FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Recipe: Easy Zombie - home made recipes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Recipe: Easy Zombie - home made recipes
Canned Tuna

Posted: 2013-08-15 10:56 am   Permalink

I developed this recipe after testing a few others I found online. It's a little lighter and the ingredients can be purchased anywhere. You can make it more exotic using the bitters and/or falernum.

1/2 oz white rum
1/2 oz 151 (or dark rum, but not Meyers)
1/2 oz trip sec
1/2 oz orange juice
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz sour mix
dash bitters (optional)
dash falernum (optional)

Shake with ice. Garnish with pineapple wedge and cherry.

[ This Message was edited by: Canned Tuna 2013-08-15 13:46 ]

View Profile of Canned Tuna Send a personal message to Canned Tuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 12:04 pm   Permalink

You might consider coming up with a new name.

And putting more booze in it!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-15 12:09 pm   Permalink

I agree. Zombies should have 3X more booze. They should turn you into a "Zombie."

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 12:29 pm   Permalink

"Limit Two Per Customer, Please."

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 12:43 pm   Permalink

I'd call that a slight variation of a Bermuda Rum Swizzle (or, maybe, call it an "Orange Hawaii").

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canned Tuna

Posted: 2013-08-15 1:43 pm   Permalink

The first day my wife and I made some recipes of the net, she passed out about 1/2 way through one drink. lol This still carries the "essence" of one of those without the knockout punch or hard liquor taste. I'm not a fan of the "one and done" cocktails.

View Profile of Canned Tuna Send a personal message to Canned Tuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 3:20 pm   Permalink

It carries the essence of what? The recipe you posted bears no resemblance to a Zombie.

I believe the Bum did publish an actual 'simplified zombie' recipe, using Bacardi.. Never tried it, tho.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

Just call it a "Tuna Rum Punch" and save yourself a lot of agita. The only way this resembles a Zombie is that it has rum in it.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-15 15:20, happy buddha wrote:
It carries the essence of what? The recipe you posted bears no resemblance to a Zombie.

No offence to happy buddha, but people surely get in a twist about what is 'authentic' & 'not authentic'.

All credit to Mr Berry for his decoding work, you can believe the drink creators were specific about the individual products used. Sub Appleton Special or Appleton VX in a drink - they have subtle differences. Use white / pink / red grapefruit & you will get more differences. Multiply these across all 8+ ingredients, you might as well have a different drink!

I see making the 'tiki classics' as experimentation - if we're not making close to the original recipes, hopefully we're enjoying it anyway

Regarding the Zombie, I slim the 1934 Zombie down to 3 shots. I agree with what Trader Vic said "Why people drink them I don't know.... Personally, I think it's too damn strong".

If Canned Tuna's drink is not a Zombie, maybe it'll be a nice punch. I'll try it

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-15 17:06 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 5:04 pm   Permalink

Prior to getting the Beachbum books & reading about what a 1934 Zombie is, I read a few recipes on the internet. I amalgamated these & came up with my rule - 3 rums in whatever you want to call a Zombie.

I came up with my 'Jamaican Zombie', themed around jamaican rums:

1 part Wray & Nephews
1 part Appleton Special or VX
1 part Apricot Brandy
1/2 part Myers
1/4 part pimento dram
1 part lemon
1 part lime
Ice cubes & pineapple juice to fill, dash of passion fruit syrup to sweeten

I vary the amount of dark jamaican & pimento dram depending on what I have in ~ Myers & pimento dram can overpower a drink. If you get that right, its quite nice IMO - it all plays off together.

It makes an appearance every time I have several people over, I make it in a big sharer mug from Cheeky Tiki which is 60 fl oz!

Enjoy

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-15 17:09 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 6:02 pm   Permalink

to me, a zombie is not only boozy, but also has a flavor profile of grapefruit, cinnamon, lime, and clove...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 6:05 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-08-15 17:01, AdOrAdam wrote:
Quote:

If Canned Tuna's drink is not a Zombie, maybe it'll be a nice punch. I'll try it

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-15 17:06 ]

it's a Bermuda Rum Swizzle.

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 06:58 am   Permalink

Simplified or not, you've "gotta" have the cinnamon/bitters/grapefruit thing happening

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 08:23 am   Permalink

All the classic Tiki drinks are at least 2 ounces of booze and most are 3. The Zombie is even stronger.

I do sub LH 80 for LH 151 in my Zombie to make it a little less potent sometimes and keep the flavor right on.

Perhaps cannedtuna does not have the real Zombie recipe to draw from:

Zombie Punch
from “Sippin’ Safari”

.75 oz Lime Juice
.5 oz Don’s Mix (2/3 grapefruit, 1/3 cinnamon syrup)
.5 oz Falernum
1.5 oz Jamaican Rum
1.5 oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
1 oz 151 Demerara Rum
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1/8th tsp Herbsaint or Pernod
1 tsp Grenadine
.75 cup crushed ice

Most of the folks around here don't consider these exotic ingredients, but staples.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 09:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-16 08:23, Swanky wrote:

Most of the folks around here don't consider these exotic ingredients, but staples.

In pretty much the same essential category as oxygen.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation