FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 2:46 pm   Permalink

This is a puzzler...

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself in to liking Tiki drinks. Why? I have plenty of friends who'd rather drink bourbon or Scotch or a Martini than any Tiki drink. Drinking something you don't like is a sign of pretension or incipient mental illness. You said you already know what you like -- so drink that. I don't know why anyone would want to do otherwise.

But I think you wandered into the wrong forum, since this one is for discussing Tiki drinks.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 14:46, djmont wrote:
This is a puzzler...

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself in to liking Tiki drinks. Why? I have plenty of friends who'd rather drink bourbon or Scotch or a Martini than any Tiki drink. Drinking something you don't like is a sign of pretension or incipient mental illness. You said you already know what you like -- so drink that. I don't know why anyone would want to do otherwise.

But I think you wandered into the wrong forum, since this one is for discussing Tiki drinks.

I'm not trying to talk myself into anything.
I started this thread with the question "Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?"
and "Can tiki coexist with bourbon and beer? " I guess I got my answer.

View Profile of Freaky Torch Send a personal message to Freaky Torch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 14:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
I like steak a lot but I've never had an aged steak. Yet I also like a McDonald's hamburger from time to time. I don't believe you have to spend top dollar to enjoy a drink. If that is required then it's not for me anyway. Bringing it back to bourbon, I've had cheap ones like Old Crow or Ten High and I don't enjoy them as much as I do Wild Turkey. Yet I've spent more than WT money on so called "good" bourbon and enjoyed them less than the WT. My point is, I know what I like. I also know what I'm willing to spend. Fruit juice in my drinks is not really what I like, no matter how good the liquor is. Simply put, I like to taste the booze in my booze.

I am guessing you have not had real (as in classic) Tiki drinks, they are more liquor centric
and less juice flavored then you think.

And like I said earlier, I like a good "Old Fashioned" as much as a good Mai Tai
and both require a decent quality whiskey or rum, both were served in the classic Tiki bars
of years past.

You have not had a great steak until you have had one of aged beef, expensive...yes
but anything of quality is.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-28 15:10 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

You have not had a great steak until you have had one of aged beef, expensive...yes
but anything of quality is.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-28 15:10 ]

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

View Profile of Freaky Torch Send a personal message to Freaky Torch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:28 pm   Permalink

there's a "what brands of beer are tiki" thread here somewhere.

here are three tiki drinks calling for bourbon; if you like a whiskey sour then you'll enjoy these (you can google the recipes or search them here at TC):

--the Eastern Sour (a Trader Vic's creation);

--the Western Sour (from Crane's Kon-Tiki);

--the Port Light (another Trader Vic's drink).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 15:28, thePorpoise wrote:
there's a "what brands of beer are tiki" thread here somewhere.

here are three tiki drinks calling for bourbon; if you like a whiskey sour then you'll enjoy these (you can google the recipes or search them here at TC):

--the Eastern Sour (a Trader Vic's creation);

--the Western Sour (from Crane's Kon-Tiki);

--the Port Light (another Trader Vic's drink).

Thank you!

Here's a relevant article I just found on the subject:
http://www.letstiki.com/home/2011/4/13/the-sour-challenge-eastern-sour-vs-western-sour.html

[ This Message was edited by: Freaky Torch 2013-07-28 15:37 ]

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:52 pm   Permalink

With most consumer goods, there's a demonstrable relationship between price and quality. But it's not an absolute ratio. There are certainly bargains to be had with almost anything. That being said, it is generally the case that the best of anything is among the more expensive examples of it. It's an inevitable consequence of a market-based system. Of course, everyone's taste is different. There are surely some people who truly do prefer McDonald's to Peter Luger's. And more power to them! I imagine it's a blissful way to live.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 3:55 pm   Permalink

Well said! I can definitely agree with that.

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 4:27 pm   Permalink

That's the spirit! Glad you're willing to try some recipes out. You can't go wrong w/ the classicics; I know you'll find something you love.

As far as cost & rum are concerned, better does not always mean more expensive. Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper. Cruzan is far superior to Bacardi, and it's cheaper. Appleton v/x is probably my all-around favorite rum, and it's $16 a bottle...

By the way, I'm not against bourbon or beer. Especially beer. Beer=good.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 16:27, happy buddha wrote:
That's the spirit! Glad you're willing to try some recipes out. You can't go wrong w/ the classicics; I know you'll find something you love.

As far as cost & rum are concerned, better does not always mean more expensive. Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper. Cruzan is far superior to Bacardi, and it's cheaper. Appleton v/x is probably my all-around favorite rum, and it's $16 a bottle...

By the way, I'm not against bourbon or beer. Especially beer. Beer=good.

Coruba is better than Myers', and it's cheaper.

Now you're talkin' my language. Coruba will be the next rum I buy.

Cargo Cult

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:07 pm   Permalink

Wow, that was a warm welcome for a not unreasonable question, and all without any of the various smartypants responders mentioning the Honi Honi, which as far I know can be found on every Trader Vic's menu. Oh, well.

Good for you, Freaky Torch, for hanging in there. It may well be a waste of time, though. The straightbourbon fourms seem a bit nicer and there are rum drinkers there, too. This forum is a great source of info although sometimes the condescension toward newcomers gets a bit thick. Lurking may be a better solution. That way you get the info without the attitude.

View Profile of Cargo Cult Send a personal message to Cargo Cult      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 17:07, Cargo Cult wrote:
Wow, that was a warm welcome for a not unreasonable question, and all without any of the various smartypants responders mentioning the Honi Honi, which as far I know can be found on every Trader Vic's menu. Oh, well.

Good for you, Freaky Torch, for hanging in there. It may well be a waste of time, though. The straightbourbon fourms seem a bit nicer and there are rum drinkers there, too. This forum is a great source of info although sometimes the condescension toward newcomers gets a bit thick. Lurking may be a better solution. That way you get the info without the attitude.

Thanks for the kudos but no one was rude and I enjoy the back-and-forth. I was just genuinely wondering if anyone was a bourbon fan like I am.

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:22 pm   Permalink

Who gave him attitude? I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion.

Let us know how you like the Coruba, freaky torch

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:26 pm   Permalink

I will!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 15:52, djmont wrote:
With most consumer goods, there's a demonstrable relationship between price and quality. But it's not an absolute ratio. There are certainly bargains to be had with almost anything. That being said, it is generally the case that the best of anything is among the more expensive examples of it. It's an inevitable consequence of a market-based system. Of course, everyone's taste is different. There are surely some people who truly do prefer McDonald's to Peter Luger's. And more power to them! I imagine it's a blissful way to live.

and a

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation