FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey auction material
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey auction material
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 10:34 am   Permalink

I feel like a cicada that has come up out of the ground after seventeen years, at least on the Tiki front! Here is the story. When Don the Beachcomber in Marina Del Rey went out of business my friend Chris Byk and got in my flat bed truck, filled our wallets with cash and headed out. I got a lot of stuff, including sixteen large custom made glass 'net floats', framed black white photos, ephemera and newspaper clippings. But the most outstanding acquisition was thirteen carved posts made (I believe) by Oceanic Arts. The pieces are 10' high,
14 1/2" wide and 3" thick out of solid mahogany. Each one is a unique design. Here are the photos...

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed image links. - 2013-07-23 14:07 ]

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 10:51 am   Permalink

Aaah, the legendary auction! Those are real beautes indeed, they look like O.A.'s/Leroy's work.

Of all the wonders of that auction, the original Leetegs from the Hollywood location, the carvings, the floats - do you know what happened to the celebrity-tagged chopsticks? Were they spread into the winds, or did one person get them all?

I am looking for just one set in its bamboo case with whatever star's name on it for a museum show on American Tiki culture I am curating next year. If you have one, or have any leads, I would be most appreciative.

Mahalo, Sven Kirsten

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 12:22 pm   Permalink

I do not have any of the chopsticks, sadly. I do have some photos of private parties, with celebrities of the era hanging with Don. I will post those. Meanwhile, here are the rest of the large pieces.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed image link. - 2013-07-23 14:05 ]

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 1:17 pm   Permalink

Amazing! Are those still in storage or do you have them on display somehow? Granted, 10-fot tall posts are not easy to display in most homes.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 1:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the posting the posts (pun intended!). Would love to see photos of other items you got in the auction.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-23 2:18 pm   Permalink

MOAR!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 3:44 pm   Permalink

At the time I bought these I was a sculptor living in a warehouse in Boyle Heights (east LA). I decided to build a room around them (plus a 11' tall Yali demon sculpture from southern India). I spent a lot of time making the coved blue ceiling, lit by fluorescents behind the Tikis. We had some amazing parties down there in the late eighties and early nineties!

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-07-23 4:08 pm   Permalink

OMFG!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 5:38 pm   Permalink

Wow - I'm getting tingles looking at these!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-24 12:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks!! I wish I had been hooked into the Tiki community back then! We could have had some fun events. Oh well, never too late. Does anyone out there have images of the interior of the Marina Del Rey Beachcomber's? By any chance was anyone else present at the auction or took pictures of the auction items during the inspection? I didn't. No phone cameras back then.
Anyway, next big items were the glass floats, I think we got sixteen of seventeen of them. They originally hung in a cluster in the entryway, I believe....again any photos would be great to see! They hung from the ceiling of the room I posted the pictures of earlier, most are now hanging in a ficus tree in my yard, I will post a better picture, they look fantastic at night

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-24 1:50 pm   Permalink

I love the glass float tree! I bet it looks more cool than the chandelier tree house in Silver Lake.
Thank you for posting your panels and other wonderful purchases from the auction.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-24 3:21 pm   Permalink

By the way, I don't know how many Tiki Central members used to frequent Yee Mee Loo's bar in LA Chinatown, but that is the cashier's counter in the middle photograph. Some friends of mine bought the entire interior and we stored it at my place for about six months. A Glendale restauranteur and devotee bought it all. It was an incredible locale and should have been preserved. Replaced, of course, by a piece of crap mini-mall development.

mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 4:40 pm   Permalink

Tigertail, we like cicadas ... especially those with cool workshops!

Are the large floats glass or acrylic? Looks like lights in a few of them, and some on the ground have openings on the top. We'd love to see some of the photos and ephemera you got. Last year we had a wonderful opportunity to interview someone who worked there when it was still Don's -- that was a long time ago, and it seems like the people who were there and remember are getting scarce.

Here's a thread on Yee Mee Loo's. No tiki per se, but certainly exotic -- and probably would have been a stop on JOHN-O's chop suey tour (I can see the t-shirts already!). Tigertail if you're interested in LA preservation, you should check out LA Mod Com. They've helped save a lot of places.

Welcome to Tiki Central!

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 9:18 pm   Permalink

Tigertail, I think Kevin & Jody told me about you some years ago...you are/were in Eagle Rock?

I am looking forward to your images of Don with Hollywood celebs. One display in the show will concentrate on the PR value of stars utilized by Tiki restauranteurs.

In my over 20 years of Tiki research and collecting in Los Angeles, I have never come upon any sign of the Beachcomber chopsticks, it's a mystery what happened to them.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-25 07:45 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-25 09:57 am   Permalink

Thanks guys! The floats are glass, obviously custom made, blown into a mold. They vary in thickness from 3/8" to 5/8" even within individual pieces. Each has a 4" aperture at one end for the light fixture. Most are in their original netting, that is an issue because they will eventually rot outdoors, but what can you do? leave them in boxes? I had lights on dimmers installed in them last year. They are delicate, which is why I put them up in the tree double cabled them. Five have been broken over the years. painful. I will post good photos of them in the next couple of days.
meanwhile, the tall Tikis are getting some air. I have installed them in my carport for a party! Can't leave them out or they will be ruined, but they are good for a couple of weeks...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation