FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey auction material
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey auction material
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 10:58 pm   Permalink

Yes indeed, it is great to see that this kind of visual material got preserved! Some of the photos look like they were taken at Don's backyard Luaus in Encino.

For the Polynesian Pop historian, it is shocking to read how in the article Sunny Sund is portrayed as THE founder and owner of the Hollywood Beachcomber, mentioning "Don Beach-comber" as the "original owner" who "continued working for her after selling her the restaurant" and is "now a Lieutenant in the Army is expected to return to the cafe where he acts a managing director". They were married for chrissakes, and she took it over after the divorce while he was in the service.

We cannot ask him how he felt about it all, but the fact that he moved on to Hawaii and did it all over again kind of says it all. I am not saying he got cheated, perhaps she was very much "the woman behind the man" helping to create the place, and it all was a concordant dissolution of property and rights, but one wonders how he must have felt reading this article.

Ultimately, it is him who is justifiably remembered as the innovator and creator of many concepts that made up the American Tiki paradise.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-08-31 23:19 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 10:34 am   Permalink

Exactly right on all points. As little as I know of the history I found that fluff piece very odd. Obviously they were a team, and Sunny Sund had style and gumption, but she stepped onto a stage that had been set by him. I thought some of this pictures were taken at his private home. Wow. How strange must it have been to travel across miles of avocado and citrus groves to arrive at a tropical oasis, at that time period. No freeways, the whole valley dotted with cowboy movie ranches.There is a missing picture of Red Skelton, on his back with hands and legs in the air like a begging dog, and Gary Cooper standing over him dangling a fish. My friend Chris took that one and I haven't seen it since...
BTW, does this photo and address mean anything to anyone? It must have some significance, it was framed. Maybe a restaurant location at time of purchase? None of these photos have any notation or dates, I have just pieced together info. The address is 1727, no street sign

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-01 11:44 am   Permalink

Donn opened his first bar at 1722 McCadden and a couple years later moved across the street to 1727. Here's some additional pics, although I think at least one if them is the 1722 address:

https://hollywoodphotographs.com/search/beachcomber/

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-01 11:49 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:07 pm   Permalink

you nailed it.

View Profile of tigertail Send a personal message to tigertail      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:10 pm   Permalink

Notice how the palm fronds are completely painted in! Photoshop 1930's style, they wanted that lush look.

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:34 pm   Permalink

Funny, I was just noticing the same thing!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:38 pm   Permalink

What is that second flag? Hawaii State?

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 2:55 pm   Permalink

That would be the "U.S. Territory of Hawaii" at that point.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 9:04 pm   Permalink

I have to say I am really enjoying TikiCentral, you just send out those messages in a bottle...and the tide brings back the answers!

tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-26 2:38 pm   Permalink

I found the missing box of additional photos from the back room at the Marina Del Rey Restaurant. As BigBroTiki surmised, these were taken at a Luau party at Donn Beach's house in Encino. What a window into a lost scene...

Donn Beach, in his Element!

Sunny Lund disrobes Frank Morgan, Keenan Wynn needs a refill!

Gary Cooper chilling with friends (is that Lionel Stander or a movie exec?)

It's a party

Keenan, Sunny and Donn.

Plantains and Yams!

Anybody hungry? (is that Hoagy Carmichael on the left?)

Van Johnson stands tall!

Donn offers, She accepts!

and my all time favorite...Skelton Begs, Cooper Provides! (a yam that is...)

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-26 10:03 pm   Permalink

those are incredible!

(hoagy c. on the right in that one photo)

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-01 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks! originally wanted to keep these photos in their original frames, but they are very simple, cheap and falling apart. Thinking about making individual bamboo frames and arranging them as a single piece.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 11:37 am   Permalink

yeah, that would look great.

you can find 1/2 inch bamboo molding or just get some 1 inch diameter bamboo, split and hot glue over a simple metal frame to get the effect.

if you still have the old frames, i'd shore them up and hot glue the split bamboo on that.

oceanic arts has pre-split bamboo available.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-03 4:51 pm   Permalink

Yes! Individually framed but displayed as a single piece, a 'moment in time' narrative...

tigertail
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-11 12:49 pm   Permalink

The Last Batch!
Back from the party to the restaurant...

Donn contemplates the elements of his world,

1939, Donn still has eyes for Sunny!

Down on the mixin' floor, keepin' them fellas churning out the concoctions!

A few words on the miracle of modern off-set printing!

and a close up...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation