FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Boo on the Salvation Army!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Boo on the Salvation Army!
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 6:16 pm   Permalink

I used to goto SA alot, before I discoverd other thrift shops in the area. I remember this Sa in particular had a "Grandma's Boutique" where all the "antiques" would wind up at higher prices. At the time I didn't care for many of the antiques, and just figured they did that to help get more money for their cause. They long since removed it from the store and when back to a regular style. I did how ever score 5 white Benihana mugs of various styles for about $1.99 each.
There is a small charity chain in my area called "Soul's Harbor" that just makes up their prices on the quanity of your items and/or your items. I bought a nice homemade 7ft bar with isolated cabinets for $100, an Al Harrington mug for .50 cents, a (working)Dr. Pepper machine for $50, and other tiki/polynesian itmes over the years. I go during my lunch break and I've been able to scour the place for what I'm looking for in 30 mins, and that includes rummaging, and come back with a trunk load for about $5-$15. See everything is donated to them, everything from unwanted garage sale items to unwanted 50's -60's items great-aunt Ester had untill the day she died. Well I have a nemesis, this blond b**** and her mother. They go everyday and buy junk. She started following me around and observing what i would pick up so she could get it next time, hopeing i would come to her booth in some antique mall and pay more for it. Well I bold faced caught her doing the most insane thing in the world. She's been telling the manager that he can get "X amount" of money for this item or that on eBay. Well the guys that run it are not bright people, so they start putting stuff to the side and ask her what she would charge. This infuriated me to the fact that I almost confronted her to tell her to "shut her ass, this place is a bargain hunter's dream". I kinda felt bad at first for getting these deals for so cheap, but they get so much stuff It doesn't matter how much they sell it for, they will get more the next morning. To make myself feel alittle better, I usually pay a few more dollars for something if I write a check.

As for the b****... Well I've tricked her into buying junk. I would wait untill she was looking in my direction, pick up an item, examine it for a while, then either put it down (sometimes pause then pick it back up, then back down) and walk away. I swear that cave she lives in must be getting pretty tight by now.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 6:32 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 22:56 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-25 7:17 pm   Permalink

The problem can be said in one word, EBAY. The SA here in KW is a joke! It is so well picked over by the local artsy crowd that all there is left is truly junk.

BTW most of the used clothes is sold by the pound to exporters that send it overseas. I see old event promo t-shirts all the time in 3rd world countrys.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 01:25 am   Permalink

I hear Martha Stewart is coming out with a new line of Salvation Army Armoire, in Target'

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-10-26 5:07 pm   Permalink

Pricing at thrift stores has always been a touchy issue. If I donated an item that was worth $200 to a thrift store, I would hope that they would get as much as that $200 as possible, since that money generally supports charity, rather than seeing it sell for $10, and all the additional profit going to the person who found it and then sold it on ebay.

Is the purpose of the thrifts to raise money for their charities, or is it to provide low cost goods for those with limited income who live in the community?

I used to volunteer at the big Goodwill in Washington DC, helping them sort the donated LP records. When I started, they had HUGE bins, 5 foot wire frame cubes, filled with donated LPs, and there were perhaps 3 or 4 similar bins, waiting to be sorted. We would set all LPS in near mint or better condition, or obvious collectibles (i.e. early 60's James Brown LPs) aside, where they would be individually priced for a big annual sale they held each November. The rest would be sent to the individual thrifts, where they were priced at $1 each. I was able to get first choice of those $1 LPs, but I had a self-imposed rule that I would buy only 20 per day -- it was more important for me to feel that I was helping Goodwill out, than trying to scam off them.

I don't doubt that there are many who have back-room deals to profit off thrift store donations. But my experience has shown that there are plenty of honest people who donate their time, and help out by doing their best to set the real value of the donated items.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-26 7:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 22:57 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-27 09:46 am   Permalink

Believe it or not, Bong, yes Bong, donates quite a number of valuable items to Good Will.

Typically, its bicycles my girls HAD to have one year, toys still in the box, Furniture, etc.

Good Will provides employement for those that otherwise might not find it. And as with any human endeavor, some scamming happens, but overall the Good Will is just that...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-27 10:26 am   Permalink

I usually visit DAV, Disabled American Veterans. They have better prices & I know they help vets.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jonboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-27 7:43 pm   Permalink

DAV in Oceanside is cheaper (except for books) put it is very poorly run, I get a headache just looking into that store.

Finding the good thrift stores is part of the "hunt". There are many charity thrift stores around, they come and go but can be the source of great deals because of the relative ignorance of the volunteers.

I am a thrift store fanatic, go to my local Goodwill twice a day!!! They hae gotten ridiculous in pricing, but I always find great deals (for resale).

Best deals are still the yards sales and the swap meets.

View Profile of jonboy Send a personal message to jonboy  Email jonboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 01:14 am   Permalink

The S.O. is not a charity or "non-profit" organization as they would like to call it. They people they hire are recovering addicts and so forth that can't get a job elsewhere. I had a friend that use to work for the S.O. and she only did so for 1 week. She couldn't take the fact that the whole organization is a joke! What happens is all the donation are taken to a central wherehouse. There I kid you not, your donations are there for the picking of the employees! They pick whatever they want, pay a couple of cents for it, then they ship off your goods to stores. They think just because they use the word "collectible" it makes the item a collectible hence EXPENSIVE! I was at a S.O. last year and saw this sofa that was identical to the one I had in my house! When I bought the sofa brand new it cost me $600. Why is it that the S.O. had a $800 price tag on it? Maybe they charged extra for all the added stains!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 04:19 am   Permalink

All the receiving and sorting at the Goodwill stores here is done by people on probation doing their community service hours.

That's OK with me, because that means they're rotating in and out regularly and it's harder for the junk pros to bribe someone to set the good stuff aside. That means I have a better crack at finding something good on the shelves.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

a (working)Dr. Pepper machine for $50

Is that the same machine you've got for sale on your website for $300?

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 07:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-28 07:14, mattfink wrote:
Quote:

a (working)Dr. Pepper machine for $50

Is that the same machine you've got for sale on your website for $300?

OOPS!.. heh just kidding.
No the $50 machine was something I bought for a friend's game room. It was an "Ice Chest" style.
The machine I have on my site is a different one.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 08:44 am   Permalink

...just curious...

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-28 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-28 08:44, mattfink wrote:
...just curious...

that's cool.

I re-read what I posted above, I should have pointed that out. It sounded like I was trying to resale something from the thrift store. The machine on my website was bought from a collector who was moving out of town to a new job.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation