Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Quest for the Key
Quest for the Key
*Bamboozled*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:10 pm   Permalink

I am hoping some of you encyclopedic tikiphiles can help me locate/identify a work of art I stumbled upon recently, but have been unable to find again. It depicts a woman on either a mod couch or ottoman looking alluring whilest dangling a key. I feel that it is likely the work of Shag, Doug Horne, or Tiki Shark (I know, distinctive styles, but my memory is just hazy enough that I think it could be any of them). The content really encapsulated for me that mysterious allure to which Tiki may entice us to submit. Mahalo!

View Profile of *Bamboozled* Send a personal message to *Bamboozled*      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:23 pm   Permalink

Sounds like Shag. I don't know the painting though.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 3:41 pm   Permalink

Yup. Shag has lots of ladies on couches In his works.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 3:46 pm   Permalink

This one? If so its called "The Key to the Carrera"

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2013-07-16 15:46 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 6:06 pm   Permalink

FYI, that's Tura Satana of "Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill" fame.

She also danced burlesque
in a Tiki bar and partied at FI.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-24 8:42 pm   Permalink

There's THIS Doug Horne piece, but she's not dangling a key.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 10:09 pm   Permalink

A flaming tiki drink is a key to an interesting night.

Jeff btd

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2013-07-24 22:13 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-25 6:21 pm   Permalink

There may be dozens of lounging-girl-with-key compositions that don't match what you're looking for. Shag's "The Distraught Tiki" below is probably one of them, especially considering there's no mod couch...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 8:50 pm   Permalink

why is that tiki crying?

have you ever seen a moai weep?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
*Bamboozled*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-25 10:25 pm   Permalink

That's it, aquarj! Thanks so much. I was really starting to question my memory (which is rightly questionable to be sure). I kept thinking, maybe the "Key to the Carerra" really was what I was remembering - I had seen it before so I was thinking maybe I was just mis-remembering, but couldn't shake the idea that it was more green or blue in tone. Alas, you have found exactly the one I had in mind and identified its name, too - yay! Admittedly, my description was off - not dangling the key exactly and not a mod couch. Grog, that Doug Horne is among my favorites and may have been influencing my memory of the mod couch. Thanks everyone for helping out. This place is amazing. Your collective knowledge of all things tiki is remarkable and why I enjoy reading these boards so much. Mahalo!

View Profile of *Bamboozled* Send a personal message to *Bamboozled*      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation