Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New tiki
New tiki
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 10:31 am   Permalink

I haven't been involved much on here lately, but I busted this out over the weekend.

Made the frame & everything. I just thought I would share a little ...

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 4:28 pm   Permalink

What!?! No responses!?! That thing is bitchen!(yes, I said bitchen). Nice work Mike.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 4:47 pm   Permalink

That is nice mike-stobbe, sorry I missed it.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 10:42 pm   Permalink

Very cool! What kind of wood is that?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 10:32 am   Permalink

Nice. Cool frame and mounting job for the carving but I have to say that the screws take away from it. Try to come up with a way of securing it to the backing without them being visible. Screw it from the back or side, use glue, etc.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 2:18 pm   Permalink

Haha, thanks Matt. I kind of like the screws although I do agree it takes away from the primitive feel of the piece. I'm kind of a caveman impost instances so for me it was an easy way to make them stick to the rest of the piece. I'll try and figure out a more subtle technique to do that in the future though.

Thanks for looking everyone.

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-07 22:42, 4WDtiki wrote:
Very cool! What kind of wood is that?

The tiki is redwood, a 2x6 deck board I had laying around. It was kind of weathered and I spaced out and didn't get down to the good wood, so I had to make a few changes as I went, but it carved pretty easily, for the most part.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation