[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Enchanted Tiki room figurines from 1963
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Enchanted Tiki room figurines from 1963
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-17 2:28 pm   Permalink

This is my first post so I hope I do it properly! These pieces were either prototypes or replacement figures for the then new Tiki attraction. My father was a Disney exec and very friendly with John Hench, I believe these were a gift from him. I used to play TIki Room under our kitchen table with these little guys, nothing has been added to them except the dust! Each one (there are several) has an embedded WED Enterprises copyright plate in the casting (I have included a close up photo). Has anyone seen other pieces like these? I would appreciate any info!
I tried posting this earlier today but it did't seem to go through.

img]http://tikiroom.com/img/77871x51e6c845.jpg[/img]

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-17 2:30 pm   Permalink

additional photos

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 2:32 pm   Permalink

Nice !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-07-17 14:33 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 2:51 pm   Permalink

Wow! Those are fantastic. A nice piece of tiki history you have there!

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-17 3:04 pm   Permalink

VERY cool! I have a couple lithographs (non-tiki room) signed by John Hench. Somewhere in my collection I also have a tiki room graphic signed by a bunch of the imagineers who worked on the project, including John Hench and Rolly Crump, I think... I put it away for safe keeping, hope to run into it soon.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 9:34 pm   Permalink

In the 60's they used to sell the tiki babies (the new gods that would come down from Tangoroa. These are probably originals since they have the WED mark on the back.

Five years ago they made replicas of two of them for the Tiki Room's 45th anniversary.

If you are going to sell, you might have some confusion from customers since they may think they are the reproductions, which would probably be worth less (even though there were fewer made)

[ This Message was edited by: wizzard419 2013-07-17 21:43 ]

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 08:51 am   Permalink

I have seen the Tiki Babies like the one you have, but it did not have the WED markings.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-18 09:12 am   Permalink

Were the Tiki Babies that were originally sold when the attraction opened exact copies or scaled down versions? Were they smaller? Also, how many different Tiki Babies actually descend? I have a fourth figurine not shown. I wonder how many there are in total!

Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Tigertail, I am not 100% sure, but I believe the ones that sold at the Adventureland Bazaar were scaled down cast replicas. The ones you have, were most likely the actual show pieces, and had to be larger, based on Tangaroa, the tree of life. The only two people I know who would have an absolute answer would be Miehana, and BigBroTiki...Incredibly awesome pieces, though, and I've never seen them that clean! Mr. Hench seemed like a standup guy, even in the old Disney World of Color clips!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 2:12 pm   Permalink

How large are they? We might be able to give a guess if the castings came from the ones used in the show or not.

If the one with the blue hair is about 14 inches tall (not counting the hair) then it may have been the same mold that was used for the ones on the tree.

It is interesting to note that because yours were hand made for mass consumption, they didn't all follow the exact same criteria, which led to yours having a wig.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 9:04 pm   Permalink

Pretty please...may we see a photo of the fourth one...and Thank You

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 08:44 am   Permalink

The one on the right I have seen the copy that was made and it was about a foot tall.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-19 09:50 am   Permalink

I am curious about the one you saw without the copyright plate, which seems to have been a separate stamped or cast element. Note the bottom of the foot on the standing figure with the blue headdress, The plate has been slotted in and glued. Also, because of the color variations on the same 'models' I wonder if these were early castings that they were messing around with in terms final coloration and decorative elements (beads, skirts, headdresses etc). They may have settled on the final design and these were leftovers,
hence available to be given as a gift.

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 4:19 pm   Permalink

Possibly, you can find artist proofs for various merch from time to time. Another reason the plate might look so out of place on all of them is that they were using the original figures to make the forms and added the plate to the casts. Normally, on a finished product, the engraving would be more subtle.

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 5:48 pm   Permalink

It is my understanding that they sold pieces like these out in the Adventureland area these look like older ones I've seen but I could be wrong. I have also seen the same sculpts with a simple WED on the bottom which might explain the slot and fancy tag on these, in any case they are very cool.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation