FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What proportion of your rum is worthwhile?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What proportion of your rum is worthwhile?
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 11:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-06 10:12, AceExplorer wrote:
I've begun slowly paring down my rums too. There are bottles which are just not really necessary...

Some of the finer stuff we have come to appreciate (and pay much more for) really does require your palate to have achieved some degree of development

Yep, thats the point of the thread - what % are you not keen on?

This is something Im experimenting with, Ive tried making Navy Grog 3 ways:

Appleton 12 / El Dorado 12 / Bacardi 8 ~ 3.64 per drink
Appleton VX / El Dorado 5 / Bacardi Gold ~ 2 per drink
Appleton Special / OVD or Woods 100 / Bacardi Superior ~ 1.50 per drink

The 'premium' lost a bit too much kick but was good, the 'medium' is my benchmark, the 'cheap' is still fine but OVD & Woods are quite strong (I would blend this).

Im going to pick up some El Dorado 8 & pair it with Appleton 8 / Bacardi 8 ~ 2.68 per drink. Im thinking it will be between the 'premium' & 'medium' - 'upgraded'? Less kick but still lots of flavour would be ideal.

What to give guests is another matter:

if the focus was a few people appreciating a few drinks I'd serve the the medium & premium stuff (for comparing & I'd have either).

If it was less about the drinks I'd serve the 'cheap' stuff, not to be mean but to use it up!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 1:25 pm   Permalink

I'm not a big drinker and I live in an area where it is hard to find anything but Bacardi, Parrot Bay, and Captain Morgan so my "collection" is simple:
Cruzan Aged Dark which is OK
Kraken Spiced which I enjoy
Myers' Dark which I didn't care for
Bacardi 151 which I reserve for lighting things on fire

So 3 out of my 4 rums serve their purpose, that makes 75%

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 2:35 pm   Permalink

Cruzan Aged Light
Bacardi Gold - will probably replace with Don Q - Just as good in my book.
Appleton Special (Gold)
Appleton Extra (12 yr old)
Appleton VX
Appleton 21 year old
Smith & Cross
Meyer's Jamaican
El Dorado 5yr & 12yr & Cuba Libre Dark
Kohala Bay
Lemon Hart 151
Coruba
St. James Old & Hors D'Age
Clement VSOP
Pussers
Mt. Gay Black Barrel
Zaya
Barbancourt 5-Star
Black Seal
Blackwell
Bacardi Oakheart
Sailor Jerry
Cruzan Blackstrap

Those 26 are my staples and I replace them as needed. Each has it's place in my various recipies and some are replaced more frequently than others. I'm not big on spiced rum, but it has it's place in a few drinks that require it. I find myself replacing Jamaican rums more frequently than the others.

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-08-07 16:54 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-06 13:25, MadDogMike wrote:
So 3 out of my 4 rums serve their purpose, that makes 75%

100% of my rums serve their Porpoise....

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Yep, thats the point of the thread - what % are you not keen on?

That's hard to answer concisely, but I think I can give you a feel for what I'm doing. I'm moving towards Don Q and Cruzan (retiring any few remaining Bacardi, except Bacardi for what I call my "base" or less-exotic rums. I'm retiring Myers's dark in favor of Coruba. The dilemma, as you noted, is that it can be kinda mean to serve the lower end stuff to people. I *always* use high-end ingredients with my tiki friends. But there are times when average Joe's visit who cannot appreciate the higher end stuff. Fortunately even the low end stuff tends to work well when paired with fresh juices and accurate measures, and I'm fine with that. And that's where I run into my dilemma -- maybe I need to keep some of my lower-end rums in stock for exactly those situations where high-end stuff is not called for or required.

Percentage wise, I have 35 to 40 rums cataloged at the moment, and there are probably five that I would allow to become depleted So I'm in the 10% to 15% bracket. I have a number of sipping rums that I don't use for mixing. Some of these sipping rums make it into flasks for sipping during the relatively brief northeast Florida winter when temps drop to near-freezing or below. Yum!

There ya go - a long answer to a short question.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-07 05:53 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-08-06 15:36, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:
The low end stuff tends to work well when paired with fresh juices and accurate measures, and I'm fine with that. And that's where I run into my dilemma -- maybe I need to keep some of my lower-end rums in stock for exactly those situations where high-end stuff is not called for or required.

I'm wondering if i need a the two tier bar I have at the mo - I'm the person who drinks most of my booze & when a friend comes over I'd probably make the drink with the good liqour!

I also agree, sometimes you don't need the posh stuff

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bender_Rodriguez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-08 11:12 am   Permalink

My primary rums that I keep going back to are as follows:

Clement VSOP, Appleton Reserve, Appleton 12-Year: Primarily for Mai Tais

Gosling's Black Seal: Mostly for Dark and Stormies

El Dorado 3-Year: For any drink requiring a silver rum (Daquiris, Pina Coladas, Blue Hawaiians, Mojitos, Scorpions, etc...)

Lemon Hart 151: Essential for Zombies

Zaya: Mostly for Cuba Libres and occasionally for sipping

El Dorado 12 and 15: 12 on the rocks and the 15 is sipped neat

Cruzan Aged, Flor de Cana Gold, Flor de Cana Extra Dry, Mount Gay Eclipse Gold, Pyrat XO, Coruba, Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23: All rums I enjoy, but wouldn't necessarily replace right away once I finish them. The Cruzan is my basic gold rum for most standard tiki cocktails however.

Sailor Jerry, Seven Tiki: Decent Cubra Libre, but mostly keep around for casual rum drinkers who only want a rum and Coke.

Malibu Passion Fruit, Bacardi 151: Been sitting on my shelf for ages and likely will never use.

[ This Message was edited by: Bender_Rodriguez 2013-08-08 11:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bender_Rodriguez 2013-08-08 11:18 ]

View Profile of Bender_Rodriguez Send a personal message to Bender_Rodriguez  Goto the website of Bender_Rodriguez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation