FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Pacific Ocean Park book available now!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Pacific Ocean Park book available now!
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 05:16 am   Permalink

Hi all - I'd normally post this in "Beyond Tiki" - but since my upcoming book on the long-lost P.O.P. has such a high TIPSI quotient, I figured I'd post it here...

'Pacific Ocean Park: The Rise and Fall of L.A.'s Space Age Nautical Pleasure Pier' is an upcoming book by Christopher Merritt and Domenic Priore on Feral House, set to be released sometime in Spring of 2014.

We're just getting started with a Facebook page I'll be updating occasionally - please go check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/PacificOceanParkBook

Thanks!

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - changed subject to indicate "available now" - 2014-07-13 17:59 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 1:52 pm   Permalink

There are lots of fans of the ol' P.O.P here

TikiCentral: Pacific Ocean Park, Venice CA

and if the book is as entertaining and informative as Knotts Preserved, then it will be a welcome addition to all our book shelves.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 1:56 pm   Permalink

That is the one place I wish I could have seen in person! Looking forward to the book

[ This Message was edited by: sandradee 2013-08-06 20:14 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 6:12 pm   Permalink

Couldn't come from any better 2 pop culture experts: 1 on beach culture and the other on theme parks! But do we have to wait till next year? What a tease!
Day one.
Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 7:30 pm   Permalink

Agreed, Dominic's pop surf culture book was excellent!
Hell be at the Surf Guitar 101 convention this Sat.
And have books with him for sale.
And probably his beach boys and riot on the sunset strip books too.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-06 9:08 pm   Permalink

Always looking for another great book for my collection...keep us posted!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 10:38 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone! Domenic and I are very excited to bring this out - it's been in the works for far too long. We have a great publisher in Adam Parfrey and Feral House - and a really talented book designer in Sean Tejaratchi.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 3:26 pm   Permalink

Hi all -
Sorry for the lack of updates - but after much. much hard work by all of us, the book is finally at the printers. Here's the cover:

There is a good amount on the Mystic Isles section of the park, and the Mystery Island Banana Train ride in particular - you can pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Ocean-Park-L-s/dp/1934170526

(Although the page count is a misprint - it isn't 360 pages, more like 265…)

Best!

Chris M (Tangaroa)

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 3:28 pm   Permalink

Oh - and please join our Facebook page - I put up a new image every day - there are some fun Jim Casey tikis up today….

https://www.facebook.com/PacificOceanParkBook

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 3:42 pm   Permalink

Neato subject matter, Tong, thanx for tackling an ignored subject of my incredible So. Cal childhood. Part of my endless thrills there would include starring at whatever nuttiness the venerable rock club The Cheetah had going on next door, got my first mental image of Alice Cooper there, sure wish I'd snagged any of the many sketched posters tacked up. Any mention of The Cheetah in the book? It's worthy of a book all it's own!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-30 4:55 pm   Permalink

WOW...how exciting. Looking forward to adding this book to my collection.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-03-30 5:25 pm   Permalink

"Forward by Brian Wilson"

What a great plus to what already looks to be a great book! Can't wait.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-31 6:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-30 15:26, Tangaroa wrote:
Hi all -
Sorry for the lack of updates - but after much. much hard work by all of us, the book is finally at the printers. Here's the cover:

Just ordered two copies. My most vivid memory, from when I was a wee kid, was the diving bell attraction. Can't wait to see what else I might recall from POP!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-31 6:16 pm   Permalink

If its anything like Dominic's Pop surf culture book,
it will be amazing and must have.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-30 15:42, msteeln wrote:
Neato subject matter, Tong, thanx for tackling an ignored subject of my incredible So. Cal childhood. Part of my endless thrills there would include starring at whatever nuttiness the venerable rock club The Cheetah had going on next door, got my first mental image of Alice Cooper there, sure wish I'd snagged any of the many sketched posters tacked up. Any mention of The Cheetah in the book? It's worthy of a book all it's own!

Hi Msteeln -

Yes - we have a whole section on the Cheetah nightclub, including many of those sketched posters you mention, photos of The Doors and The Byrds playing, etc.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation