FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Ti ASHTRAY release party SAT 27TH 4:00 PM
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Ti ASHTRAY release party SAT 27TH 4:00 PM
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 9:54 pm   Permalink

As the SouCal Tiki summer is heating up (as Marketplace and Tonga Hut happening on the same weekend demonstrate) I feel the need to get the word out about this so that the busy LA Tikiphile can pencil it into their calendar:

SMOKING KILLS! ..the sticker says. ...So do a lot of other things, and I say: SMOKING IS FUN!

ESPECIALLY with the new Tiki Ti ashtray, designed by yours truly

Holds TWO cigars (ends) and FOUR cigarettes (sides). And if you are a fervent anti-smoke crusader, do not fret:
I provided a hole in the back so you can hang it up...

....on the wall like an object of primitive art.

The piece is inspired by Papua New Guinea Gope boards...

...and Eharo masks:

...whose traditional use is described thus:

"...masks called eharo, such as that seen here, were created primarily for amusement, described as maea morava eharu (things of gladness)...
.....Eharo masks were made and worn by men from neighboring villages at the request of the village hosting the ceremony. As they entered the host village, the resident women pelted them with shredded coconut to neutralize their seductive powers, which might otherwise prove irresistible. The eharo then danced, surrounded by women from their home villages. A lighthearted atmosphere prevailed and eharo performances were often boisterous and bawdy."

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-19 02:53 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 10:16 pm   Permalink

Very cool! Makes me wish I smoked. OK, not really, but it makes me wish I had a use for it.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 10:16 pm   Permalink

Nice design Sven, congrats!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 12:15 am   Permalink

I'd hang that on my wall.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-19 7:11 pm   Permalink

Very cool, a great and unique idea!

I will have to have one...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-20 09:27 am   Permalink

This poker game could use a proper ash tray.
Success!

Photo compliments of Slacks Ferret (until he takes me to court)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-21 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-20 09:27, Unga Bunga wrote:
This poker game could use a proper ash tray.
Success!

Photo compliments of Slacks Ferret (until he takes me to court)

If you've sparked new interest in my print (still available for sale!), then I won't take you to court Unga Bunga.

But seriously, that's a damn cool ashtray! And it makes sense that it's from the Tiki Ti, since they still allow smoking there. I would love to hang one on my wall.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 10:27 pm   Permalink

Wow! Very Cool Sven!

Two questions:

How much does it cost & how much rum do you think it will hold? (I'm too busy being a rummy to have time for smoking!)

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 12:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 21:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
.....Eharo masks were made and worn by men from neighboring villages at the request of the village hosting the ceremony. As they entered the host village, the resident women pelted them with shredded coconut to neutralize their seductive powers, which might otherwise prove irresistible. The eharo then danced, surrounded by women from their home villages. A lighthearted atmosphere prevailed and eharo performances were often boisterous and bawdy."

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-19 02:53 ]

Great looking piece Sven.Now there's another "thing" I gotta have.
I'll try not to derail this thread too much butI will put it back on track when I wrap up this reply.
The late afternoon sun can be brutal on the upper back and neck when having a Mai Tai at my outdoor bar. I added an "awning" last year which can be opened and closed and is held up "Hawaiian style" by two bamboo sticks. The painting/drawing I chose to add interest to an otherwise boring 8'x 4' sheet of plywood was that Eharo mask that inspired you. I was not aware of the Eharo's raison d'etre but your dicription brought a smile to my face. I also threw my entire stock of shredded coconut away!
To get back on track-I will be at the Tiki Ti on Saturday, 27 July for the Sven Kirsten designed ashtray release party.
Mahalo
Btw, will you be signing em?

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-20 09:27, Unga Bunga wrote:

You forgot some stuff:

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 5:53 pm   Permalink

Yaaah - SMOKIN' !!!

I will be there from 4:00 o'clock on to sign them babies, at the table in the corner on the right when you come in. I just found out they can be had for a measly 25.00 bucks! It might get a little crowded...

Here are some "display suggestions" for your artifact:

The Classic - Sitting on your Witco armchair, with a fine cigar and a good rum

The Gallery - Gracing your wall with your collection of primitive art

The Royal - As the new Tiki Ti Crest

In the Jungle - The Tribal Totem

The Vessel - Legends of Polynesian Navigation
(Do not use in bathtub)

So, as everyone can see, one does not have to a smoker to appreciate this piece

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 6:05 pm   Permalink

Will these be available online? I need one for the tropical patio. Much more attractive than the random Tommy Bahama ashtray we have now! I super love that it is designed for cigars. My hubby loves to relax on the weekends with a tropical beverage and a cigar.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-25 7:05 pm   Permalink

Hit me up, Pomaika. I don't mind picking up an extra, as I was planning on hitting up Tiki Ti fairly soon after opening.

Besides, having a Floridan to help out with my own tiki searches would be nice down the line.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-25 7:09 pm   Permalink

That is nice of you TJS! Hopefully my brother will grab me one. I might not be able to make it up there anytime soon.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Hell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-26 10:28 am   Permalink

We were just in LA last Sunday, but this might be worth a trip back up there to pick up. Hummm...

View Profile of Miss Hell Send a personal message to Miss Hell  Goto the website of Miss Hell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation