[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Popoki Lounge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Popoki Lounge
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 1:01 pm   Permalink

After a few years of having an outdoor, 2 season tiki patio on the roof of our old (small) sunroom, TikiKitty and I have decided that the cold, Ohio winters are no fun! We have been very busy building an addition to our house for the past few months to hold our own full blown tiki bar. The Popoki Lounge. (Hawaiian for cat...you'll see why) This has been about a year or more in the planning. As anyone from the northeast can tell you, there ain't much tiki to be had around these parts and the cold, snowy winters make outdoor spaces not very practical!!! We've decided to bring it inside. We hired a contractor to do the shell of the addition, electrical and underground ductwork. Then, we took over for the "Tiki-fying" of the place. It's about 20'x14". It's still a work in progress, but what tiki bar is ever completely done? I'll start with some early construction pics.

The old sunroom with former rooftop tiki patio right before demo

While waiting for construction, we had the Saddest Tiki Party Ever.... (I think it was about 45 degrees that night)

Foundation wall for new addition. Mugs need a home!

Who knew a tiki bar comes in such a small bundle?!?!?

Wall framing done...cats approve, I think.

Drywall up, doors and windows too

Here's where I'll cut it and start a new post with the interior decorations.

Mahalo everyone!

[ This Message was edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Masher88 2013-07-07 13:09 ]

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 1:29 pm   Permalink

So, after the original shell construction phase (which only took about 5-6 weeks thanks to our awesome builder)...onto the Polynesian Bar Phase.

Painted all the walls brown. Reed and matting tend to show through if stark white is behind it.

Started putting up lauhala matting. It's a pain to work with. It came in rolls that wanted to roll back up like when bugs bunny tries to unroll blueprints! I used contact cement and staples.

Reed fencing for the bottom. Staples through the wiring holds it on the wall pretty well.

Finished "accent" tapa wall with burnt 1/2 round bamboo installed. You can also see the routed and stained baseboardtrim I did all around the room

Bar framing..I had no idea what to do!! It's a full wet bar with a small sink near the wall return...which I haven't ran water lines to yet.

1/2" Plywood for the front and 3/4" for the top. Now, It looks like a bar!

Framing the thatched roof overhang above the bar. Very tricky.

So, that about does it for the construction phase. I have tons more pics of construction, but that isn't why we are all here! I'll start a new post with the Tiki-fied room!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 1:44 pm   Permalink

Here's where years of accumulating stuff gets a home. I don't have many night time mood lighting shots...they look terrible on my phone camera. I'll have to wait til someone with a "real" camera comes for a drink!! Besides, we are still working out the lighting.

Waterfall and puffer fish lamp

behind the bar

another behind the bar shot

Don't forget to tip your bartender!!

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 2:34 pm   Permalink

Wow, that looks great. Congratulations on the new tiki bar.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 14:34, GROG wrote:
Wow, that looks great. Congratulations on the new tiki bar.

Thank you! We have yet to officially christen the bar with a party. Too much work makes Masher a dull tiki....

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 4:40 pm   Permalink

Looking great, Masher!

An indoor space is a great idea in Ohio! It would be a great idea here in NJ but we make due with our outdoor bar & hut.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 5:18 pm   Permalink

Awesome job! That is going to be a great space.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 5:36 pm   Permalink

That looks great. I have that same leopard print throughout my house...love it. You did a great job with the walls and ceiling.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 6:11 pm   Permalink

Mahalo all! I'm writing this while sipping a cocktail at our bar. I'm having trouble with lighting the mugs on the shelving behind the bar. I'm not sure what to go with. Those tiny LED strip lights are like $70! The frugal part of me screams "hell no!" with that price. Any suggestions or bite the bullet and get the strip lights

El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 18:11, Masher88 wrote:
Mahalo all! I'm writing this while sipping a cocktail at our bar. I'm having trouble with lighting the mugs on the shelving behind the bar. I'm not sure what to go with. Those tiny LED strip lights are like $70! The frugal part of me screams "hell no!" with that price. Any suggestions or bite the bullet and get the strip lights

Check Ikea. These might work?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192073/

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 7:10 pm   Permalink

LOL! Those pre-construction party shots are hilarious!!

Great job on the room, no more long faces I trust?

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRetardo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 7:19 pm   Permalink

Fantastic job !!

View Profile of TikiRetardo Send a personal message to TikiRetardo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-07 7:27 pm   Permalink

Good work all round. Glad the cats approve. Does the bar have a name - I know your post indicates that but were you going to have that displayed (unless I missed it)?

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-07 19:29 ]

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 11:21 pm   Permalink

Killer job M88!
Cheers, David, La Mirada,Ca

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-08 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 19:27, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Good work all round. Glad the cats approve. Does the bar have a name - I know your post indicates that but were you going to have that displayed (unless I missed it)?

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-07 19:29 ]

Hi! This is Tiki-Kitty (Mrs Masher). The bar is named The Popoki Lounge. We do have a sign for it (will post a picture soon). We are trying to figure out a good way to light is without making it look like an 'Eat At Joe's' kinda thing. We will probably go with a well hidden spot light.
Mahalo!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation