FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Easy Zombie - home made recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Recipe: Easy Zombie - home made recipes
Canned Tuna

Posted: 2013-08-16 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-16 08:23, Swanky wrote:
Perhaps cannedtuna does not have the real Zombie recipe to draw from:

Most of the folks around here don't consider these exotic ingredients, but staples.

Which "real Zombie recipe" version is that? lol

I'm going to try a recipe that includes Don's Mix but no grapefruit, and see about modifying my recipe. Either way, it's good and the bitters and falernum just add to it. Maybe make a batch and experiment with the bitters, falernum and Dons Mix. It's light enough for a party drink. That's the idea.

I do need to improve my rums though.

View Profile of Canned Tuna Send a personal message to Canned Tuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-16 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

Perhaps cannedtuna does not have the real Zombie recipe to draw from:

...Zombie Punch from Sippin Safari...

Most of the folks around here don't consider these exotic ingredients, but staples.

RE the thread & Zombies:

The thought crossed my mind too (no offence Mr CannedTuna), so I suggested changing the thread to including home made reciepes. As a newbie putting your 1st post as 'heres my version of a tiki classic' is bold!

I'm interested if people will put their home made Zombie drink reciepes 'out there' & see what others think.

Re: ingredients

I agree, once you pick up something 'exotic' & to makes a great drink, you never go back

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canned Tuna

Posted: 2013-08-16 11:05 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-08-16 10:38, AdOrAdam wrote:
Quote:

Re: ingredients

I agree, once you pick up something 'exotic' & to makes a great drink, you never go back

I'm an avid cook so I know how important GOOD ingredients are. To put in perspective, I've had to explain what curacao was to a handful of local liquor stores looking for ingredients. I'm currently composing a small list to purchase online.

View Profile of Canned Tuna Send a personal message to Canned Tuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 11:14 am   Permalink

For a long time, my home Zombie was basically the Spievak 1950, but with Gosling's 151 in place of 151 Demerara (when I couldn't get Lemon Hart), grapefruit instead of pineapple, and Coruba in place of the white rum which is a waste of space in this drink imo. So basically:

• teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 ounce white grapefruit juice
• 1 ounce lemon juice
• 1 ounce lime juice
• 1 ounce passion fruit syrup
• 1 ounce gold PR rum
• 1 ounce Coruba
• 1 ounce Gosling's 151
• heavy dash Angostura bitters
• mint sprig garnish

The straight 1 ounce measures made it easy and I think the grapefruit makes this an improvement over the Spievak, but now that I can get LH 151 I pretty much stick with the 1934.

Interestingly, while my wife often complains that several of the hardcore classic Tiki drinks are too boozy, she can suck 1934 Zombies down like nobody's business!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-08-16 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-16 11:05, Canned Tuna wrote:
I've had to explain what curacao was to a handful of local liquor stores looking for ingredients. I'm currently composing a small list to purchase online.

To my mind all the ingredients in a drink make it what it is. Try these without rum:

http://putneyfarm.com/2012/04/12/tiki-cocktails-the-sumatra-kula/
http://rumdood.com/2012/06/07/missionarys-downfall/

I double the lime / grapefruit / OJ / honey mix in the Sumatra Kula. But do the Missionarys Downfall as it is. IMO Two drinks that prove it aint all about alcohol, I'd drink them all day if I was near a blender:-)

This thread is good help for picking rum: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45005&forum=10&9

Where are you from? Give us a mini introduction in the introduction thread

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-08-16 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-16 11:14, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
For a long time, my home Zombie was basically the Spievak 1950, but with Gosling's 151 in place of 151 Demerara (when I couldn't get Lemon Hart), grapefruit instead of pineapple, and Coruba in place of the white rum which is a waste of space in this drink imo. So basically:

• teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 ounce white grapefruit juice
• 1 ounce lemon juice
• 1 ounce lime juice
• 1 ounce passion fruit syrup
• 1 ounce gold PR rum
• 1 ounce Coruba
• 1 ounce Gosling's 151
• heavy dash Angostura bitters
• mint sprig garnish

The straight 1 ounce measures made it easy and I think the grapefruit makes this an improvement over the Spievak, but now that I can get LH 151 I pretty much stick with the 1934.

Interestingly, while my wife often complains that several of the hardcore classic Tiki drinks are too boozy, she can suck 1934 Zombies down like nobody's business!

Yep - thats why I made my own, no LH151. I use Woods 100 or El Dorado 5 as my demeraras.

Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 07:51 am   Permalink

It's worth the effort to make these drinks as close to the originals as possible. Anyway, that's part of the fun.

I would just rename the simple version and add to the long list of tiki drinks.

Besides, nothing kicks ass like a real Zombie.

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation