 1940s and continuing approximately into the mid-1960s, Googie-themed architecture was popular among motels, coffee houses and gas stations. The school later became widely known as part of the Mid-Century modern style, elements of which represent the populuxe aesthetic,[attribution needed] as in Eero Saarinen's TWA Flight Center. The term "Googie" comes from a now defunct coffee shop and cafe built in West Hollywood.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 04:42 am   Permalink

Great pics DC. Thanks for all of the legwork. It's great to see so many vintage signs. I have seen many of the survivors here in Kzoo fall to the wreaking ball as of late. One that was saved was the Douglas Drive In sign. The sign is now in the Henry Ford museum. I had been to that drive in before it was closed a few times. Here's a pic of the sign and thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 5:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, it was a fun searching for the signs. Many of the motels are now "affordable housing" and a bit sketch.

How about a Googie wedding chapel

And the Gold N Silver Inn restaurant while we are at it.

I had breakfast and lunch here. Featured on Drive-Ins, Dinners and Dives. Open 24/7 for 57 years!

DC

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-06 5:26 pm   Permalink

My wife married her first husband at Chapel of the Bells. Ah, the young and naive.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 10:04 pm   Permalink

Great collection of signage, DC. Now that's how I remember Reno! Good to see so much of it is left.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-06 10:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for that enjoyable signage drive-by.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 08:16 am   Permalink

WOW! Just....wow! I love it!!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 10:20 am   Permalink

Love it, Dusty!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 12:22 pm   Permalink

Great stuff!

Thanks for posting.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 06:55 am   Permalink

And where are all the night shots??? Want.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-08 10:03 am   Permalink

Thanks DC, great stuff! That can be a lot of work gathering pics like that, not to mention the strange looks people give you.

For me, when I've taken pics like that, there's a feeling like time is standing still. There might be some rust and decay, but somehow with the atmosphere of these artifacts and the apparent attitudes of people who are around them on a daily basis, it just feels like everything's kinda frozen in time. But then when you come back at some later time and see changes, it feels like the previous impression was actually just a deception, and in fact you captured something that is already beyond reach.

Dunno if that'll all make sense to anyone, but anyway that's the feeling that these kind of pictures remind me of. Makes me want to go take pics, even of local stuff around our own neighborhood that's been on the list for a while. Not too long ago, a local bar that I pass every day driving to work was doing an exterior renovation. They removed something that had been blocking a wall with a great giant mural of a cocktail. It was the kind of thing you'd never see nowadays, and it was also cool to see the signs of age on it too. I decided I'd go back to take pictures on the weekend. When I drove up on Saturday morning, they were painting over it, literally covering the last corner as I jumped out of my car. Sometimes you just can't beat "progress," but it's nice when you can capture some of the "before" anyway.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 6:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 06:55, Swanky wrote:
And where are all the night shots??? Want.

Swanky,

Did not venture into these areas at night. Many of the signs appeared to be non-operational at this stage. But I did find some some night shots online.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation