FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Straw Hut
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Straw Hut
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-26 10:49 am   Permalink

Excellent Home Bar! You nailed it with this one. The fine details throughout the bar are impressive. Everywhere you look you are engaged in the tiki environment.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-26 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-25 22:01, Bora Boris wrote:

You have a Porthole looking out onto the small patio? - Completely Ridiculous!

I'm with Boris...that porthole is incredible!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-26 2:19 pm   Permalink

This is as legit as it gets. I am very impressed. I love your dedication wall to all those and places who gave birth to the Tiki boom. Just awesome!!!!!!!

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-27 07:08 am   Permalink

Holy crow! Your place is amazing!!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 08:40 am   Permalink

A very special place Trad'r Bill.
When's the official Tiki Central night?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-28 09:48 am   Permalink

Super cool!!!

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 11:23 am   Permalink

Your home bar is freakin' AMAZING! Seriously, of the caliber one would find in a commercial establishment! Love the port hole window especially.

Amazing!!!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 1:00 pm   Permalink

Yes - Yes - Yes - !

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 9:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words everyone...

To say the least, this room has been a labor of love for me. I did all the work myself, except for the 2-man jobs when my brother-in-law helped out. Certain aspects of the build took much longer than I had expected... and if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure I would have chosen certain paths. The floor, and the wood paneling jump out as examples. As I said earlier, it took me over a year to get to this point, and I still have more work to do.

My family moved into a new home about 18 months ago, and for the first 6 months or so, the room served simply as a storage space for my tiki stuff. I had a newborn daughter at this point, so my focus was obviously on her:

My floats were moved in without incident:

Moving in my baby, er clam shell:

Crap everywhere, albeit good crap:

I was still gathering supplies at this point... Bamboo Depot in Benicia was my main resource:

I found this booth on Craigslist, which came from a Chevy's at the Valley Fair mall in Santa Clara:

looked better once I painted the hideous fabric. I was too chicken to reupholster it myself:

I got this large piece of Tongan ngatu cloth for $35 at an antique fair - score! This is going behind the bar.

Little by little, I was able to do some work, like splitting and sizing the bamboo:

...and eventually I cleared everything out to start doing some real work:

Post is getting long, I'll add more soon. Thanks for looking.

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:09 am   Permalink

wow- your spot is seriously legit- nice work! Love the floats over the bar, they look amazing! that's alot of weight, must've been fun securing those

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 10:46 am   Permalink

Yep, I had to do the old Bamboo Ben "hang on it and see if it breaks" test when hanging the glass floats. My wife is still convinced that it's going to bring down our house, but I don't think so.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 2:11 pm   Permalink

Outstanding! I tip my hat.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-02 2:41 pm   Permalink

Wowie, WOW, Wow!!
Right on!
Great job, this is how tiki should look.
Pm me your address and I got a few more photos for you.

Needs a Tikiskip light tho.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-24 14:29, Trad'r Bill wrote:
Aloha Tiki peeps

Great space!

I really like that the walls are lighter than the floor - Ive been thinking Id prefer it & wondering what it would look like - did you treat / lighten the matting in any way?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 1:05 pm   Permalink

Oh & I'm jealous of your wood!

Quote:

I would love some pieces like that!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation