FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Metal Flake, Glitter and Metalic paint
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Metal Flake, Glitter and Metalic paint
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 9:12 pm   Permalink

like any good debate, this one has inspired me. Whereas it may inspire others to criticize, it has inspired me to create. You choose which is the nobler calling. So I made this. I mean, its in a frame and everything, so it HAS to be "art"... right? Although I did paint the frame metallic blue and it did do it over a gold metal flake background... so I guess some snobs wont call it "art"... but hey, thats OK too... actually, art is supposed to inspire and what it inspires is up to the viewer, so if it inspires hate and scorn in some, that must mean its doing its job and really is "ART" huh?

this is just the first of many. More colors, more designs to come. But for right now, there is rum to be drank and then I'm off to bed. More by the afternoon on Monday.

wait until you see it in the sunlight... the metal flake REALLY catches the light and makes the 'art' come alive.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-07 21:15 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-07 10:19 pm   Permalink

That would look awesome on a Tiki Lowrider

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 01:29 am   Permalink

So I am here to officially question your taste
but with out bad there is no good, so have at it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 05:54 am   Permalink

yeah we should stick to GOOD tiki art... like birds from south america singing in a german accent (the enchanted tiki room)... THAT is "good" tiki art!!!!

using paint with metal flake in it is right out.

you've got the aloha spirit!!! Put people down and drive them away... thats what this forum needs MORE of!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-08 06:24 ]

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 07:55 am   Permalink

Easy man. You seem to be getting more upset about this than anyone. Have a mai tai, relax.

Your reaction to go make glitter tiki art though? Fantastic. Really funny, actually.

Getting back to that other post, though I don't know how I feel about crossing threads (never cross the streams), I think that the general poor reaction to it was taking work that someone else did here on TC (Doug Horne for Smokintikis), and slathering it with glitter. Or the bad import masks (which have helped to dilute "tiki").

You wouldn't go to a place like the H.A.M.B. with an early 90's Ford converted to a 1950 with tons of billet and expect everyone to be happy about it would you? Or to the Jockey Journal with a Knucklehead that you threw Hayabusa tanks on. Do you think people there would be nice about either of those?

I rest my case.

(Side note, do you remember those? I can't find an example anywhere on the net, but I remember about 10 years ago you could buy the front and rear clips to a 1950 ford that were meant to be strapped onto a modern car. What the hell were those called?)

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 07:56 am   Permalink

Like this! But this was way better than any one I ever saw:

http://jordanmorningstarblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/johns-1990-identity-crisis-thunderbird/

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 7:05 pm   Permalink

Choptop ... I grew up in the 50s and 60s and was around what was tiki culture at that time. I think your glitter tiki is very retro and would have been a prized possession of any tiki decor lover back then. It is a super fun and clever. Keep the creativity and imagination going strong ..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:08 pm   Permalink

Still more comin...

Untitled by Choptop32, on Flickr

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:09 ]

Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:29 pm   Permalink

Van artwork by Jeff Alison, tiki's and metal flake added by me.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:08 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:37 pm   Permalink

Save the images and repost them if you can. I can't see the Flickr images.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:45 pm   Permalink

larger (8x10) version of the 2nd tiki done as just a knock out (no tinting). great metallic green color on the frame. One of my faves... will be using it again.

[ This Message was edited by: Choptop 2013-07-12 19:09 ]

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 6:58 pm   Permalink

I can't see the images either Choptop.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 7:10 pm   Permalink

there... that should do it.

Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 9:39 pm   Permalink

Bitchin' van.
Good choice, it fits the metal flake idea and gives off a strong Kustom vibe.

The idea's starting to grow on me because it's so over the top.

If you had some black 'flake, you might be able to get that crazy glow effect like they do on black velvet.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 10:00 pm   Permalink

got black flake... would have to do a different process though. Thinking some bright pink over the black. I've got a pic of some white pinstriping in a green frame over black flake... will have to post that up.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation