FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music What's your favorite tiki album ?
What's your favorite tiki album ?
BongoZombi

Posted: 2003-07-09 12:01 pm   Permalink

My favorite is Bongoland from the Ultra Lounge followed by Martin Dennys Quite Village. What's yours ?

View Profile of BongoZombi Send a personal message to BongoZombi  Email BongoZombi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 12:30 pm   Permalink

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 2:05 pm   Permalink

1.Eden Ahbez- "Eden's Island". 2.Les Baxter- "The Sacred Idol". 3.Martin Denny- "Exotica" 4.Michel Magne- "Tropical Fantasy"

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 2:59 pm   Permalink

"Voodoo" by Robert Draisnin, followed by Eden Ahbez' "Eden's Island", the hands- down champ for scariest album cover not by Aphex Twin. And let's not overlook the amazing APE from San Francisco- rumored to have a full length CD in the final stages of production. I'm Pau.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 3:00 pm   Permalink

http://www.bounce.com/review/recommend.php/668/?K=%C2%BC%C8%F8%C2%D9%CF%BA

My brother (who lives in Tokyo) got me this brilliant CD called Frozen Hawaii... it is on heavy rotation at the saucer house!
If you like ambient funkiness and hawaiian good times, the sound of surf mixed with cool samples, you MUST try to get this CD! Don't know if there is any way to order it outside Japan though...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

and Jezus Christ, Dave! Over 900 posts! What a monster.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 3:22 pm   Permalink

Polynesia! Hands down. This record is truly amazing. It's pictured in the BOT. You can usually find it on ebay for about $7 and I can guarantee you it's one of the best.
Here's the amazing cover:

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-09 15:28 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modchick65
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-09 4:04 pm   Permalink

while i wouldn't label it a "tiki album" by any stretch, "the best of annette" is always a fun listen (especially "pineapple princess"). i also really dig the first tipsy record (trip-tease). and then there are the standards... the first arthur lyman, martin denny... the ultra-lounge comps...

ok, i obviously cannot choose. will stop rambling now.

View Profile of modchick65 Send a personal message to modchick65  Goto the website of modchick65     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 9:41 pm   Permalink

I guess it all depends on what you are refering to as "Tiki" Albums.

I mean, I love the many Webley Edwards 'Hawaii Calls' albums.
And although these are Hawaiian / Polynesian sounds, they can be considered very "Tiki" simply by their covers.

Or are we talking about what is refered to as "Exotica", which would include the selections mentioned?

One of my first and favorites was Lawrence Welk and the "Sounds of the Islands" LP. Poor cover, but great tunes.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:26 pm   Permalink

Sons Of Hawaii "Songs of Old Hawaii" - old Gabby album.

aloha, emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:58 pm   Permalink

Assuming Album can be a CD, too:

Mine is
Eden's Island

I also enjoy Mondo Exotica for the variety.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-10 1:59 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I got Mondo Exotica after Hanford recommended it a while back. Has all the Tiki greats and is an ideal party album. The liner notes were somewhat dubious, though - Trader Vic is described as being an old fraud, if I recall.

Arthur Lyman's Taboo album was the first exotica album I bought, but still, perhaps the best.

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-07-10 14:00 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

Billy Mure's Hawaiian Percussion is my favorite. Exotica meets space age bachelor pad pop.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-10 3:04 pm   Permalink

I agree about the Billy Mure record. That's one of my other favorites!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation