FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » What drink was served inthe Don the Beachcomber bust mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What drink was served inthe Don the Beachcomber bust mug?
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 2:41 pm   Permalink

I wonder if maybe no drink was ever specifically paired with the mug. Maybe they were only available in the gift shop. Or maybe if you bought one they'd put any of the drinks on the menu in it.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 4:10 pm   Permalink

Just for reference, here's the two long-neck versions, flanking the short neck mug.
Quote:

On 2013-08-08 14:41, arriano wrote:
I wonder if maybe no drink was ever specifically paired with the mug. Maybe they were only available in the gift shop. Or maybe if you bought one they'd put any of the drinks on the menu in it.

I believe that's probable. Those hat brims are awful vulnerable for regular restaurant use, what with bussing tables and washing.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-08 16:21 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-09 09:51 am   Permalink

That's assuming a gift shop. If there was, I would think we'd see a lot more of these around. Consider the Mara Amu mug at the Mai-Kai. The mug you can buy and take home is one of the most common marked mugs in Tiki next to the Kahiki #1.

But it is also true that it would have been expensive to make and hard to keep intact.

Maybe this is a question for BVD when I talk to him again. Even with Donn out, he'd have to know about a mug made in his likeness.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-09 10:18 am   Permalink

Who is BVD?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-11 02:53 am   Permalink

Here is my long neck yellow version. To the best of my knowledge this is the oldest of the variations. Assumed to be from the late 50's -60's it stands to reason, primitive technique and the bottom is glazed with kiln markings and no locations. Very delicate with the hat attached. I agree, I don't think the mug was cocktail specific because of vulnerability my guess as well it was sold from a gift shop or stand or from the back bar. Holden, Paul, Squid would also help us to understand the process of vintage mug making in production mug types and would be well suited to help pin point it's era. This mug is fantastic and a wonderful example of now vintage production. I love production mugs, I call them nickel mugs, because mine were my parents hand me downs or bought at garage sales and early eBay for 5 cents to 99 cents. Advertisement mugs practically a throw-a-way, not made well particularly but to me that's what a tiki mug is and there is something very endearing about them to most of us.
I also heard from a few prize collectors that the short neck is a rip off job not commissioned by DTB came out much later. True? Your thoughts?

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-11 09:25 am   Permalink

I've seen a green version of the long neck which was unglazed and signed on the bottom and had much more detail. I would imagine that's the earliest, before the mold started to wear out. The short necked mugs were made by Daga, so likely only for the Hawaii locations.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation