FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Best substitution for grapefruit juice in a Navy Grog?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Best substitution for grapefruit juice in a Navy Grog?
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-08 14:51, Sixx wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-08-08 14:47, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Just make a different cocktail.

I don't want to.

I wouldn't get hung up on what you're making - it's all a form of planters punch IMO: some juice, some sweetener, some liquor, some liquor!

There are 2 navy grog versions to my mind, don beach with honey & trader vic with sugar & pimento. I prefer the don beach version.

i think the honey & grapefruit combo is what works in the don beach version, I would make the trader vic version & use fresh OJ instead of grapefruit (OJ is great with pimento).

I've made navy grog 'type drinks' with lime & lemon, they were ok but not as good as the original.

For me, substituting an ingredient in a drink shows you how important it is sub away!

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-11 11:53 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-05-30 6:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-09 20:16, Sixx wrote:
I ended up using two parts orange jucie and one part lemon juice as a substitution. I don't know if it was a spot-on approximation, but it tasted good! lol

The OJ & Lemon combination works fairly well as a substitute for grapefruit juice, but I find adding a dash of Tonic water as well adds that other level of bitterness that otherwise would be missing.

If you want it pink - just add a couple drops of grenadine for color.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-30 11:41 pm   Permalink

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pineapple juice as a viable alternative to grapefruit yet. I've seen it mentioned in the context of DtB grog recipes here several times.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-01 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-30 23:41, PalmtreePat wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned pineapple juice as a viable alternative to grapefruit yet. I've seen it mentioned in the context of DtB grog recipes here several times.

For years I used to use pineapple in place of grapefruit in the mai kai rum barrel which worked great. I don't have an ailment or medical reason not to use grapefruit but I used to find that when I used local Texas (red) grapefruit or any bottled kind that it overpowered every other flavor in the drinks I made when I used the amount called for in the recipe. I've since found that if I cut the amount of grapefruit in half it balances much better. That is unless I have access to Florida white grapefruits in which case I go full amount.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Merl Diver

Posted: 2016-08-22 1:13 pm   Permalink

The Jasmine (gin, lemon juice, Campari, Cointreau) tastes remarkably like grapefruit -- I'd experiment with some of those ingredients, lemon and bitter Campari in particular.

View Profile of Merl Diver Send a personal message to Merl Diver      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation