FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events New Tiki Place Opening in Hermosa Beach
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New Tiki Place Opening in Hermosa Beach
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-08 6:36 pm   Permalink

The former La Campana Restaurant on Hermosa Avenue has closed, to be replaced in July by Banzai Beach Tiki Lounge. Though it won't open until late July, I have been inside - though it is still under construction, they seem to be going all out on the tiki theme. The name is weird, though - there used to be a Japanese restaurant by that name here, and they have reused the name even though the menu and decor are completely different. I will report on it as soon as it is open.

View Profile of RumFicionado Send a personal message to RumFicionado  Email RumFicionado Goto the website of RumFicionado     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 9:15 pm   Permalink

Cool . I will be looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Onyx_Noir
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-09 3:03 pm   Permalink

Hey, that's right down the street from my tattoo artist. Can't wait until it opens

View Profile of Onyx_Noir Send a personal message to Onyx_Noir  Email Onyx_Noir     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 10:54 pm   Permalink

Who's doing the decor??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-09 11:40 pm   Permalink

I don't know who is doing the interior, but will find out.

View Profile of RumFicionado Send a personal message to RumFicionado  Email RumFicionado Goto the website of RumFicionado     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-10 11:12 am   Permalink

Looks like the beginnings of a website.
http://banzaihb.com/

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-08 18:36, RumFicionado wrote:
The former La Campana Restaurant on Hermosa Avenue has closed, to be replaced in July by Banzai Beach Tiki Lounge. Though it won't open until late July, I have been inside - though it is still under construction, they seem to be going all out on the tiki theme. The name is weird, though - there used to be a Japanese restaurant by that name here, and they have reused the name even though the menu and decor are completely different. I will report on it as soon as it is open.

Nice way to jump on board.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-11 5:35 pm   Permalink

Update: I went there this afternoon to see if I could get a look during construction, and it turned out that they are soft opening tonight. The interior was designed by the owner, who is a tiki fan but never designed a place of this genre before - it is a well-integrated and restrained combination of 50's modern and tiki at the bar and main dining area, with a separate and more sparsely decorated room that is that is used for Japanese teppanyaki grilling. For another cross-cultural twist, the chef also likes to make Italian food, so if you want crab Rangoon, Japanese noodles, and lasagna, with mai tais on the side, this is the place to go. I'll try to get there for dinner and drinks soon and will report on the experience.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 6:01 pm   Permalink

Sounds promising, but I wish these outside jobs would get us involved
so we can make their lives a living Tiki Hell!

And Ben does MCM & Tiki too! & we can't loose him to the Islands....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-11 18:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Sounds promising, but I wish these outside jobs would get us involved
so we can make their lives a living Tiki Hell!

And Ben does MCM & Tiki too! & we can't loose him to the Islands....

And.... Asian style too!

Art Snyder's Meditation Gardens. RIP ART!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ho-Tep-Nefti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-15 09:38 am   Permalink

I did a recon trip down there yesterday afternoon...it opens at 5:00PM. They have limited underground parking, just north of the building...which is located on the east side of the street. There is also a PAY TO USE public parking lot, just south of Pier Avenue, on the West side of the street...about a short block north of the lounge.

[ This Message was edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-07-29 08:02 ]

View Profile of Ho-Tep-Nefti Send a personal message to Ho-Tep-Nefti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-15 09:50 am   Permalink

I stopped in on Friday night and they were open but the place was quiet - they have done no advertising out of concern for a rush before bartenders and staff are ready. I got a picture with my camera, and include it even though it isn't great. I don't know whether it's still a work in progress of if they're going to keep embellishing the place.
No report on the cocktails yet; I would have stopped for a drink but had someone waiting in the car.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 10:52 am   Permalink

Flat Screen TVs, nooooooooooo!

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-15 11:15 am   Permalink

Yes, I didn't like the TVs either.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 09:21 am   Permalink

Any updates?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation