FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Any Tiki Bourbon drinkers here?
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 5:59 pm   Permalink

The Mai Tai has been one of my favorite drinks for decades. I also like bourbon, but I don't really care for the Honi Honi (same recipe as M.T., except sub bourbon for rum). A couple years ago I experimented, paring back the ingredients, and settled on a simpler drink with bourbon that I like a lot. I called it a "Beau Tai" - pretty much a variation of a whiskey sour:

Beau Tai
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice (1 medium lime)
1/2 ounce simple syrup (to taste; I use less)
2 ounces bourbon
Dash of Fee Brothers Old fashioned Aromatic Bitters

Dash bitters into empty old fashioned glass. Shake other ingredients with ice, pour into glass.

In a pinch, sub Angostura bitters, I suppose. But the Fee Bros. has a more prominent cinnamon taste that really enhances the appeal for me. When I describe and offer this drink to my bourbon-drinking friends, they've always seemed apprehensive. And then they ask for another, and the recipe. They say they never would have thought lime and cinnamon could do anything but hurt good bourbon.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-28 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 17:59, Limbo Lizard wrote:
The Mai Tai has been one of my favorite drinks for decades. I also like bourbon, but I don't really care for the Honi Honi (same recipe as M.T., except sub bourbon for rum). A couple years ago I experimented, paring back the ingredients, and settled on a simpler drink with bourbon that I like a lot. I called it a "Beau Tai" - pretty much a variation of a whiskey sour:

Beau Tai
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice (1 medium lime)
1/2 ounce simple syrup (to taste; I use less)
2 ounces bourbon
Dash of Fee Brothers Old fashioned Aromatic Bitters

Dash bitters into empty old fashioned glass. Shake other ingredients with ice, pour into glass.

In a pinch, sub Angostura bitters, I suppose. But the Fee Bros. has a more prominent cinnamon taste that really enhances the appeal for me. When I describe and offer this drink to my bourbon-drinking friends, they've always seemed apprehensive. And then they ask for another, and the recipe. They say they never would have thought lime and cinnamon could do anything but hurt good bourbon.

That sounds like another recipe I'm going to have to try. Thanks for your input.

View Profile of Freaky Torch Send a personal message to Freaky Torch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 8:24 pm   Permalink

Another burbon and rye Mai Tai riff along the lines of the Honi Honi is Smuggler Cove's Bluegrass Mai Tai. Excellent drink.

1 oz Bourbon (Wild Turkey 81)
1 oz Bonded Rye (Rittenhouse 100)
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
1/2 oz Orgeat
1 oz Lemon Juice

You could probably flip the standard proof bourbon for your WT 101 and go with a standard proof rye instead and still make a great drink.

I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion that Coruba is orders of magnitude better than Meyers. I consider Coruba to be one of the absolutely essential mixing rums, but I could happily live the rest of my life without ever tasting Meyers again.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 07:11 am   Permalink

I believe Hawaiian master bartender Harry Yee's "Tropical Itch" had bourbon, along with dark Jamaican and 151 Demerara.

By the way, I think we need MORE posting on this list, and we should encourage discussion, even if it occasionally involves wildly off-topic insanity like beer or bourbon.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freaky Torch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-29 07:17 am   Permalink

The second post in this thread mentioned the Tropical Itch.

View Profile of Freaky Torch Send a personal message to Freaky Torch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-28 12:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
Can tiki coexist with bourbon and beer?

On 2013-07-28 12:16, Freaky Torch wrote:
I have a tradition called Tiki Friday. After a hard week's work After a hard week's work I light my two tiki torches in the backyard and listen to music while I drink...

It sounds like it does Have whatever you fancy!

I have a buddy who loves whiskey - Ive been making him different drinks & I think he has enjoyed:

Cocktail night one = Manhattan, Horses Neck, Rum Boston Sour & Rum Old Fashioned.
Cocktail night two = Hemmingway Diaquiri, Dark & Stormy, Falernum Swizzle, Mai Tai, Sazerac, Ron Zacapa 23
Cocktail night three = Beer, my Rum Punch, Cuba Libre, Navy Grog, Three Dots, Rye Old Fashioned, Appleton 12

He also tried a load more, most went down well that sort of progression might suit you?

I love Old Fashioned & Sazeracs but Im not a fan of tiki whiskey drinks.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation