FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events New Tiki Place Opening in Hermosa Beach
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New Tiki Place Opening in Hermosa Beach
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 10:07 am   Permalink

Gonna check it out this afternoon-full report in the morning. Got bumped out of yesterdays planned visit to Ventiki by bad weather-not gonna happen today!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
voltiki-tomic

Posted: 2013-07-23 5:21 pm   Permalink

Anyone know if the drinks are any good here?

View Profile of voltiki-tomic Send a personal message to voltiki-tomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 11:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-23 10:07, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Gonna check it out this afternoon-full report in the morning. Got bumped out of yesterdays planned visit to Ventiki by bad weather-not gonna happen today!
Cheers

Oh no! got bumped again! They're closed on Tuesdays.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ho-Tep-Nefti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-25 08:23 am   Permalink

Update on Banzai Beach & Tiki Lounge in Hermosa Beach. They ARE open, but MAY be having their GRAND OPENING this Friday night, July 26, 2013 at 5:30. CALL TO CONFIRM. The subterranean parking lot was closed, so we parked in the Public Parking lot half a block North from Banzai, on the West side of the street. We each had a Mai Tai, which was very good. We ordered dinner in the Teppan Grill room, where Chef Ricky created Teriyaki Steak, and chicken, with a shrimp appetizer. Each meal came with the shrimp appetizer, a bowl of soup, island-influenced salad, and rice. Everything was fresh and delicious! Chef Ricky created an onion volcano for us, during the preparation of the vegetables. Everyone there was friendly, and helpful. DEFINITELY WILL GO BACK!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-07-29 08:03 ]

View Profile of Ho-Tep-Nefti Send a personal message to Ho-Tep-Nefti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 11:59 pm   Permalink

Got there about 830 this evening. Staff was very friendly and they very much want to be a "tiki bar". I like to be upbeat and look on the bright side of everything. They have an ambitious drink menu,(painkiller,mai tai, navy grog,etc., the usual suspects) but don't know how to craft them. I don't mean they make bad drinks- I mean they do not have the recipes for them. However they seemed sincere in their eagerness to learn how to make proper "tiki" bevs and also seemed very interested in 'tiki culture". John-O clued them in to the "Beach Bums books-We'll see what happens. The dinner menu also looked good but we arrived well fed so we did not order any grinds. The decor was tiki light although I really liked the black and Burgundy leatherette booths we were seated at. Right now this place is a typical California beach bar with a
"tiki"theme.
Hopefully John-O will chime in with his thoughts on this locale.We both ordered a navy grog which the staff gladly took back when they noticed our displeasure with a very undrinkable version of this classic tiki drink. My wife had a Mai Tai which she said was okay.
We can only wish them well,I clued them in to Tiki Central, again, we'll see what happens. Dems som nice folks ova der!
Banzai Beach Teppan Grill and Tiki Lounge, 934 Hermosa Ave., #7, upstairs
Open 5pm, closed Tuesday, Happy hour ,5-6 pm.
Grand Opening this Saturday, 1$ beer and dancers 310 374-3747

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-07-26 00:02 ]

Ho-Tep-Nefti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-26 08:58 am   Permalink

Maybe if they hear about Tiki Central enough from everyone, it will help. We told them about the site, the culture, and the anticipation here, about them opening...and how some locations bring in some of the Tiki Central mixologists for Tiki nights. They seemed to like that idea...hopefully the owner will follow up on that.

[ This Message was edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-07-30 07:39 ]

View Profile of Ho-Tep-Nefti Send a personal message to Ho-Tep-Nefti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumFicionado

Posted: 2013-07-26 9:56 pm   Permalink

Went there this evening and had a interesting evening - decent mai tai, very good teppanyaki dinner, but they don't know how to make a navy grog. They didn't charge me for the one I sent back, and their attitude is very good - eager to please and to figure out how to do this right. They have the Beachbum Berry book behind the bar and are trying to learn from it. I mentioned to the manager that the TV's showing sports are a buzzkill - hope others do so and maybe they will turn them off or put on something appropriate. Music is a mix of reggae, surf, and 90's pop - if they got the 90's stuff out and focused on island music it would be a good mix.

On the whole, worth visiting to support and give them advice on how to do this thing.

View Profile of RumFicionado Send a personal message to RumFicionado  Email RumFicionado Goto the website of RumFicionado     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation