FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Popoki Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Popoki Lounge
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-08 06:51 am   Permalink

Aloha! This is Tiki-Kitty (aka Mrs Masher). Here is a shot of the bar (with well deserved cocktail). I am the one responsible to decorating that area (I am a bartender in the outside world, too). I still have a LOT of work to do behind the bar and look forward to sharing those pictures with all of you!
Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-kitty 2013-07-08 06:52 ]

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
porco
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-08 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-07 18:11, Masher88 wrote:
Mahalo all! I'm writing this while sipping a cocktail at our bar. I'm having trouble with lighting the mugs on the shelving behind the bar. I'm not sure what to go with. Those tiny LED strip lights are like $70! The frugal part of me screams "hell no!" with that price. Any suggestions or bite the bullet and get the strip lights

i saw in another thread where someone used christmas lights to light up a mug collection...can't seem to find it now, but it looked great. i have a pretty good stash of clear, c9 strings if you're interested (and i'm in cleveland as well).
your room looks fantastic, great work and use of materials!

[ This Message was edited by: porco 2013-07-08 09:00 ]

View Profile of porco Send a personal message to porco  Goto the website of porco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 2:35 pm   Permalink

I like the way the spotted cat wall works behind the bar- NICE !!!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 3:56 pm   Permalink

I use these on my mug shelves and they work pretty well, plus they don't need an electrical outlet and are pretty affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Lights-Operated-Silver-Wire/dp/B004DZI1J0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373324024&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+operated+led+light

Great build out BTW. Really nice space.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-09 1:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the lighting ideas. I'll have to try out the X-mas lights. I'm pretty sure we have some in the attic or something!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-11 06:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 15:56, SoCal Savage wrote:
I use these on my mug shelves and they work pretty well, plus they don't need an electrical outlet and are pretty affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Lights-Operated-Silver-Wire/dp/B004DZI1J0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1373324024&sr=8-11&keywords=battery+operated+led+light

These look like a great option! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-11 06:26, Tiki-kitty wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-07-08 15:56, SoCal Savage wrote:

These look like a great option! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

My pleasure. I'll have to get pics of my bar/lounge up here one of these days.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 8:02 pm   Permalink

Nice work! We found the LED strip lighting on Amazon for only $40. It's not very long, but it changes colors and has a remote control!

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2013-07-11 20:02 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-13 9:55 pm   Permalink

I finally figured out the lights. I used a 2x4 and a 1x4 and made a sort of valence. Then took scraps of bamboo slats and stapled them to the front of it. Then I bought under cabinet puck lights and used DJ light gels to change the bright white colors.
Sorry for the cell phone pic, it's all I can do now.

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-14 4:54 pm   Permalink

It looks great, you did a good job with the lighting. I love the bamboo grid on your ceiling, I want that for mine eventually...it looks great!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-15 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-14 16:54, VampiressRN wrote:
It looks great, you did a good job with the lighting. I love the bamboo grid on your ceiling, I want that for mine eventually...it looks great!!!

Thanks! Lashing all the bamboo crossings with jute is taking forever! I do about 3 or so a day. Almost done, but I ran out of rope. I screwed the 1" poles to the ceiling making sure to hit studs going perpendicular to the way the studs run.. I used a nut that I painted black between the ceiling and the bamboo as a spacer (screw running through it) so the bamboo wouldn't be flat against the ceiling. Always predrill bamboo!! This way I can tie rope around it. Then I tied crossing 2" and 1" bamboo perpendicular to the first bamboo using tie wire for strength. Then I went back and did the lashing. This way, I can hang stuff off the bamboo without worrying that the rope won't hold and I won't have to try to use drywall anchors everywhere I want to put a light or whatever

Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 06:51 am   Permalink

More pictures of the Popoki Lounge. I managed to get some Hello Kitty in there! Masher is thrilled

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-26 2:47 pm   Permalink

I love the 3rd photo down on pg 2. I'm into natural colors and that tiki in the corner photo has a great brown/tan palette. Color lights are for night or a windowless lounge which you also incorporated nicely. Of course I dig the Debra Paget in a sarong framed colored still. From Fox's 1951 BIRD OF PARADISE. We are all waiting for an official DVD or Blu-ray release. Great movie. Great room Masher & Tiki kitty.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-07-26 14:49 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-27 07:02 am   Permalink

Thanks CreativeNative! Yeah, we have large un-windowed wall that we light up with different colors to show off masks and other things. Here's a pic of the coloring on the "big guy" tiki. The grain of the wood is unique. I should polish him up to make it stand out better.

Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-14 7:59 pm   Permalink

This is Stringbean- one of our Popoki who doesn't mind wearing a lei!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation